Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saticon3

Windows 10 stuck in Auto Repair Mode

10 posts in this topic

OK, throwing a computer issue out that has me at wit's end-- one of my daughters' computers self-updated to windows 10 a while back- she's hated 10 ever since- not to worry I told her, I had read you can roll back to 7- except I didn't read on where it said you had 30 days to roll back or you're stuck. Procrastinator me missed the deadline. Still, it's been more or less ok UNTIL-- now it won't boot, keeps going into automatic repair mode, but then says it can't repair- then just goes back to auto repair- I tried all the included options, system restore, even system re-set, none of the operations will work. I tried to disable the auto repair by command prompt bcedit recovery no, but it says that is not a valid command. I've tried every solution I've found by research and so far nothing has worked. Can't go to safe mode, previous build, nothing gets me past the auto repair mode- I can get to command prompt, but all the suggested commands don't show as valid. Any ideas?

Drastic Measure, you'll Lose Everything!

Get a W7 disc off Ebay or some PC place

Not sure myself, think it's F2 but look up online how to get to the C: prompt on Boot Up

Then type C:Format

Everything will be Wiped then install the W7 disc

Or take it out to Micro Center in Towson and see if they can do anything for you

Drastic Measure, you'll Lose Everything!

Get a W7 disc off Ebay or some PC place

Not sure myself, think it's F2 but look up online how to get to the C: prompt on Boot Up

Then type C:Format

Everything will be Wiped then install the W7 disc

Or take it out to Micro Center in Towson and see if they can do anything for you

Thanks I don't mind re-formatting--  I just didn't know about getting an OS installation disc--- forgive me I'm just an experienced self taught novice-- I was looking at OS install discs on e-bay my question is I don't have to pay for the license- because if I do it would be cheaper just to get another used PC but from what you say and I suspect, I can get an install disc cheap-- and can use my product key which is on the machine to install it then won't need the license, is that accurate?

BTW, Towson's out, I live in FL now! 3 years coming up next month since I fled the People's Republic of MD!

I bought a full W7 Home Edition disc from Micro Center on sale a couple yrs ago with the COA license. EZ Install on my old Vista machine. It's around here somewhere. I'm sure you can find them on Ebay and some other sites. May have a hard time finding them in your usual retail outlets anymore though. They're still out there if you look around.

Thanks, guys- finally solved it-- what was crazy was I just could not get rid of Win 10! It wouldn't let me format even from a command prompt. No matter what I did, even trying to boot from cd, it went to 10 auto repair mode. So I took the hard drive out and hooked it up externally to another PC- I have an external set up for things like cloning and testing HD's before I bother to put them in as I'm always acquiring used ones and/or switching ones around, but anyway I formatted  with it hooked up to the other pc, put it back in, and it STILL went into auto repair mode win 10 even though the drive was showing as empty! Its haunted!

I happened to have another HD on hand that was going to be for another project so I put it in. I had acquired a Windows 7 install disc for about $4.00 on e-bay  so I fresh installed win7-- but the COA wasn't accepted, I guess because it has been converted to 10 when they did the upgrade to it- after 30 days, I hear you can't go back. But then I found a genuine win7 COA on e-bay for another $4.00 and they sent it to me by e-mail less than an hour after I bought it-- it was accepted and its been running great ever since. What's crazy though is they say they are sending me the broken motherboard on which the COA was originally matched to- they say they have to do that to comply with Microsoft licensing and e-bay policy. Still it was only $4.00 with free- shipping, tough to figure out how they're making nay money  that way, but it works for me. (maybe they're just saying that but won't actually send it?)

I'm guessing there's a bunch of clever folks out there who record or snatch the COA stickers from discarded PC's and they would still be valid as long as used on only one machine? So, my old one may still be valid for 10? I'll give that a try on one of my next project computer just to see. 

Edited by Saticon3

but here's a new problem- you know the original hard drive that I couldn't get 10 off of? Well, now when I hook it up to the other machine externally its not recognized since I formatted it--- I suppose I wiped off the drivers but how can I install the drivers if it won't even show up in device manager?

Edited by Saticon3

so, I am getting ready to turn this ressurected one back over to my daughter, I put anti-virus, Obit Unistaller, Google Chrome, Firefox, Malware bytes, all that on it, is there anything I'm forgetting? Not worried about back ups as it has a secondary internal HD that she saves all the stuff on and now with the install disc and coa I can always re-install the os again if need be. 

so, I am getting ready to turn this ressurected one back over to my daughter, I put anti-virus, Obit Unistaller, Google Chrome, Firefox, Malware bytes, all that on it, is there anything I'm forgetting? Not worried about back ups as it has a secondary internal HD that she saves all the stuff on and now with the install disc and coa I can always re-install the os again if need be. 

If she gets an email that starts like this... Привет, товарищ, don't click on any attachments.  ;)