Twister

Trump, Pence moving quickly on Supreme Court pick

420 posts in this topic

I leave my bedroom every morning and walk across the hall to my office.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444437/neil-gorsuch-antonin-scalia-supreme-court-textualist-originalist-heir

President Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court will be Neil Gorsuch, a well-respected conservative whose legal philosophy is remarkably similar to that of Antonin Scalia, the justice he will replace if the Senate confirms him. He is, like Scalia, a textualist and an originalist: someone who interprets legal provisions as their words were originally understood.

Gorsuch is a Colorado native and the son of a Republican politician, the late Anne Gorsuch Burford, who was a state legislator and then director of the Environmental Protection Agency for President Reagan. He attended Columbia University and Harvard Law School, after which he clerked for D.C. Circuit Court judge David Sentelle. He then clerked for Supreme Court justices Byron White and Anthony Kennedy in 1993–94. The next year he studied for a doctorate of philosophy at Oxford University under the legal philosopher John Finnis.

What's his position on deference to executive authority?

Edited by Jimmy Jazz

I'm hearing a rumor it might be Don Jr.

You heard wrong.

So unless there is something that was missed in the vetting process, Neil Gorsuch will be the next Supreme Court Justice to be seated. It will be either with bipartisan support reaching 60 Senate votes or via "the nuclear option" which requires only a majority vote but a long-lasting change in philibuster rules.

Did I get that right?

So unless there is something that was missed in the vetting process, Neil Gorsuch will be the next Supreme Court Justice to be seated. It will be either with bipartisan support reaching 60 Senate votes or via "the nuclear option" which requires only a majority vote but a long-lasting change in philibuster rules.

Did I get that right?

You got it right. Gorshuch was as terrible pick as it could have been, but neither was Garland. It depends whether the Constitution is followed this time as opposed to what the GOP did last year.

Gorsuch is a great selection.  A true Constitutional conservative.  Previously confirmed by the Senate to the Court of Appeals by a 95-0 vote.  Given the highest possible rating by the  American Bar Association (a liberal group to be sure) and the NRA.  Defender of religious liberty and human life.  A BA from Columbia, a JD from Harvard Law, and a PhD from Oxford.

I hope the Dems try to filibuster this pick and the Senate goes nuclear, it will make President Trump's next SCOTUS picks (replacing Kennedy and/or Ginsburg) that much easier to get through.  

Whoever it is should be Borked.

Funny thing is you people can only postpone the inevitable.

Neil Gorsuch, Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, is a brilliant, witty, handsome, eloquent, perfectly pedigreed judge. He is, to put it another way, an extraordinarily difficult jurist for Democrats to oppose.

Gorsuch, who currently serves on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, is difficult to object to on personal or jurisprudential grounds. Although he is a rock-ribbed conservative, he conveys his ideas fluently and courteously and is well-liked by his colleagues on the left and right. And though his rulings can be reactionary, he has never directly stated his opposition to hot-button legal issues like abortion and same-sex marriage. Democrats may argue that Gorsuch is an illegitimate justice in a stolen seat, but the judge himself will not fit easily into the role of a villain. Whatever extreme positions he may hold will be concealed by his humble, articulate demeanor. It seems overwhelmingly likely that Gorsuch will soon sit on the Supreme Court of the United States.

Yes, he is conservative, but he is not a rank partisan like Justice Samuel Alito, or a flame-throwing culture warrior like Scalia. He is a judge’s judge. And he is, in all likelihood, our next Supreme Court justice.

You know if the writer who covers LGBT issues and the law for leftist rag Slate Magazine is not opposed to him, he's a slam dunk confirmation.

A great selections like (soon to be) Justice Gorsch is just another example of President Trump Making America Great Again.

Neil Gorsuch Is Not a Villain by Mark David Stern, Slate Magazine

You know if the writer who covers LGBT issues and the law for leftist rag Slate Magazine is not opposed to him, he's a slam dunk confirmation.

A great selections like (soon to be) Justice Gorsch is just another example of President Trump Making America Great Again.

Even Mr. partisan himself Chuck Todd of NBC believes Gorsch should be an easy pick and that his opposition will have a tough time painting him the way they will try.

I say he is confirmed one way or another by St Pats day.

As long as the guy has no skeletons in the closet and is professionally competent, just put him on the bench without all the fuss.

The only Check on Trump and Republicans is the Courts

Any Dems who don't Block this pick should be primaried

From what little I've read about Judge Gorsuch so far, I think he'll be ok. I'm not crazy about him, but it could have been worse. 

I just hope the Democrats act with dignity regarding the conformation process. And not engage in a tit for tat game the Republicans so shamefully started.

What do you find the most objectionable about him?

From what little I've read about Judge Gorsuch so far, I think he'll be ok. I'm not crazy about him, but it could have been worse. 

I just hope the Democrats act with dignity regarding the conformation process. And not engage in a tit for tat game the Republicans so shamefully started.

I agree.  I just hate that the Democrats are always the ones who have to be the adults in the room.

Act with dignity?  They are a freak show, they don't know what dignity is.

Why exactly should they block this pick?

What do you find the most objectionable about him?

Nothing. This is about Checks and Balances

Congress as currently made up, is not going to be a Check on Trump's overreach. The Courts are the last line of defense

I agree.  I just hate that the Democrats are always the ones who have to be the adults in the room.

Obviously you're not paying attention to the Cabinet confirmation hearings.

The 2018 Senate elections are already not looking too favorable for Democrats (they need to defend 25 seats!) and you want to make it even worse for them

I fully endorse your strategy, it will ensure a filibuster-proof 60+ majority.

Act with dignity?  They are a freak show, they don't know what dignity is.

I'm shocked you would talk about the Trumpinator and his merry band of Trumpanzees like that.

But I must say, I agree, they are indeed a freak show.