Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

2017 MD HS Football Schedules

352 posts in this topic

Dundalk at Calvert Hall is a go. Will be played Saturday night, 9/2.

All Baltimore Co. schools have to open up on 9/2 this year because the county won't let them play that Friday night (9/1) for some reason.

Westminster will be hosting Delaware private school power Salesianium this year.

Does anybody here think Westminster is a high caliber program?  How would they fare in each of the MIAA conferences?  WCAC?  IAC? 

Does anybody here think Westminster is a high caliber program?  How would they fare in each of the MIAA conferences?  WCAC?  IAC? 

Westminster is a typical mediocre public high school very dependent upon who walk through the doors each year.  Year to year they have had good and not so good seasons within CarrollCo.  I recall some years ago Westminster had a very good win-lose season but failed to make the playoffs because as a higher-tier school, I think one of the largest if not the largest school in that county yet only 3A, they booked far too many lower tier teams and Westminster stayed home during the playoffs over the point system.  How Westminster fares in the public system where they are would be a more relevant issue to me than what they could do in the MIAA, WCAC, or IAC since I just cannot recall Westminster ever making any real noise in the public playoffs let alone any public championship shouts.

Edited by DayWalker

Westminster is like most of the good but not powerhouse public schools. They have their up and down years. They are especially dependent on having a good QB with the system they run. Carroll County is especially bad football. Not a single player from the county signed with an FBS, FCS or D-II school this year.

When the got to the state semis a few years back, that team could have been a middle of the pack MIAA A school and would have won the B Conference. This year's team would have struggled with Loyola and would have been behind Pallotti and maybe BL or Curley in the MIAA B and behind Bullis, Episcopal and GP in the IAC. They'd beat ABC and maybe Ryken in the WCAC and lose by 28+ to everyone else.

Westminster is like most of the good but not powerhouse public schools. They have their up and down years. They are especially dependent on having a good QB with the system they run. Carroll County is especially bad football. Not a single player from the county signed with an FBS, FCS or D-II school this year.

When the got to the state semis a few years back, that team could have been a middle of the pack MIAA A school and would have won the B Conference. This year's team would have struggled with Loyola and would have been behind Pallotti and maybe BL or Curley in the MIAA B and behind Bullis, Episcopal and GP in the IAC. They'd beat ABC and maybe Ryken in the WCAC and lose by 28+ to everyone else.

Just curious, have you EVER seen Westminster play?  How about any Carroll County public game in person in the last 5-years? 

:PThought so.....

I imagine that so many more kids sign after "initial signing day"....  I kinda like the Baltimore kid Jamar Williams of South Carroll a little.

Edited by DayWalker

I ask because I saw them scrimmage Georgetown Prep last year.  I actually thought it would be a good contest.  I had recalled some pretty decent teams in the past.  However, much to my surprise, Prep destroyed them.  They then went on to post a 7-4 record or something like that.  Now I read that they are playing Salesianum which is a decent DE private.  They had a 2016 rank of 1,548.  So not a "power" by DMV standards, but better than anyone of Westminsters typical schedule.  

Then it sounds like you are mistaken DMV because Carroll County teams don't leave their local or surrounding areas let alone the state.  Moreover, I can't see Westminster hosting an out of state team, public nor private.  BUT, I could be wrong....

Edited by DayWalker

I ask because I saw them scrimmage Georgetown Prep last year.  I actually thought it would be a good contest.  I had recalled some pretty decent teams in the past.  However, much to my surprise, Prep destroyed them.  They then went on to post a 7-4 record or something like that.  Now I read that they are playing Salesianum which is a decent DE private.  They had a 2016 rank of 1,548.  So not a "power" by DMV standards, but better than anyone of Westminsters typical schedule.  

They were 6-4 last year.  Good ole MaxPreps list them as playing Oakdale and Urbana on the same day (09 Sept) and then playing Urbana again the following week (16 Sept)

Another hurdle Westminster (and all of Carroll County) faces is that what little talent there is gets picked over pretty well by the private schools. I think we had 4 or 5 starters who would have gone to one of the southern Carroll HS when I was at McDonogh. Gilman, McD, Loyola, CHC, MSJ, Spalding, GC and even DeMatha all currently have or had Carroll County kids on the roster in the recent past.

For McD, just of the top of my head, the Holmes family (Curtis, Travis, Bryn), Jorgensens (Joel, Jared, Isaac, Josiah), Clellands (Lance & Lane), Wyatt Cook, Gavin Clark and Jared Cohen were all good players for McDonogh from CC in the past decade or so.

On an unrelated note, Spalding is hosting 2015 FL 5A State Champ Bishop Moore in Week 2.

Hell with that I'm pissed city and poly both have to have 9 games seasons and the fake first week bye so they wouldn't say a forfeit because of the team brawl in the second quarter of last years game. Dunbar and Randallstown had a brawl to and Dunbar has a week 1 game, I call bs

Another hurdle Westminster (and all of Carroll County) faces is that what little talent there is gets picked over pretty well by the private schools. I think we had 4 or 5 starters who would have gone to one of the southern Carroll HS when I was at McDonogh. Gilman, McD, Loyola, CHC, MSJ, Spalding, GC and even DeMatha all currently have or had Carroll County kids on the roster in the recent past.

For McD, just of the top of my head, the Holmes family (Curtis, Travis, Bryn), Jorgensens (Joel, Jared, Isaac, Josiah), Clellands (Lance & Lane), Wyatt Cook, Gavin Clark and Jared Cohen were all good players for McDonogh from CC in the past decade or so.

BINGO!!!!  ExACTLY McDeesNuts!!!

And when you reach out to the various youth football leagues; not science, math, or language arts bowl, for your pickings you offer these families compensation to come and play for your schools and mix them in with full paying Kyle and Trevor who see the field just enough to please their folks who stroke that monthly full payers check.  The recruited Do Not Pay to Play and I'm speculating that you don't compensate tuition and fees and whatever for those you want who don't play --- Mercenaries / High School Athletic Scholarships!!!!

Now The Daywalker has no heartburn with this other than the private chest thumping on how such bad@zzes you all are relative to the publics who depend upon the lot that actually walk through the doors any given year, and how the better publics should step up to you privates to measure themselves, or that privates should be part of the public state championship tournament, and other bullshtye nonsense you pull out of your collective rumps for better validation at public expense.  The game, the football product at ALL levels, is best when played on a level field. Yet, the sport at the high school level is so poorly served and cheapened with your desires to reach higher standing on the shoulders of the publics.  In MD, publics can play privates during the regular season.  Certain private teams like Calvert Hall has a solid history of doing so while others like DeMatha and McDonogh and Good Counsel and Gilman et al simply don't.  Why, is another argument out of scope of my condescending lecture to you clueless privates here so I'll just move on and conclude. 

DeMatha - McDonogh - SFA - Gonzaga - Spalding et al should just have at it with the likes of Gorman - IMG - Mater Dei - Acquinas et al.  It's a level mercenary gladiator field.  Hell, I could not careless of the bloodletting you all do on Arch Carroll and doormat Loyola who can buy better teams at the high school level if they wish.  But I am NOT the least bit interested in a Gorman type environment at public expense in MD for your validation....  McDeesNuts, out right win the Bush League MIAA-A title or at least beat SFA in the fall.  Oh, and add one to more even up the 100+ year rivalry tot with Gilman and help keep GA and long lost g-Spot miserable. Make those your more immediate priorities and let the MD public schools take care of its MD public schools championships.  :rolleyes:

The privates most certainly don't need the publics to "measure themselves".  It has to do with neighborhood games that people might want to see.  Of course, the publics generally don't want to play those games because a loss feeds into the perception.  It's a Georgetown/ Maryland thing in terms of recruiting.  Make no mistake - everybody recruits to some extent.  Not all privates recruit to the extent you suggest - certainly not for football anyway.  Some do.  Some are more focused on Lax or Hoops.  Over the past decade, the public facilities have largely been improved and in many cases are superior to private facilities.  There is no tuition hurdle.  The difference is coaching and probably the stability of the neighborhoods around the publics.  That's a little more nuanced than we are going to be able to discuss here. The coaches draw the kids - tuition or not.  They create the stability in the program.  At privates, it could be argued that the "prestige" is used as the bait when all else is equal.  A recruited kid will go to a lesser football program if it means he will get a great education or avoid one of the public schools that might be an environmental problem.  And that school with a rough environment might still have a great football program.  So you do see some kids playing "down".  Further, some kids that "walk through the door" at privates can actually play.  Some are actually recruited out of youth leagues.  There are alumni kids who can get "tuition aid" at competing schools - but pay full price to go where they do.  If they weren't an alumni kid - or a dad with bank - they would be getting aid at the very school they attend.  I know this for a fact.  Just because a school is private, that doesn't mean they all want to play a national schedule.  It doesn't mean their best player is getting a penny in aid by default.  Hell, a lot don't even want to play the other over the top privates - of which there are only a handful in reality.   Still, I can see both sides of the argument because not everybody considers all of the variables in their window of time.  But I still believe that the better the public school coaching, and the better schedule they play overall, the less of an issue they will have with regard to having their talent picked off by privates - or even the public school in the jurisdiction next door. 

Edited by DMVFootball

The privates most certainly don't need the publics to "measure themselves".  It has to do with neighborhood games that people might want to see.  Of course, the publics generally don't want to play those games because a loss feeds into the perception.  It's a Georgetown/ Maryland thing in terms of recruiting.  Make no mistake - everybody recruits to some extent.  Not all privates recruit to the extent you suggest - certainly not for football anyway.  Some do.  Some are more focused on Lax or Hoops.  Over the past decade, the public facilities have largely been improved and in many cases are superior to private facilities.  There is no tuition hurdle.  The difference is coaching and probably the the stability of the neighborhoods around the publics.  That'a little more nuanced than we are going to be able to discuss here. The coaches draw the kids - tuition or not.  They create the stability in the program.  At privates, it could be argued that the "prestige" is used as the bait when all else is equal.  A recruited kid will go to a lesser football program if it means he will get a great education or avoid one of the public schools that might be an environmental problem.  And even that school might still have a great football program.  So you do see some kids playing "down".  Further, some kids that "walk through the door" at privates can actually play.  Some are actually recruited out of youth leagues.  There are alumni kids who can get "tuition aid" at competing schools - but pay full price to go where they do.  If they weren't an alumni kid - or a dad with bank - they would be getting aid at the very school they attend.  I know this for a fact.  Just because a school is private, that doesn't mean they all want to play a national schedule.  It doesn't mean their best player is getting a penny in aid by default.  Hell, a lot don't even want to play the other over the top privates - of which there are only a handful in reality.   Still, I can see both sides of the argument because not everybody considers all of the variables in their window of time.  But I still believe that the better the public school coaching, and the better schedule they play overall, the less of an issue they will have with regard to having their talent picked off by privates - or even the public school in the jurisdiction next door. 

Nah nah nah DMV, the issue is not privates not needing publics to measure themselves but rather the privates thinking that publics should measure themselves against you privates, among other things privates think publics need to do.  The DayWalker just doesn't give a nat's nuts about the former but The DayWalker calls the latter horse crap.  Publics need not measure how good they are against privates; but measure themselves against public playoffs and championships appearances and wins.  That's the public standard DMV and the only measurable standard for publics; not play against privates.  Regular season games for publics against public and private teams are merely wins or loses; playoff bound points or none.  When Franklin knocks off DeMatha in the fall, Franklin will just tally up the points earned and hope that DeMatha doesn't lose anymore to maximize Franklin's playoff points.  Franklin will not secure a guaranteed playoff slot by just defeating DeMatha.  Yet, did a blank stunned moment occur when I indicated a Franklin defeat of DeMatha???  Anyway, if DeMatha defeat Franklin, it will merely save shame in the minds and hearts of the Stag faithful yet have no impact on the WCAC league standing.

Beats the heck out of me DMV that you can refer to any private contest as "neighborhood" when unlike public schools so many if not most of the students of your privates schools are not from the neighborhoods where your schools are located.  You are off base again there DMV and even further out there with your nonsense Georgetown/Maryland "recruiting" thing.  I don't know what you are yaking about on that point.  But yes, publics do and should recruit.  Yet publics can only "recruit" kids who are otherwise eligible to attend the public school.  It's more like encourage kids to come out for the teams than the private concept of youth league stalking and recruiting complete with vitamins F A, Financial Aid / scholarships, to make it happen.  Again, your better private talents ain't Paying to Play.  And hell yes not all privates recruit expensively as you say I'm thinking you all do.  But those privates who don't extensively recruit and don't dig deep are the SM Rkyens, Arch Carrolls, Loyolas, Friends, etc of your lot.  Ask Gilman what to expect when the benjamins fail to flow.  How many college football signings did they have this season compared to previous years?  And we see at SFA even with a school in the shadow of a jail what can be and turn around over night when the money flows.

So DMV, step back a bit and better think through your arguments before you come at The DayWalker.  Are you of the DC Bored Stiffs Sports Fan forum?

Sfa ain't waste no time if u look at tom lemming twitter page the top tackle in the state from northern high has transferred to sfa lmao.

Is he a senior?  Have they done a background check on the player?  Is he on the Do Not Fly List?  What's his credit score?

EI is going to have a fit over that....  :o

Lmao from a public school c/o 2018 so he legit lmao. Their line is going to bulldozer through the miaa

Edited by city40blast

Good move for him, I like it. Better comp for the 4 star 6'6 300 tackle, with offers from Ohio St, Penn St, among others. He'll have some help, too. Northern was 2-8 last year.

As they say, the privates can do what they want. The SMAC is a very good league, but at Northern he wasn't going to have a realistic shot at a county title, much less a regional or state.

Would it be a good move say if he transferred to Gilman or Mcd or any other MIAA team? Just asking

Nah nah nah DMV, the issue is not privates not needing publics to measure themselves but rather the privates thinking that publics should measure themselves against you privates, among other things privates think publics need to do.  The DayWalker just doesn't give a nat's nuts about the former but The DayWalker calls the latter horse crap.  Publics need not measure how good they are against privates; but measure themselves against public playoffs and championships appearances and wins.  That's the public standard DMV and the only measurable standard for publics; not play against privates.  Regular season games for publics against public and private teams are merely wins or loses; playoff bound points or none.  When Franklin knocks off DeMatha in the fall, Franklin will just tally up the points earned and hope that DeMatha doesn't lose anymore to maximize Franklin's playoff points.  Franklin will not secure a guaranteed playoff slot by just defeating DeMatha.  Yet, did a blank stunned moment occur when I indicated a Franklin defeat of DeMatha???  Anyway, if DeMatha defeat Franklin, it will merely save shame in the minds and hearts of the Stag faithful yet have no impact on the WCAC league standing.

Beats the heck out of me DMV that you can refer to any private contest as "neighborhood" when unlike public schools so many if not most of the students of your privates schools are not from the neighborhoods where your schools are located.  You are off base again there DMV and even further out there with your nonsense Georgetown/Maryland "recruiting" thing.  I don't know what you are yaking about on that point.  But yes, publics do and should recruit.  Yet publics can only "recruit" kids who are otherwise eligible to attend the public school.  It's more like encourage kids to come out for the teams than the private concept of youth league stalking and recruiting complete with vitamins F A, Financial Aid / scholarships, to make it happen.  Again, your better private talents ain't Paying to Play.  And hell yes not all privates recruit expensively as you say I'm thinking you all do.  But those privates who don't extensively recruit and don't dig deep are the SM Rkyens, Arch Carrolls, Loyolas, Friends, etc of your lot.  Ask Gilman what to expect when the benjamins fail to flow.  How many college football signings did they have this season compared to previous years?  And we see at SFA even with a school in the shadow of a jail what can be and turn around over night when the money flows.

So DMV, step back a bit and better think through your arguments before you come at The DayWalker.  Are you of the DC Bored Stiffs Sports Fan forum?

I am just quoting you as to the measuring my man.  If you don't understand the Gtown/ UMD hoop issue, I cant help you.  As to neighborhoods, I am not talking about schools that bring kids in from other cities.  I am talking about the local privates who are not out of control.  I don't believe that any competitor wouldn't want a shot at the best team.  And if the consensus is that - for whatever reason - the privates schools are better, then the public kids would be up for that game.  Adding in the playoff/ state championship line about that being the only goal is nonsense.   The Gilman deal is a complete separate story given what happened this past year.  Just as what is going on at SFA.  That's just a transfer of use of the same resources to chase a deam - a national championship cloaked in helping kids.  It's not really appropriate to compare that at this time.  Funny you mention Carroll and Loyola - because they don't recruit for different reasons.  One can and chooses not to for the zoo it creates.  The other wishes they could - but has neither the finances, facilities or coaching stability to be able to do so.  If Franklin were to knock of DeMatha, it would be the shot heard around the world.  Franklin's schedule and conference allows the the luxury to play a private to measure themselves AND stay in the playoff hunt even if they lose.  I give them huge pops for doing that.   Because what they are doing is proving just how good they really are compared to the better teams - which also makes them better prepared for their own season. 

Would it be a good move say if he transferred to Gilman or Mcd or any other MIAA team? Just asking

Good move for any of them. You've never heard me say otherwise. I have thousands of posts, never once have I knocked schools for recruiting the best talent. Not DeMatha, McNamara, McDonogh, Spalding, Gilman, Curley, you name it. You evidently believe fake news.

Not saying you did, just asking because SFA was the top team in league. That's all. What fake news are you referring too

Do I give you the impression that I only like transfers to transfer to defending league champions? Or, is that what you are trying to say you prefer? Don't follow why someone shouldn't transfer to wherever they can, as I've said countless times.

Was just asking if it was a good move because it was SFA or for the better competition. I don't like senior transfers and guys transferring who already have numerous college offers. Just my opinion doesn't make it right or wrong

Yea, nobody is right or wrong on this subject, it a personal choice. I was never on anything close to being on a 2-8 team, but I can't imagine it being any fun, much less with a good possibility to repeat that performance as a team.

I am just quoting you as to the measuring my man.  If you don't understand the Gtown/ UMD hoop issue, I cant help you.  As to neighborhoods, I am not talking about schools that bring kids in from other cities.  I am talking about the local privates who are not out of control.  I don't believe that any competitor wouldn't want a shot at the best team.  And if the consensus is that - for whatever reason - the privates schools are better, then the public kids would be up for that game.  Adding in the playoff/ state championship line about that being the only goal is nonsense.   The Gilman deal is a complete separate story given what happened this past year.  Just as what is going on at SFA.  That's just a transfer of use of the same resources to chase a deam - a national championship cloaked in helping kids.  It's not really appropriate to compare that at this time.  Funny you mention Carroll and Loyola - because they don't recruit for different reasons.  One can and chooses not to for the zoo it creates.  The other wishes they could - but has neither the finances, facilities or coaching stability to be able to do so.  If Franklin were to knock of DeMatha, it would be the shot heard around the world.  Franklin's schedule and conference allows the the luxury to play a private to measure themselves AND stay in the playoff hunt even if they lose.  I give them huge pops for doing that.   Because what they are doing is proving just how good they really are compared to the better teams - which also makes them better prepared for their own season. 

You were NOT quoting me nor anyone else to say privates should measure themselves against public.  It's the other way around my man in your privates saying that public teams need to measure themselves against your privates and I'm telling you and all that's hogwash and that the standard for publics is playoffs and championship appearances and state title wins.  Understand?????  The standard for privates are some league titles with or without playoffs, and opinion polls ( rankings) among hundreds / thousands of teams who don't play each other.

I understand the Georgetown/Maryland hoops matter in and of itself but you obviously don't understand that it has no nexis to MD high school football public - private recruitment.  It least you need to better articulate your analogy.  Work on it GT.  Regarding your so called shot at the best teams and if you really really believe this, then why doesn't your GT Prep play the very best or you champion the cause that they do so rather than what publics should do or you even conclude without merit that your privates are the best.  Last I heard of GT Preps was it running back to Bethesda from the MIAA with its lil hoya between its legs.  I mean come on 10-games and done GT, it this what you mean about no being out of control!!!!

Again, DeMatha will not be a measure of where Franklin stand but just another game.  Like I said, if Franklin win it will not guarantee any more than what 9 other wins will for the playoffs where it all starts again for one to go 4 and 0 --- win or go home.  GT, the combined records of the teams who won states last season was 56 and 0.  All runner-ups lost their last game.  That was the test themselves game GT and against another public team and not your privates.  Franklin according to your standard played McDonogh last season and by your take that should have prepared them well and made them unbeatable for the playoff and title game.  But how did that work out for the Indians....  GT, connect the dots and make sense in your arguments.  Right now you are a mindless private homie lost in space....so typical of your lot seeking to suggest what publics can do to help make themselves better based on your warped understanding of publics..

Edited by DayWalker

Well with him gone they probably will definitely repeat that or worse. I was always for making your legacy not joining someone else's. But to each his own.