• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#141 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

I think there should be more than minimal hoopla. The Democrats still have not forgotten what the GOP did with Obama's nominee.

It was a bold move from the GOP and it worked in their favor.  Surely the day will come when the Democrats can play the same or a similar game.

Meanwhile, in the here and now, what Mitch McConnell and company did is nothing to do with Trump, Gorsuch, and/or the Supreme Court and I don't see why they should be punished for it.

#142 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:35 PM

Someone tell me what makes this guy any better than Scalia... because I'm not seeing it.

#143 michiganjoe

michiganjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Scalia isn't dead?

Merrick Garland makes the vacancy illegitimate. Make the GOP blow up the rules and confirm him with a simple majority rather than rewarding corrupt behavior.. 

#144 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,865 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Merrick Garland makes the vacancy illegitimate. Make the GOP blow up the rules and confirm him with a simple majority rather than rewarding corrupt behavior.. 

I suppose people would also try to make a case that it should be put on hold until they finish the investigation on the Russians and the election...

#145 michiganjoe

michiganjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

Another thing to consider- many Republicans were talking about holding the vacancy open indefinitely had Clinton won the election.

#146 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Multi - Lettered Brit.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,919 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

Despite my misgivings about Trump, Gorsuch is a solid candidate. Anyone who disagrees is simply too partisan to participate effectively in any meaningful discourse.

Now, if anyone needs an example of 'bigotry', here it is.
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#147 com6063

com6063

Working out my salvation in fear and trembling.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,919 posts
  • LocationDark side of a bog

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

Now, if anyone needs an example of 'bigotry', here it is.

How so?

"Pray, hope, and don't worry." — St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina

#148 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Multi - Lettered Brit.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,919 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

How so?

"Anyone who disagrees [with you] is simply too partisan to participate effectively in any meaningful discourse."

If that isn't classic bigotry, I don't know what is.

Bigotry: https://en.oxforddic...inition/bigotry

#149 com6063

com6063

Working out my salvation in fear and trembling.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,919 posts
  • LocationDark side of a bog

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

"Anyone who disagrees [with you] is simply too partisan to participate effectively in any meaningful discourse."

If that isn't classic bigotry, I don't know what is.

Bigotry: https://en.oxforddic...inition/bigotry

People are free to disagree with me; no skin off my teeth. In this country we are all free to disagree and carry on.

"Pray, hope, and don't worry." — St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina

#150 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,143 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

This nonsense has to end.

What the GOP did to Garland was despicable. No other way to describe it.

That doesn't mean the Dems have to go tit for tat. Enough. The man deserves a fair hearing. He isn't of my bent but since when doesn't the President get to nominate someone who shares his view? As long as the guy is above reproach ethically and a superior legal mind, he should be approved.

Edited by ms maggie, 21 March 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#151 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Multi - Lettered Brit.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,919 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

This nonsense has to end.What the GOP did to Garland was despicable. No other way to describe it.That doesn't mean the Dems have to go tit for tat. Enough. The man deserves a fair hearing. He isn't of my bent but since when doesn't the President get to nominate someone who shares his view? As long as the guy is above reproach ethically and a superior legal mind, he should be approved.

I guess it's just me being silly but I reckon that anyone that has a political 'bent' shouldn't be able to qualify as a judge at any level. The overriding quality that any judge should have, is that of being impartial and unbiased.

#152 Smokey 1

Smokey 1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,775 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

I guess it's just me being silly but I reckon that anyone that has a political 'bent' shouldn't be able to qualify as a judge at any level. The overriding quality that any judge should have, is that of being impartial and unbiased.

Gorsuch addressed that and stated that judges should rule in regard to the law without regard to partisan opinions.

Edited by Smokey 1, 21 March 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#153 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Gorsuch addressed that and stated that judges should rule in regard to the law without regard to partisan opinions.

In light of how he has arrived at this vacancy, that should have brought forth gales of laughter.

Edited by hst2, 21 March 2017 - 09:53 AM.

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#154 Smokey 1

Smokey 1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,775 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

That should have brought forth gales of laughter.

Do you think he is incapable of rendering unbiased opinions?

#155 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,143 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Ideally but in the real world, judges have philosophies that tend to align with the political spectrum.

History shows there is a reasonable likelihood that he would drift left, that's not an unusual tendency on the SC.

#156 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

Despite my misgivings about Trump, Gorsuch is a solid candidate. Anyone who disagrees is simply too partisan to participate effectively in any meaningful discourse.

So if I disagree with you it's because I'm too partisan.  So, if you disagree with me doesn't that make you too partisan to participate effectively in any meaningful discourse.

#157 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Do you think he is incapable of rendering unbiased opinions?

Why do you think the GOP stole the seat from Obama? 

Get out of your fantasy world.

Edited by hst2, 21 March 2017 - 10:03 AM.

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#158 Smokey 1

Smokey 1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,775 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

Why do you think the GOP stole the seat from Obama? 

Get out of your fantasy world.

The SC seat belonged to Obama?  :confused:

#159 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

It was a bold move from the GOP and it worked in their favor.  Surely the day will come when the Democrats can play the same or a similar game.

Meanwhile, in the here and now, what Mitch McConnell and company did is nothing to do with Trump, Gorsuch, and/or the Supreme Court and I don't see why they should be punished for it.

They have not only degraded the court by denying a sitting president the opportunity to fill the vacancy, but they marketed the vacancy to the public as though it is an elected position.

It doesn't take any real boldness, just a lack of character and a lack of respect for our democratic institutions.

#160 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

The SC seat belonged to Obama?  :confused:

Do your remember Garland?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users