Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

2017 MD HS Football Schedules

351 posts in this topic

I think Bullis vs QO is a very interesting game from a MoCo standpoint. It's a good measuring stick for local purposes to compare team from different leagues in the DC area. I don't think they have ever played and are maybe a bike ride away from each other. It's a lower grade version of the Northwest vs. GC game. Except that game should be a blow out.

City-Poly is probably more of a Bmore local game. From a pure football perspective it doesn't move the needle regionally as neither is really a top flight program any longer. They are competitive with each other and makes for a good match up. But it has local historical significance and gets the nod accordingly.

Patterson vs. Dunbar - probably a higher grade version of City vs. Poly? Don't hold me to that.

Calvert Hall vs. Loyola. Obviously the big annual game no matter the fact that CHC is a different animal than Loyola on paper. Both catholic schools with tons of overlap, history and "significance". Loyola will throw everything at them and give them a much better game than anyone expects. It's similar to Georgetown Prep vs Gonzaga. If the game isn't any good, there will be solo cups overflowing and a lot of networking in the parking lot. Good place to get a job or a date.

I like the rest of the games noted.

That's the point about my list. It's MY list. Your analysis is YOUR analysis. City vs Poly is more than a local game. It's part of ESPN's Great American Rivalry series and is a homecoming game for former graduates locally, regionally and nationally.

The other two games are just as interesting and important in MY estimation as a Baltimore City resident.

I posted MY list on this thread and another all-metro post on the Baltimore Baketball thread to get some discussion going and for people to put out THEIR lists. Most people choose to tear down (Not You) rather than expand the discussion. At least you gave a reason why you liked Bullis vs Quince Orchard. Any other games you think might be worth seeing this Fall?

City - How can City vs Lake week 1 be a scrimmage? Are they both playing 9 game schedules?

I guess so, with city, poly and several D2 schools seem to only have 9 games schedules. I want to see if Dunbar only have 9 to for their fight with randallstown.

City - How can City vs Lake week 1 be a scrimmage? Are they both playing 9 game schedules?

The thing that's crazy u letting the kids play the game but it does not count.

That's the point about my list. It's MY list. Your analysis is YOUR analysis. City vs Poly is more than a local game. It's part of ESPN's Great American Rivalry series and is a homecoming game for former graduates locally, regionally and nationally.

The other two games are just as interesting and important in MY estimation as a Baltimore City resident.

I posted MY list on this thread and another all-metro post on the Baltimore Baketball thread to get some discussion going and for people to put out THEIR lists. Most people choose to tear down (Not You) rather than expand the discussion. At least you gave a reason why you liked Bullis vs Quince Orchard. Any other games you think might be worth seeing this Fall?

Im interested in Bullis-QO for obvious reasons (MoCo guy, QO Alum, etc.).  

I am also looking forward to  Spalding vs Annapolis.  Both squads are coming off of good (some would say unexpected) runs in 2016.  

Curley vs Linganore also peaks my interest.  Both programs have had good success in the past but recently have fallen back to the middle of their respective leagues.  I think this game may be the most competitive of the Public vs Private matchups we have this year.   

I completely understand it being your list - and you are correct I wasn't trying bust any chops.  My comments were really a follow up to the games that Nomad picked out.  I was agreeing that, to me, they probably weren't as "big" as the rest to a broad spectrum of people and just adding context why from my interest.  

I am curious about Gilman to see how they rebound.  And since I have good intel on Prep's team - I am interested in that game.  I expect others might not care any more than I care about City-Poly.   The Gilman vs SFA game will be a grudge match that could be the most lopsided score we will see all season if SFA is what everyone says on paper.  Not knocking Gilman. My reason for saying that is SFA might not hold back like in a typical mismatch given the blood.

That being said, Georgetown Prep vs. Gonzaga is also part of the Great American Rivalry Series.  But it is generally considered a structured mis-match.  People come out for the environment knowing the likely outcome and to see how many punches the underdog can land.  So yes - I am jacked about that game.  But I don't think anybody from Franklin, Wise or Gorman cares whatsoever.  And Loyola guys might only care because they are all Jesuit schools.  

St. Johns (DC) has a handful of national games that will be interesting.  Perhaps not necessarily from a competitive standpoint - but to see how their controversial approach turns out for them getting wins.  People will be all over these guys this year.  The agenda is not "compete".  The bar has been set at "win".

McD vs. DM is interesting.  Take what is going on at SFA and SJC out of the equation and those are the two supposed top programs in Balt. & DC.  I don't think McD has the horses on the roster for that one - but I suspect it will be a 2 score game. 

I am curious to see how Ft. Hill does with Friendship.  Although I don't think Friendship is what they used to be in the Rahim days.  They will still have more speed than FH typically sees in the 1A.  But I don't think either of those teams will prove to be world beaters - even if they play an entertaining 5X OT game.  Same goes for Dunbar vs Alleghany.  

I think DM crushes Franklin.  But I like Franklin for taking the game.  Calvert Hall vs. Wise should be really interesting.  Wise, like Douglas (PG) a couple years ago ran up gaudy stats playing a strength of schedule in the high single digits...but that is what teams with a couple of guys can do (while they have them) when they have no significant competition.  CHC is a very solid program - but not elite y national standards.  So they should handle Wise easily regardless as their main guy (Laws) is gone along with a few others.  

Posted (edited)

City isn't allowed to play a game Week 1 because of the fight vs. Poly in their last game last season; Poly got the same punishment too.

The Baltimore City D-II teams play 9 game schedules frequently, although Week 1 should be by far the easiest week to find games for.

I guess so, with city, poly and several D2 schools seem to only have 9 games schedules. I want to see if Dunbar only have 9 to for their fight with randallstown.

Dunbar has a full 10 game schedule:

Dunbar:

Week 1 (9/1)- at Allegany

Week 2 (9/9)- at Potomac

Week 3 (9/15)- at City

Week 4 (9/22)- Mervo

Week 5- at IMG Academy Varsity (FL)

Week 6 (10/6)- at Poly

Week 7 (10/13)- Douglass (Baltimore City)

Week 8 (10/19)- at Digital Harbor

Week 9 (10/27)- at Edmondson

Week 10 (11/3)- Patterson

Edited by eaglesinsider

Posted (edited)

Im interested in Bullis-QO for obvious reasons (MoCo guy, QO Alum, etc.).

I am also looking forward to Spalding vs Annapolis. Both squads are coming off of good (some would say unexpected) runs in 2016.

Curley vs Linganore also peaks my interest. Both programs have had good success in the past but recently have fallen back to the middle of their respective leagues. I think this game may be the most competitive of the Public vs Private matchups we have this year.

I didn't check but is Spalding vs Annapolis down in the Capittal City? I've never been to Annapolis HS. Good pre-game watering holes in downtown Annapolis. Curley vs Linganore might be good but it depends on the new Friars' coaching staff. Edited by TheGuru

I completely understand it being your list - and you are correct I wasn't trying bust any chops. My comments were really a follow up to the games that Nomad picked out. I was agreeing that, to me, they probably weren't as "big" as the rest to a broad spectrum of people and just adding context why from my interest.

I am curious about Gilman to see how they rebound. And since I have good intel on Prep's team - I am interested in that game. I expect others might not care any more than I care about City-Poly. The Gilman vs SFA game will be a grudge match that could be the most lopsided score we will see all season if SFA is what everyone says on paper. Not knocking Gilman. My reason for saying that is SFA might not hold back like in a typical mismatch given the blood.

That being said, Georgetown Prep vs. Gonzaga is also part of the Great American Rivalry Series. But it is generally considered a structured mis-match. People come out for the environment knowing the likely outcome and to see how many punches the underdog can land. So yes - I am jacked about that game. But I don't think anybody from Franklin, Wise or Gorman cares whatsoever. And Loyola guys might only care because they are all Jesuit schools.

St. Johns (DC) has a handful of national games that will be interesting. Perhaps not necessarily from a competitive standpoint - but to see how their controversial approach turns out for them getting wins. People will be all over these guys this year. The agenda is not "compete". The bar has been set at "win".

McD vs. DM is interesting. Take what is going on at SFA and SJC out of the equation and those are the two supposed top programs in Balt. & DC. I don't think McD has the horses on the roster for that one - but I suspect it will be a 2 score game.

I am curious to see how Ft. Hill does with Friendship. Although I don't think Friendship is what they used to be in the Rahim days. They will still have more speed than FH typically sees in the 1A. But I don't think either of those teams will prove to be world beaters - even if they play an entertaining 5X OT game. Same goes for Dunbar vs Alleghany.

I think DM crushes Franklin. But I like Franklin for taking the game. Calvert Hall vs. Wise should be really interesting. Wise, like Douglas (PG) a couple years ago ran up gaudy stats playing a strength of schedule in the high single digits...but that is what teams with a couple of guys can do (while they have them) when they have no significant competition. CHC is a very solid program - but not elite y national standards. So they should handle Wise easily regardless as their main guy (Laws) is gone along with a few others.

Outside of CHC vs Wise, City vs Poly, SFA vs Gilman and the Dunbar vs Patterson, I am most interested in seeing Fort Hill come down from the mountains to play in a non-playoff game. The Sentinels are definitely the team I love to hate (but respect).

I also want to see how Franklin's new QB (ex-CHC QB) does against DeMatha. It will be a tough fight but I want him to shine whether or not they win or lose to the Stags. He deserved better at CHC but he's at Franklin now and I hope they make it back to M&T Bank stadium in December.

Outside of CHC vs Wise, City vs Poly, SFA vs Gilman and the Dunbar vs Patterson, I am most interested in seeing Fort Hill come down from the mountains to play in a non-playoff game. The Sentinels are definitely the team I love to hate (but respect).

I also want to see how Franklin's new QB (ex-CHC QB) does against DeMatha. It will be a tough fight but I want him to shine whether or not they win or lose to the Stags. He deserved better at CHC but he's at Franklin now and I hope they make it back to M&T Bank stadium in December.

Don't Franklin return their QB? The CHC kid will have to take the job away from the kid.

SFA vs Don Bosco Prep - DBP has a new coach who is better with NJ daddy ball. SFA wins in a close one.

DeMatha vs. Gorman - Close game. DM wins. Both teams are stacked. DM struggles with opponents that buy in to the team scheme(Gonzaga, Wood, SJR) and plays extremely well when they are matched athletically(Miami Central, AHP). Gorman may be both, but who knows with transfered up squads.

QO vs Bullis - Very close. Both teams are built similarly. QO wins behind their RB.

Gilman vs Prep - Close game. Not sure Prep has anyone to keep up with Spanky.

Good Counsel vs Northwest - GC by 3 TD's.

SFA vs IMG - IMG wins big.

Side note - Loyola vs CHC has much more of a Gonzaga vs SJC vibe to me.

SFA vs Don Bosco Prep - DBP has a new coach who is better with NJ daddy ball. SFA wins in a close one.

DeMatha vs. Gorman - Close game. DM wins. Both teams are stacked. DM struggles with opponents that buy in to the team scheme(Gonzaga, Wood, SJR) and plays extremely well when they are matched athletically(Miami Central, AHP). Gorman may be both, but who knows with transfered up squads.

QO vs Bullis - Very close. Both teams are built similarly. QO wins behind their RB.

DeMatha beating Gorman would be the biggest win in state history. Hope you're right. Especially since Gorman hasn't lost in years.

Like I said on another thread, can't really gauge Gilman until I see who the hell they have coaching. I'm still hearing that it might be a coaching change. They will be very very talented at the skill positions(sans QB). Will have the best two offensive weapons in the league in Spanky and Madison. Means nothing if the line doesn't get much better.

Will have to see what SFA looks like before I outright say they get blasted by IMG. SFA should run away with the league though. Only chance any team has(and even if they do this, it's a slim chance), would be McD moving Ellis from QB. Has anybody seen the times the kid has ran so far in track this year? Finally at a real track program and he has blown up this spring. He would be a nightmare if they used him right and start the other kid at QB. If he starts, SFA won't be the only league game they lose.

DeMatha beating Gorman would be the biggest win in state history. Hope you're right. Especially since Gorman hasn't lost in years.

Like I said on another thread, can't really gauge Gilman until I see who the hell they have coaching. I'm still hearing that it might be a coaching change. They will be very very talented at the skill positions(sans QB). Will have the best two offensive weapons in the league in Spanky and Madison. Means nothing if the line doesn't get much better.

Will have to see what SFA looks like before I outright say they get blasted by IMG. SFA should run away with the league though. Only chance any team has(and even if they do this, it's a slim chance), would be McD moving Ellis from QB. Has anybody seen the times the kid has ran so far in track this year? Finally at a real track program and he has blown up this spring. He would be a nightmare if they used him right and start the other kid at QB. If he starts, SFA won't be the only league game they lose.

Saw him this past weekend at the Bullis meet. Currently #1 100m time in the state thus far. Top 200 US overall, top 65 US in his class (2018). Isnt he committed?

Saw him this past weekend at the Bullis meet. Currently #1 100m time in the state thus far. Top 200 US overall, top 65 US in his class (2018). Isnt he committed?

Yeah, he's committed to Va. Tech. Saw the results from the Bullis meet, not sure why he and Harrison from SJC weren't in the same heat. Also saw the big long jump Ellis had. Will be interesting to see what he jumps at MIAA, with the huge jumps the Gilman kid Watson has put up.

What other position would you have Ellis? Have you seen him play any other position besides QB to know that he would do well

What other position would you have Ellis? Have you seen him play any other position besides QB to know that he would do well

I've seen him play since youth league. He can play many positions and he damn sure will not play QB in college.

I've seen him play since youth league. He can play many positions and he damn sure will not play QB in college.

100% correct. Athlete. Yes.  D1 QB.  No. In high school, especially when you are thin, you put your best athlete at QB.  He'll play in the slot in college.

Good observations.  However, Prep's strength has been defense.  Never huge - but athletic and very well coached. They have several guys to hold them down on the ground - and nobody has thrown downfield against them - or really even tried.  So if Gilman doesn't have a QB or a given at HC, not sure what to think.

Good observations. However, Prep's strength has been defense. Never huge - but athletic and very well coached. They have several guys to hold them down on the ground - and nobody has thrown downfield against them - or really even tried. So if Gilman doesn't have a QB or a given at HC, not sure what to think.

To be completely honest, I don't really know what GP returns. I was much more up to date on last seasons team and wasn't surprised at all with their season. I figured they would lose some steam. Am I wrong?

Don't Franklin return their QB? The CHC kid will have to take the job away from the kid.

Avery will win the starting position at Franklin.

Yeah, he's committed to Va. Tech. Saw the results from the Bullis meet, not sure why he and Harrison from SJC weren't in the same heat. Also saw the big long jump Ellis had. Will be interesting to see what he jumps at MIAA, with the huge jumps the Gilman kid Watson has put up.

Not sure either! There is a kid from Poly that is a freak. Think he is headed to Penn st. for track. The youngster showed out in the 100, long Jump and hurdles. MD #1 Long jump & 110 hurdles #2 100m. US # 29 hurdles, #4 long jump. 

To be completely honest, I don't really know what GP returns. I was much more up to date on last seasons team and wasn't surprised at all with their season. I figured they would lose some steam. Am I wrong?

Prep is always a solid team that can run the ball. What gets them in trouble is the simple mistakes they make like a dropped ball for a 1st down to keep the chains moving and matching up with another teams athletes. As with most teams if they play mistake free or limit the simple mistake you will find yourself in a dog fight.

Not sure either! There is a kid from Poly that is a freak. Think he is headed to Penn st. for track. The youngster showed out in the 100, long Jump and hurdles. MD #1 Long jump & 110 hurdles #2 100m. US # 29 hurdles, #4 long jump.

Yeah the kid William Henderson. Kid is a straight freak. Think he hits 25 feet in the long jump this year and get the state record. Not sure why he's going to Penn State instead of a school like Florida or LSU.

Yeah the kid William Henderson. Kid is a straight freak. Think he hits 25 feet in the long jump this year and get the state record. Not sure why he's going to Penn State instead of a school like Florida or LSU.

Penn State has great track facilities and its close to home.  Only school that comes close is OSU.