• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#261 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

Outside of CHC vs Wise, City vs Poly, SFA vs Gilman and the Dunbar vs Patterson, I am most interested in seeing Fort Hill come down from the mountains to play in a non-playoff game. The Sentinels are definitely the team I love to hate (but respect).
I also want to see how Franklin's new QB (ex-CHC QB) does against DeMatha. It will be a tough fight but I want him to shine whether or not they win or lose to the Stags. He deserved better at CHC but he's at Franklin now and I hope they make it back to M&T Bank stadium in December.

Don't Franklin return their QB? The CHC kid will have to take the job away from the kid.

#262 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

SFA vs Don Bosco Prep - DBP has a new coach who is better with NJ daddy ball. SFA wins in a close one.

DeMatha vs. Gorman - Close game. DM wins. Both teams are stacked. DM struggles with opponents that buy in to the team scheme(Gonzaga, Wood, SJR) and plays extremely well when they are matched athletically(Miami Central, AHP). Gorman may be both, but who knows with transfered up squads.

QO vs Bullis - Very close. Both teams are built similarly. QO wins behind their RB.

Gilman vs Prep - Close game. Not sure Prep has anyone to keep up with Spanky.

Good Counsel vs Northwest - GC by 3 TD's.

SFA vs IMG - IMG wins big.

Side note - Loyola vs CHC has much more of a Gonzaga vs SJC vibe to me.

#263 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

SFA vs Don Bosco Prep - DBP has a new coach who is better with NJ daddy ball. SFA wins in a close one.
DeMatha vs. Gorman - Close game. DM wins. Both teams are stacked. DM struggles with opponents that buy in to the team scheme(Gonzaga, Wood, SJR) and plays extremely well when they are matched athletically(Miami Central, AHP). Gorman may be both, but who knows with transfered up squads.
QO vs Bullis - Very close. Both teams are built similarly. QO wins behind their RB.

DeMatha beating Gorman would be the biggest win in state history. Hope you're right. Especially since Gorman hasn't lost in years.

Like I said on another thread, can't really gauge Gilman until I see who the hell they have coaching. I'm still hearing that it might be a coaching change. They will be very very talented at the skill positions(sans QB). Will have the best two offensive weapons in the league in Spanky and Madison. Means nothing if the line doesn't get much better.

Will have to see what SFA looks like before I outright say they get blasted by IMG. SFA should run away with the league though. Only chance any team has(and even if they do this, it's a slim chance), would be McD moving Ellis from QB. Has anybody seen the times the kid has ran so far in track this year? Finally at a real track program and he has blown up this spring. He would be a nightmare if they used him right and start the other kid at QB. If he starts, SFA won't be the only league game they lose.

#264 Tomslick

Tomslick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

DeMatha beating Gorman would be the biggest win in state history. Hope you're right. Especially since Gorman hasn't lost in years.

Like I said on another thread, can't really gauge Gilman until I see who the hell they have coaching. I'm still hearing that it might be a coaching change. They will be very very talented at the skill positions(sans QB). Will have the best two offensive weapons in the league in Spanky and Madison. Means nothing if the line doesn't get much better.

Will have to see what SFA looks like before I outright say they get blasted by IMG. SFA should run away with the league though. Only chance any team has(and even if they do this, it's a slim chance), would be McD moving Ellis from QB. Has anybody seen the times the kid has ran so far in track this year? Finally at a real track program and he has blown up this spring. He would be a nightmare if they used him right and start the other kid at QB. If he starts, SFA won't be the only league game they lose.

Saw him this past weekend at the Bullis meet. Currently #1 100m time in the state thus far. Top 200 US overall, top 65 US in his class (2018). Isnt he committed?

#265 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Saw him this past weekend at the Bullis meet. Currently #1 100m time in the state thus far. Top 200 US overall, top 65 US in his class (2018). Isnt he committed?

Yeah, he's committed to Va. Tech. Saw the results from the Bullis meet, not sure why he and Harrison from SJC weren't in the same heat. Also saw the big long jump Ellis had. Will be interesting to see what he jumps at MIAA, with the huge jumps the Gilman kid Watson has put up.

#266 Blessed1

Blessed1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

What other position would you have Ellis? Have you seen him play any other position besides QB to know that he would do well

#267 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

What other position would you have Ellis? Have you seen him play any other position besides QB to know that he would do well

I've seen him play since youth league. He can play many positions and he damn sure will not play QB in college.

#268 DMVFootball

DMVFootball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:34 PM

I've seen him play since youth league. He can play many positions and he damn sure will not play QB in college.

100% correct. Athlete. Yes.  D1 QB.  No. In high school, especially when you are thin, you put your best athlete at QB.  He'll play in the slot in college.

#269 DMVFootball

DMVFootball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

Good observations.  However, Prep's strength has been defense.  Never huge - but athletic and very well coached. They have several guys to hold them down on the ground - and nobody has thrown downfield against them - or really even tried.  So if Gilman doesn't have a QB or a given at HC, not sure what to think.

#270 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

Good observations. However, Prep's strength has been defense. Never huge - but athletic and very well coached. They have several guys to hold them down on the ground - and nobody has thrown downfield against them - or really even tried. So if Gilman doesn't have a QB or a given at HC, not sure what to think.

To be completely honest, I don't really know what GP returns. I was much more up to date on last seasons team and wasn't surprised at all with their season. I figured they would lose some steam. Am I wrong?

#271 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:24 AM

Don't Franklin return their QB? The CHC kid will have to take the job away from the kid.

Avery will win the starting position at Franklin.

#272 Tomslick

Tomslick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

Yeah, he's committed to Va. Tech. Saw the results from the Bullis meet, not sure why he and Harrison from SJC weren't in the same heat. Also saw the big long jump Ellis had. Will be interesting to see what he jumps at MIAA, with the huge jumps the Gilman kid Watson has put up.

Not sure either! There is a kid from Poly that is a freak. Think he is headed to Penn st. for track. The youngster showed out in the 100, long Jump and hurdles. MD #1 Long jump & 110 hurdles #2 100m. US # 29 hurdles, #4 long jump. 

#273 Tomslick

Tomslick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

To be completely honest, I don't really know what GP returns. I was much more up to date on last seasons team and wasn't surprised at all with their season. I figured they would lose some steam. Am I wrong?

Prep is always a solid team that can run the ball. What gets them in trouble is the simple mistakes they make like a dropped ball for a 1st down to keep the chains moving and matching up with another teams athletes. As with most teams if they play mistake free or limit the simple mistake you will find yourself in a dog fight.

#274 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

Not sure either! There is a kid from Poly that is a freak. Think he is headed to Penn st. for track. The youngster showed out in the 100, long Jump and hurdles. MD #1 Long jump & 110 hurdles #2 100m. US # 29 hurdles, #4 long jump.

Yeah the kid William Henderson. Kid is a straight freak. Think he hits 25 feet in the long jump this year and get the state record. Not sure why he's going to Penn State instead of a school like Florida or LSU.

#275 HoundsDad

HoundsDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Yeah the kid William Henderson. Kid is a straight freak. Think he hits 25 feet in the long jump this year and get the state record. Not sure why he's going to Penn State instead of a school like Florida or LSU.

Penn State has great track facilities and its close to home.  Only school that comes close is OSU.  

#276 Maroontiger419

Maroontiger419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Penn State has great track facilities and its close to home. Only school that comes close is OSU.

Within 3 hour drive. Great academics plus track is nuanced with scholarships.

#277 DMVFootball

DMVFootball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

I'd say that offensively they had the talent to throw a lot more than they did last year - but with a workhorse running back they pretty much stayed the course for which they are known.  They have a rising sophomore RB that could be special for a few years.  The OL is going to be young, pretty scrappy and well coached.  They might actually have some relative size in the youth coming up. They have had less with which to work and been fine.  A young TE and FB capable of handing out headaches. A very smart and athletic QB who currently plays lax at a very high level.  If they throw, he will have options. They have speed and height at the wideout/ slot position.  They will move the ball around more so than in previous years I think.  The D will be solid again and led by the secondary keeping order while the LBs fill, slide and rack up tackles.  They have a returning 1st team all conference FS / ATH who can simply do it all with some experienced LB and CB options.  A couple of two sport guys are reportedly coming back after having taken a year off to provide some depth. It's Prep - they will be neither deep nor flashy.  Like last year, they are going to be in position, hit you hard and often.  They cannot afford injuries.  When they dictate pace, they can play with almost anyone sans the national programs.  That's my take +/-100 days out.      

#278 DMVFootball

DMVFootball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

Prep is always a solid team that can run the ball. What gets them in trouble is the simple mistakes they make like a dropped ball for a 1st down to keep the chains moving and matching up with another teams athletes. As with most teams if they play mistake free or limit the simple mistake you will find yourself in a dog fight.

True.

#279 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

Anyone see that SFA has 2 players in the top 50 for 2018.

Including the number 2 overall player. And number 47 overall player who is a OT I never heard of

#280 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

They are truely bringing in some top end talent unike before

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users