Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saticon3

PC not seeing DVD Drive

16 posts in this topic

Hey if anybody has any advice for the novice tinkerer----

I was fixing up a Dell sff for one of the kids and all went well except the existing optical drive didn't work- no problem, I have several so I took a spare, hooked it up externally   to another PC just to test it before bothering to install it, and it was recognized, windows did the "installing drivers for your new hardware" thing, and it worked fine I even watched a bit of a dvd on it, then installed it and, same as the original one, it's as if it doesn't exist as far as the PC is concerned, the found hardware thing didn't come on and it doesn't even show in device manager.

any ideas?

Just so to not overlook any factors, try using a different USB port.

SFF? What do you mean by that?

Internal or External drive? I'm guessing Internal.

In a Desktop I'd try swapping out the drive cable. For a Laptop the connections inside may be bad and I think you may be stuck..

Thanks, I solved it, well that part anyway-- SFF is short for Small Form Factor--- its a desktop that can sit horizontally or vertically, if horizontal, you can set a reasonably heavy monitor right on top of it,  most often they are found in business environments where space may be tight, the SFF can pack a lot of computer in a smaller, office- friendly case, and is tough-- I acquired a few of them, some cheap, some free, and since I have a lot of them kind of "specialize' in them and try to mostly get them, since now I have a ton of spare parts-- one downside is, lots of standard things like expansion cards don't fit so you have to get ones specially made to fit the smaller case. An upside is they are so common in business, the secondary market is very buyer friendly, as I said, I get some free even. 

Anyway, it was simple, it just wasn't enabled in the BIOS-- but apparently the drive is just no good, it will read data disks but not dvd's

Edited by Saticon3

Oh, OK! Must be Old IDE cables, Sounds like the old W95 days maybe up to XP. Most PCs have been SATA for a while now. Didn't think they made any "Desktops" much anymore, I've always had Towers.

Edited by Bartman

no, they've kept up, I seem to see one in just about every doctor's office, all mine run 7,  64 bit, I trashed the 10 conversion, hated it, caused me problems, mine have core 2Duo 3.67 ghz and can take up to 16 gb of ram although I don't need near that much - there are older ones but I only will use the ones with at least the 2 core intel

'nother one solved in the simplest of ways, I bought a known good DVD drive from a tinkerer buddy for $5.00 ( a much more advanced tinkerer than me) and it works fine -- can't believe I had 3 bad dvd drives, maybe for some reason they have not much "shelf-life"?  I had pulled them from old discarded machines but I had thought they were working at the time they were pulled. Or maybe they're just so old the drivers are no longer recognized and updated drivers not available?

Edited by Saticon3

Pretty sure Windows has a Generic Driver for DVD drives. Had one die in my last PC after abt 5yrs prob. 'cause I was burning so many DVDs then. I just went and got another one I can't remember, either from a store or online and pulled the old one out and put the same cables in the New one and everything worked as normal. I just burn DVDs for a few friends now since I put all my own movies & shows I want to keep on Ext HDs and play everything thru the little Micca Speck box I have plugged into the TV. With my New PC (now abt 1yr old) I can burn Blu Ray too with Nero but haven't done any yet. Heck my friends are satisfied enough with DVDs, and I don't burn anything for myself anymore so why bother?

Look at the Micca Speck, this thing's so Good my buddy John bought 2 and I think BmoreKen bought a couple after I recommended it to him. You plug a 1TB Ext HD full of movies & shows on it and you don't need anything else! I have 2 drives tho, 1 for Movies & 1 for TV shows. You can use smaller Thumbs if you want and don't want to Library everything. You plug a Thumb or Drive into your PC and make Folders for everything just the same as on a PC. Then you plug your drive or thumb into the Micca and just scroll through them all on the TV the same way and watch what you want. Plays pretty much Every format I've thrown at it.

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-Portable-Digital-Player/dp/B008NO9RRM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1485740997&sr=1-1&keywords=micca+speck+g2

Edited by Bartman

That sounds good I might do that for all of us, but I like having working dvd drives as right now I have never so far successfully booted or done a fresh install from a usb, now i haven't tried all that hard, but with the ease of the dvd and already having the install disc, its easier plus a couple of the kids still have and like to watch dvd's

Yeah for Kids I guess DVDs are still the way to go. Since I've been Downloading all my stuff from a Usenet site the last I guess 20yrs or so where I search for movies and shows and everything is in mp4 or mkv and DivX avis I've pretty much quit burning them for myself. It's pretty staggering the amt of movies you get on a 1Tb drive especially when a lot run in the 700Mb-1.3Gb range. SD and just 720p is good enough for my old eyes on the big TV across the living room. Full HD takes up a Lot of Gigs! I have folders like War divided into Land, Sea and Air and SF into Space and Not Space and folders for Action, Adventure and Comedy. I even have Folders that just say Clint and Arnold! When I tossed all my DVDs I counted over 200 and I know I have even more Movies now. All on these little Ext HDs!

sounds like a cool set up, beats the days of bookshelves lined with VHS tapes, doesn't it?

Starting a new project today, got a motherboard to put in the PC that had a MB burn out 

Still have my 10-11yr old Cyberpower rig sitting in the other room doing nothing since I got this New CP rig last Feb. Still runs but I don't have it hooked up to anything. Honestly I never had a problem with Vista and don't know what everyone was complaining about. Nothing wrong with it but I did put W7Home on it a few yrs back. Don't remember all the specs but the MB box says it's a Asus P5N-E SLI and the HD is 500Gb. Beautiful Cooler Master bare aluminum Full Tower case, looks like it belongs in a Spaceship or something. Bunch of Loud Fans in it though. That rig ran me some $1500 way back when. I have one Dead Dell laptop in a carrying case here that's like 6-7yrs old. Took it to Micro Center and they just said it was Finished and not worth fixing. BUT would you believe I have an old Gateway Celeron laptop with XP that Still works! It's gotta be 20yrs old if it's a day. The HD is a Whopping 20Gb! I don't do anything with it anymore since I got a Newer Dell refurb unit after the other one quit. I do have a bit of old Junk lying around I just oughta take to the dumpster at work one day.

Edited by Bartman

Posted (edited)

You know why the DVD drive disappeared? Windows Update did it. Windows 10 did an update one night and that's what happened to me. DVD drive was gone.

I restored my computer back to windows 7 and the dvd drive was back with no issues.

Edited by Rob

Posted (edited)

Another reason W10 stinks. We got a W10 box at work, they said "You'll get used to it!" and now 6mos later it's still a Pain doing everything I've done with the older versions for the last 20 some years. I asked the IT guy if I could put "Classic Shell" on it and he said No. Thanks for making my job Tougher! Glad I bought a Retail W7Pro OS in the box a while back. I'll use that down the road on the next PC I have built for myself with just a formatted drive.

Edited by Bartman

I hear ya' Bart, I got a pile of old stuff too- most of them I can make run or at least cannibalize some of them, but, they're so old, there doesn't seem to be a point, with the small hard drives, limited RAM and single core processors, if I get them running, they won't be able to do much.  For most of them I think I'll save some stuff like the cases and screws and stuff and trash the rest. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, Rob, I agree win 10 stinks, and that may have caused my problem - I trashed it on every thing I have that had it, even the upgrade assistant and all that.  

Edited by Saticon3