Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woodbuchr

Prince Georege's County elected official involved in bribery case

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

At least one Prince George's county elected official, at the state level, has been declared by the FBI to have been involved in a bribery case to pass a Sunday liquor sales bill in Annapolis. There were several others involved from the liquor board and business owners who have been officially charged

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/two-prince-georges-county-liquor-board-officials-accused-in-bribery-conspiracy

“…in 2015, Son had asked the elected official to assist in passing the Sunday Sales bill by talking to one of his colleagues about the bill; both subsequently voted in favor of the bill. On April 22, 2015, after the passage of the bill, Son arranged a lunch with the elected official, with Paig and Lee. During the lunch, Son told the elected official to meet Paig in the men’s bathroom, saying that Paig is “…going to hook you up.” In the men’s bathroom, Paig handed the elected official an envelope containing a total of $4,000 cash. On October 19, 2015, Son received a $4,000 bribe payment from a lobbyist for his assistance in ensuring that the lobbyist’s clients received Sunday Sales licenses…”

One elected official apparently took a bribe and also influenced another official to vote yes on the Sunday Sales bill. At this point neither elected official has been named so it could have been a Senator or Delegate.

I am curious as to which official(s) was involved and what, if any, repercussions he/she will face. I also wonder why they haven't named the elected official.

Edited by Woodbuchr

My bet is Currie or Muse. 

I can't imagine Senator Muse taking a bribe. From my dealings with him he seems like a stand up guy. I am not that familiar with Mr. Currie.

I can't imagine Senator Muse taking a bribe. From my dealings with him he seems like a stand up guy. I am not that familiar with Mr. Currie.

Here's all you need to know about Currie. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/maryland-senate-celebrates-lawmaker-aquitted-of-corruption-charges/2015/03/19/6238f4a2-ce69-11e4-8c54-ffb5ba6f2f69_story.html?utm_term=.ddd31340f264

Don't forget, it could also be a Delegate.

Corruption -- in Prince Georges County?  I'm shocked beyond words!

Posted (edited)

from your link

"...Currie, who was acquitted of all charges, received the chamber’s coveted First Citizen Award."

he appears to be a good man

Edited by yeah

http://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2017/01/fbi-serving-warrant-at-prince-georges-county-liquor-board/

U.S. Attorney for Maryland Rod Rosenstein announced federal charges of bribery conspiracy against the board’s director, David Son, 40, and a board commissioner, 39-year-old Anuj Sud.

The owners of two liquor stores in the county also face federal charges. Prosecutors say Young Paig, 62, and Shin Lee, 55, bribed state and local officials in return for their support of legislation loosening liquor sales in the county.

Paig owns the Central Avenue Restaurant and Liquor Store and Lee owns the Palmer Liquor Store, both in Prince George’s County.

In an affidavit, prosecutors state that Son helped broker $4,000 bribes to persuade unnamed elected officials to pass a bill allowing Sunday sale permits to 100 liquor stores. In one case, authorities say surveillance video shows an unnamed elected official pulling stacks of cash out of his pockets to hand to a bank teller shortly after meeting with Paig, Lee and Son.

Posted (edited)

from your link

"...Currie, who was acquitted of all charges, received the chamber’s coveted First Citizen Award."

Lol ????

That's hysterical ????

A good man!? He took a quarter million in payments from SFW and did not tell the ethics board. And then he advocated on their behalf as a sitting state senator.

Currie’s efforts included advocating with high-ranking state officials for stoplight requests, helping faciliate the transfer of a liquor license and pushing development deals.

The senator’s attorneys acknowledged that his activities at times constituted a conflict of interest but said he never should have been charged with federal crimes. That view appeared to carry the day with the 12 jurors in U.S. District Court in Baltimore, who rendered not-guilty verdicts for Currie and the grocery executives on charges including bribery, extortion, conspiracy and lying to the FBI.

“There were clearly questionable ethical things . . . but that’s not what he was charged with,” said juror Steven Cason, 55, a software engineer from Freeland, Md. “That’s something for Annapolis and the General Assembly . . . to look at.”

The Feds failed to make their case. But the MGA giving him an award afterwards does not change the fact he was censured. I am sure he is a well paid lobbyist now.

Edited by Bawlmerian

Posted (edited)

Corruption -- in Prince Georges County?  I'm shocked beyond words!

Hilarious, and they demand that we call the county "Prince Georges Co." because calling it "PG" county is racist.  :lol:

The whole county is a pathetic joke that should be investigated by the FBI for all the rampant corruption.

Edited by Smokey 1

Lol ????

That's hysterical ????

A good man!? He took a quarter million in payments from SFW and did not tell the ethics board. And then he advocated on their behalf as a sitting state senator.

The Feds failed to make their case. But the MGA giving him an award afterwards does not change the fact he was censured. I am sure he is a well paid lobbyist now.

Mr. Currie is still a Senator for Prince George's County

Mr. Currie is still a Senator for Prince George's County

???? wow

Delegate Michael Vaughn (Prince George's County) has suddenly resigned from his seat in the House of Delegates citing ongoing health concerns. He has been mentioned in this case because he is the sole member of the committee that votes on these bills from Prince George's County. He voted yes on Sunday Sales.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/del-michael-vaughn-d-prince-georges-resigns-from-state-legislature/2017/01/11/df334e34-d453-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?utm_term=.872add8ea598

But the court filings from last week said that one elected official accused of accepting bribes, who is not named in the documents, voted in a 2015 House Economic Matters Committee hearing for a bill expanding alcohol sales in Prince George’s.

Eighteen members of the committee voted in favor of the bill, including Vaughn. Vaughn was the only Prince George’s lawmaker to vote yes. The court papers do not specify the lawmaker’s jurisdiction.

Edited by Woodbuchr

Delegate Michael Vaughn (Prince George's County) has suddenly resigned from his seat in the House of Delegates citing ongoing health concerns. He has been mentioned in this case because he is the sole member of the committee that votes on these bills from Prince George's County. He voted yes on Sunday Sales.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/del-michael-vaughn-d-prince-georges-resigns-from-state-legislature/2017/01/11/df334e34-d453-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?utm_term=.872add8ea598

I saw that. His health started declining after the feds knocked on his door. 

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/city-desk/blog/13062182/michael-vaughn-who-never-really-was-a-dallas-cowboys-player-issues-official-response-to-cheap-seats-column

Lol. Same guy got caught pretending to be a Dallas Cowboy

Look buddy, you played college ball. That's enough. I'm impressed. Millions of guys wanted to and could not. Or made a team and not the field. You played. Don't make a fool of

Yourself exaggerating

from your link

John Wayne Gacy and Ted Bundy were, at one time "considered to be good men."  :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

Well it is nice to know that politics is an equal opportunity employer.

No longer is taking bribes, pandering and making closed door deals strictly the bastion of white people. ;):lol:

I guess this equal rights thing is working out great.

Edited by Guido2

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-delegate-michael-vaughn-indicted-20170308-story.html

A federal grand jury has indicted former state Del. Michael Vaughn on charges that he took bribes to support a Prince George's County liquor license bill that was being considered by the General Assembly, authorities said.  The indictment, announced Wednesday, also alleges that Vaughn misused his campaign finance account.

Vaughn who had represented part of Prince George's County since 2003, was a member of the House leadership team before he resigned abruptly in January, citing health reasons. His resignation came days after federal officials unsealed indictments in a bribery scandal that ensnared a former state lawmaker, two county liquor board officials and two local businessmen.

As I said corruption is an equal opportunity employer. But it is interesting how since these guys are Dems and black dems to boot. When you come down to it....nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Now pop Rep. in there and there would be fire and brimstone.

I can't wait to get out of this state.