• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

Well, I know a few may have wondered and most couldn't care less but here is an update about my shoulder injury.

Things have not went well for my shoulder. 9 months later I'm still in daily pain and have limited movement. First of July I went through two weeks of bad shoulder pain. After it eased off my movement starting going backwards. It got more limited as the weeks dragged on. I kept telling people that my pain was in the muscle and the deltoid nerve in my shoulder. But it seemed like no one would listen to me about the muscle pain. It's almost like they were discounting it since it was supposed to be a shoulder injury. My orthopedic doctor started talking about a "refurbished" (my term) shoulder surgery. He wanted to replace the glenoid part of the shoulder and cap the ball on the end of my arm. So surgery was scheduled for December 21st. This was the first of September so I was going to have a 2 1/2 month wait. In the mean time I had to stop therapy to save the rest of my visits (30 a year) for after surgery. About a month before surgery the doctor calls and wants to re-evaluate the refurbished surgery. He was afraid if he did that surgery and it didn't fix the pain problem then he didn't have another avenue to go down. He was now considering arthroscopic surgery first to fix the rotator cuff tear and clean up scar tissue. He also wanted me to see his colleague that is the head of the orthopedic center for a second opinion.I went to see him next. I think he was the one that finally listened to me about the muscle pain. They then sent me for an EMG nerve conduction test. The results of the nerve conduction test showed that I now have a rare nerve condition called Brachial Neuritis. I was told that only 3 in 100,000 people get it  It tends to attack shoulder muscles when they're injured. They don't think it was from the original injury. They believe it was from when I was sick in the spring for about two months. I had a form of mono but that wasn't mono. They think that is where the Brachial Neuritis got it's start. 

Sooo, the surgery was cancelled and I go back to therapy for now until it clears up. They say it can be anywhere from a few months to a couple years. So it seems I'm stuck with pain daily until whenever my body decides to fix itself.

:cool:

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#2 PinkFlamingo

PinkFlamingo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

I'm sorry you're in such pain :(

#3 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:35 AM

Sorry to hear that, Flu. Good luck with that shoulder, you are certainly due for some.
Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#4 pahunter

pahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

Here's hoping they will do you some good, you deserve some relief from your pain.

Hoping for the best, good luck. 

#5 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,076 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

That stinks. I had some shoulder pain two years ago that took about two months to resolve.

I fractured my left radius in a car accident several years ago. I still have some issues with my radial nerve, but it's not pain as much as tingling and sensitivity. I can live with that. Yours sounds much more serious so I hope you find resolution soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#6 The Fetching Mrs. Moon

The Fetching Mrs. Moon

Most High Queen Of All Things

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

Awww hugs Flu.

#7 Hoot

Hoot

Not A Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,738 posts
  • LocationRavenstown

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

I'm sorry you're still hurting Flu, but it would have been a b**ch to have the surgery and still not have the problem corrected.  I hope the therapy works for you.  

#8 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

Thanks all!  :)

:cool:

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#9 daravenator

daravenator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,132 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

that sucks physical therapy is ok but it takes so long to correct the problem. Hope you can be pain free in the future.

#10 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,832 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

Hows it going shades?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users