Twister

Trump, Pence moving quickly on Supreme Court pick

420 posts in this topic

Long term this is bad for them. Unless Trump endears himself to the American electorate!

You got it.

Posted (edited)

Which shows that McConnell is sleazy. I know I'm surprised.

When you originally replied to my post, you said,  "Because you choose to use this quote, I assume you agree with it." Why, when you find out that it was Mitch McConnell that said it, that you only say, well that just shows he's sleazy? Why can't you just come out and say what it really is? McConnell and the Republicans cannot be trusted on their own words.

Edited by ncbirdfan

When you originally replied to my post, you said,  "Because you choose to use this quote, I assume you agree with it." Why, when you find out that it was Mitch McConnell that said it, that you only say, well that just shows he's sleazy? Why can't you just come out and say what it really is? McConnell and the Republicans cannot be trusted on their own words.

Why repeat the obvious? My issue isn't that you think McConnell is dishonest; my issue is that you never call out a democrat for the same fault.

Let me make this as clear as I possibly can; there is no politician serving in an elected office in the US government that I would trust further than I could throw him or her up a flight of stairs. Democrat, Republican, Independent; they are all the same. I accept that premise. You should consider doing so as well.

Let me make this as clear as I possibly can; there is no politician serving in an elected office in the US government that I would trust further than I could throw him or her up a flight of stairs. Democrat, Republican, Independent; they are all the same. I accept that premise. You should consider doing so as well.

Yeah yeah yeah, but 2 to 1 you voted straight repubs and put your life / livelihood in the hands of Trump et. al. and further in here defending to near death the repubs doctrine you distrust.....  Am I off base or does the OJ glove fit?

The sour grapes from the leftists is hilarious.  "Naming the next 2 or 3 SCOTUS justices is a bad thing for the GOP." lol!!!

Anything to deflect their anger over Hillary (lol) Clinton losing to President Donald Trump.

TDS continues, every day it gets funnier.

Posted (edited)

You got it.

There are are drugs to cure "it" !

Edited by workerbee

And McConnell did so for the exact same reasons. Schumer was not going to let Gorsuch come to a vote.

It wasn't for the exact same reason... the GOP was blocking EVERYONE

Posted (edited)

The sour grapes from the leftists is hilarious.  "Naming the next 2 or 3 SCOTUS justices is a bad thing for the GOP." lol!!!

Anything to deflect their anger over Hillary (lol) Clinton losing to President Donald Trump.

TDS continues, every day it gets funnier.

Have you noticed that the ONLY folks still mentioning Hillary are like you?

Edited by Baltimatt
Personal attack

Why repeat the obvious? My issue isn't that you think McConnell is dishonest; my issue is that you never call out a democrat for the same fault.

That's not true. For example, no one is as untrustworthy as Trump. He tweets and says lies over and over and he keeps on repeating them even when everyone else says they are lies. Then there are people like John McCain. Even though I disagree with him often, he is generally honest. I would consider Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren to be generally honest as well. I say "generally honest" because we voters have made it that if anyone is completely honest that person is not electable.

So let me be perfectly clear. When you thought a Democrat said it, you assumed that I agreed with the quote without realizing that I put the quote up there to show the hypocrisy of Republicans - in this case - Mitch McConnell. When you found out who actually said it you just dismissed it saying it just shows that McConnell is sleazy. Am I to understand that you are OK with politicians being sleazy? Or is that only for Republicans?

I would trust Pelosi if I could throw her down the stairs.  ;)

I would trust Pelosi if I could throw her down the stairs.   ;)

Or she kick your wimp rump in the attempt....

That's not true. For example, no one is as untrustworthy as Trump. He tweets and says lies over and over and he keeps on repeating them even when everyone else says they are lies. Then there are people like John McCain. Even though I disagree with him often, he is generally honest. I would consider Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren to be generally honest as well. I say "generally honest" because we voters have made it that if anyone is completely honest that person is not electable.

So let me be perfectly clear. When you thought a Democrat said it, you assumed that I agreed with the quote without realizing that I put the quote up there to show the hypocrisy of Republicans - in this case - Mitch McConnell. When you found out who actually said it you just dismissed it saying it just shows that McConnell is sleazy. Am I to understand that you are OK with politicians being sleazy? Or is that only for Republicans?

Of course you consider Senators Warren and Sanders to be honest; you agree with their political "philosophy". Senator McCain is long past the time that he should have retired from the Senate - and this from a fellow Naval Officer retiree.

Your post makes no sense. What could possibly lead you to believe I think it "OK" that politicians are sleazy? You voted for one of the several buffoons running for the Presidency this time; I didn't because I recognized that none of them were worth using a vote on.

With what part of "there is no politician serving in an elected office in the US government that I would trust..." are you having comprehension issues?

Posted (edited)

Of course you consider Senators Warren and Sanders to be honest; you agree with their political "philosophy". Senator McCain is long past the time that he should have retired from the Senate - and this from a fellow Naval Officer retiree.

Your post makes no sense. What could possibly lead you to believe I think it "OK" that politicians are sleazy? You voted for one of the several buffoons running for the Presidency this time; I didn't because I recognized that none of them were worth using a vote on.

With what part of "there is no politician serving in an elected office in the US government that I would trust..." are you having comprehension issues?I

My post makes perfect sense; you just don't agree with it. You made a great point about McConnell's quote when you thought it was a Democrat that said it; but when you finally found out it was McConnell who actually said it, you just shrugged your shoulders and dismissed it.

And when you trust no one, why would any politician even try to be honest? They already have your vote. Trump can tell you that 3-5 million people voted illegally - and all of them voted for Clinton - and you are OK with that. After all, there is no politician serving in an elected office in the US government that you would trust, so he has free reign to do or say anything he wants because everybody's trustworthiness is equal to you.

Edited by ncbirdfan

Posted (edited)

My post makes perfect sense; you just don't agree with it. You made a great point about McConnell's quote when you thought it was a Democrat that said it; but when you finally found out it was McConnell who actually said it, you just shrugged your shoulders and dismissed it.

And when you trust no one, why would any politician even try to be honest? They already have your vote. Trump can tell you that 3-5 million people voted illegally - and all of them voted for Clinton - and you are OK with that. After all, there is no politician serving in an elected office in the US government that you would trust, so he has free reign to do or say anything he wants because everybody's trustworthiness is equal to you.

Who has my vote? What part of " I did not vote for President." is a challenge for you?

Why would you possibly think what Trump said about illegal votes for Clinton is OK with me? Let us assume your apparent sense that Trump lies every time he opens his mouth is correct. Let us further assume that my assumption that Clinton lies every time she opens her mouth is incorrect and that in reality, it's only 1 in 3 times that she lies. How do you know which of the three is the truth? If you cant trust that a person with his or her hand on so much power is telling the truth in all cases, why would you trust any of the cases? Help me with your logic here.

Edited by MiddleOfTheRoad

Posted (edited)

Justice Gorsuch sworn in today by Justice Kennedy on the Rose Garden lawn of the White House, with President Donald Trump presiding.

“It’s a privilege to have you here to join in this historic moment on this very beautiful spring day,” Trump said, introducing his pick to the high court. “Spring is really the perfect backdrop for this joyful gathering of friends because together we are in a process of reviewing and renewing and also rebuilding our country.”

“I’ve always heard that the most important thing that a president of the United States does is appoint people, hopefully great people like this appointment, to the United States Supreme Court, and I can say this is a great honor,” the president said, before straying from his teleprompter remarks and ad-libbing a bit of praise for himself.

Gorsuch will be put to work immediately. The court meets privately Thursday to consider cases for next term. On the list is a plea that the court decide whether the Second Amendment grants a right to carry firearms outside the home. Another asks whether businesses may refuse to provide wedding services to same-sex couples.

What a great day, and another step in Making America Great Again.

Notorious RBG - how ya feelin'?

Edited by Twister

Or she kick your wimp rump in the attempt....

LOL.  

And McConnell did so for the exact same reasons. Schumer was not going to let Gorsuch come to a vote.

The sad thing was I think given some time and work Gorsich could have earned the votes.

You realize Scalia's dead, right?

Yes but did she feel the same about him?  Does she feel the same about Clarence Thomas? Or Alito?

Harry Reid proved that.  Invented the nuclear option, but Dems did not endear themselves and are now up a creek.  

This was bound to happen when Dems politicized the courts by using the filibuster.  Before that the Senate accepted who was president, and as long as he or she was qualified, voted in favor.  Scalia of all people got 90+ votes IIRC.  

McConell thought of the Nuclear Option, Ried just actually did it! Fillibustering Nominees actually started with the Whigs!

Kagan must be glad to no longer be the johnny on the court.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/what-does-the-junior-supreme-court-justice-do-kagan-tells-gorsuch-it-starts-in-the-kitchen/2017/04/09/9297ef4c-1bbd-11e7-9887-1a5314b56a08_story.html?utm_term=.1ea74f31cd55

“You think you’re kind of hot stuff. You’re an important person. You’ve just been confirmed to the United States Supreme Court. And now you are going to monthly cafeteria committee meetings where literally the agenda is what happened to the good recipe for the chocolate chip cookies.”

The justices eat lunch together on the days when they hear oral arguments, Kagan explained.

“Somebody will say, ‘Who’s our representative to the cafeteria committee again?’ Like they don’t know, right? And then they’ll say, ‘This soup is very salty.’ And I’m supposed to go fix it myself.”

“This is the most important junior justice responsibility--I open the door. The conference room is a real inner sanctum. We have two doors."

Kagan said there are no exceptions to the rule of who answers the door.

“Literally, if I’m in the middle of a sentence--let’s say it’s my turn to speak or something--and there’s a knock on the door, everybody will just stare at me, waiting for me to open the door. It’s like a form of hazing. So, that’s what I do, I open the door. Pronto.”

Oh dear Elena, don't call it hazing!