Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flu

Update on Vegas shoulder injury

12 posts in this topic

Well, I know a few may have wondered and most couldn't care less but here is an update about my shoulder injury.

Things have not went well for my shoulder. 9 months later I'm still in daily pain and have limited movement. First of July I went through two weeks of bad shoulder pain. After it eased off my movement starting going backwards. It got more limited as the weeks dragged on. I kept telling people that my pain was in the muscle and the deltoid nerve in my shoulder. But it seemed like no one would listen to me about the muscle pain. It's almost like they were discounting it since it was supposed to be a shoulder injury. My orthopedic doctor started talking about a "refurbished" (my term) shoulder surgery. He wanted to replace the glenoid part of the shoulder and cap the ball on the end of my arm. So surgery was scheduled for December 21st. This was the first of September so I was going to have a 2 1/2 month wait. In the mean time I had to stop therapy to save the rest of my visits (30 a year) for after surgery. About a month before surgery the doctor calls and wants to re-evaluate the refurbished surgery. He was afraid if he did that surgery and it didn't fix the pain problem then he didn't have another avenue to go down. He was now considering arthroscopic surgery first to fix the rotator cuff tear and clean up scar tissue. He also wanted me to see his colleague that is the head of the orthopedic center for a second opinion.I went to see him next. I think he was the one that finally listened to me about the muscle pain. They then sent me for an EMG nerve conduction test. The results of the nerve conduction test showed that I now have a rare nerve condition called Brachial Neuritis. I was told that only 3 in 100,000 people get it  It tends to attack shoulder muscles when they're injured. They don't think it was from the original injury. They believe it was from when I was sick in the spring for about two months. I had a form of mono but that wasn't mono. They think that is where the Brachial Neuritis got it's start. 

Sooo, the surgery was cancelled and I go back to therapy for now until it clears up. They say it can be anywhere from a few months to a couple years. So it seems I'm stuck with pain daily until whenever my body decides to fix itself.

B)

That stinks. I had some shoulder pain two years ago that took about two months to resolve.

I fractured my left radius in a car accident several years ago. I still have some issues with my radial nerve, but it's not pain as much as tingling and sensitivity. I can live with that. Yours sounds much more serious so I hope you find resolution soon.

I'm sorry you're still hurting Flu, but it would have been a b**ch to have the surgery and still not have the problem corrected.  I hope the therapy works for you.  

Hows it going shades?

Thanks for asking, Norman. Well, I'm still in pain. It's been over a year now since my fall and injury. But with help I can get my arm almost to a 180 degree lift. Without help I'm about 90 degrees. Most of my pain is in the muscle area still. If I can get rid of that I'd be doing pretty good.

We just went to Vegas again on vacation. No trip to the Grand Canyon though. Won a couple $375.00 jackpots with the second one on the day we were leaving. That meant that money came back with me.  ;)

B)