372 replies to this topic

#361 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:56 AM

It is still an argument based on emotion rather than anything that can be backed up factually. 

And that was the whole point. Look at the post she was replying.

#362 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,937 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:33 PM

Apparently you don't.  Pick any two points on a square, draw a line between them and find a point on the line not included in the square.  

are you talking a polygon? Convex is curved if not?

In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#363 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,937 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:36 PM

You actually have several points here.

Am I "OK" with Maryland being represented solely by liberals?  I would prefer a more balanced representation, but this is where gerrymandering got us.  Reducing the options for gerrymandering can't unbalance the representation any more than it is.

I would rather the lines be drawn around equal numbers of citizens rather than contorted to surround an equal number of like voters

If the districts were drawn in Maryland with the shortest district lines, there would likely be a conservative vote in the western district.

The Western District would likely be what it currently is. That is only if they go North South

Edited by jtowne-swim, Yesterday, 01:36 PM.

In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

-Master Yoda

#364 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,758 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted Yesterday, 01:50 PM

are you talking a polygon? Convex is curved if not?

Polygons can be convex.  All the ones with names are convex.  Triangles, squares, rectangles, pentagons,  etc.  Draw a line between any two points within the area and every point on that line lies within that area.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#365 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,937 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Polygons can be convex. All the ones with names are convex. Triangles, squares, rectangles, pentagons, etc. Draw a line between any two points within the area and every point on that line lies within that area.

That makes sense I thought you meant curved. That made no sense.

-Master Yoda

#366 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,758 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted Yesterday, 02:23 PM

That makes sense I thought you meant curved. That made no sense.

True.  Draw a curve and one side is always concave.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#367 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,143 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:21 PM

My goodness, you're upset. You started this line child, if you're not willing to have it tossed back at you, perhaps you should try another approach.

The ability to control one's body is certainly a most basic right, but any right that basic extends to all - including the human fetus. Unless of course, it's only an arbitrary right, extended at political whim.

You keep trying and trying to paint with the Trump brush and it's just not working. I trust Trump's position on abortion to about the same degree I trust Clinton in internet security. Trump would bring back Warren Burger if he thought it would get him a vote.

And I agree with you, at least to the degree that there are other ways to reduce abortion and have advocated for them here; better birth control availability and education, to include abstinence, better coverage for health care for pregnant women, more help to parents looking to adopt and after adoption, education support for adopted children. The best way of course is to take the pressure off our kids to have sex at 13 years old, but that's a cultural change that would require bringing God back into society, so that won't happen soon.

Good to see you brought the second class woman meme again. Haven't seen it in a while and you need to use a tool to keep it effective.

Teen birth rates are higher in highly religious states. Best explanation is the tendency of many religions to discourage contraception.

God is no match for teenage hormones I'm afraid.

https://www.google.c...ous-states.html

#368 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,143 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 PM

I agree it would require a constitutional amendment.

I am not sold on it. Imagine if you would this existed in MD and I was wrong and we had North South lines.
Would you be OK with 7 PG and Montgomery county residents and Steny Hoyer being our house delegation?

I'm not sure it would require an amendment. Various groups within states have successfully challenged the (gerrymandered) re-drawn districts in their states. Think Texas was one?

If the notion is that gerrymandering results in unequal voting representation at the Congressional level, arguably a federal matter?

This is above my pay grade but have read some arguments from qualified people that support it.

As to the "how", hard to believe there couldn't be an algorithm based on common sense, maybe like some of the ideas presented here. On some lesser level stuff like this is analyzed all the time--hell fast food companies have to do this one way or another I assume?

Good article re recent Wisconsin case.

http://www.salon.com...-redistricting/

Edited by ms maggie, Yesterday, 05:54 PM.

#369 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,937 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:39 PM

Teen birth rates are higher in highly religious states. Best explanation is the tendency of many religions to discourage contraception.

God is no match for teenage hormones I'm afraid.

https://www.google.c...ous-states.html

Abstenince plus is the best sex ed to teach but highly religious areas tend to teach abstinence only.

-Master Yoda

#370 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,143 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 PM

Abstenince plus is the best sex ed to teach but highly religious areas tend to teach abstinence only.

Both need to be discussed.

We would all prefer our kids abstain from sex. But putting all our eggs in that basket is dumb.

I'm so glad my kids are grown!!!

#371 MiddleOfTheRoad

MiddleOfTheRoad

Among the thinking people

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,351 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 PM

I'm not sure it would require an amendment. Various groups within states have successfully challenged the (gerrymandered) re-drawn districts in their states. Think Texas was one?

If the notion is that gerrymandering results in unequal voting representation at the Congressional level, arguably a federal matter?

This is above my pay grade but have read some arguments from qualified people that support it.

As to the "how", hard to believe there couldn't be an algorithm based on common sense, maybe like some of the ideas presented here. On some lesser level stuff like this is analyzed all the time--hell fast food companies have to do this one way or another I assume?

Good article re recent Wisconsin case.

http://www.salon.com...-redistricting/

Actually, UPS was my model. They measured 85 million possible routes from their main hubs and distribution centers and reduced 300M miles from their annual costs, specifically by organizing shortest routes over shaped areas.

#372 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,937 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Both need to be discussed.

We would all prefer our kids abstain from sex. But putting all our eggs in that basket is dumb.

I'm so glad my kids are grown!!!

Abstinence plus discusses both.

-Master Yoda

#373 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,937 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Actually, UPS was my model. They measured 85 million possible routes from their main hubs and distribution centers and reduced 300M miles from their annual costs, specifically by organizing shortest routes over shaped areas.

And using the IS postal service

-Master Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users