Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spreadball85

Curley Football Position???

71 posts in this topic

I am not in agreement with the hiring of Sandora by Curley. I believe the position should have gone to one of Coach Murphy's assistants, many of whom worked with Murph for years and are very familiar with the school and the players. Curley also passed up an opportunity to hire a young, successful public school head coach who is another former assistant of Murphy's and who has done an outstanding rebuilding job at his current school.

I think Curley may end up regretting this hire.

I think that the Dundalk coach is good and will do well at curly. I do agree that it is odd, with so many qualified assistants and former assistants from a very successful era, that curly chose to go outside of the program to fill the vacancy.

Who on the staff do you all think should have been promoted?

Should have worded that differently. I don't have intimate knowledge of the assistants, was just going off of Operations information. If they do in fact have qualified assistants from the Murphy that wanted to take over, I just find it weird that they wouldn't just continue on with the guys that have been in place.

Kind of ballsy to bring in a total outsider, but kudos to them, I think they brought in a good coach

Just because someone is a good assistant doesn't mean that they would make a good head coach.

OK, my bad SB, I thought you meant the Curley parents. As far as I know Dundalk has some assistants there as well. Now the question is how many leave with him and who stays. Nature of the beast I guess, kids change schools regularly and you can never fault a coach for looking for a better opportunity as well.

Word is most of the staff is going with him.  It will be interesting to see who gets the Dundalk job.  That will make 6 new HC's in the county next season.  

Who on the staff do you all think should have been promoted?

For starters, there was Rich Stichel, who was a winning head coach at both New Town and John Carroll before joining Murphy at Curley. Then, there's rock-solid D Coordinator Frank Embardino, who was passed over as well. Jeff Farace was another very capable assistant, but who did not actively pursue or apply for the job. Next, there is the young, successful public school head coach who was an assistant at Curley before taking his current position. I mentioned him earlier.

So there was no shortage of quality coaches inside the Curley family who could have taken over for Murphy and maintained consistency and continuity in the program. There was no need to go outside the program for a replacement. I still believe Curley may end up regretting this hire.

For starters, there was Rich Stichel, who was a winning head coach at both New Town and John Carroll before joining Murphy at Curley. Then, there's rock-solid D Coordinator Frank Embardino, who was passed over as well. Jeff Farace was another very capable assistant, but who did not actively pursue or apply for the job. Next, there is the young, successful public school head coach who was an assistant at Curley before taking his current position. I mentioned him earlier.

So there was no shortage of quality coaches inside the Curley family who could have taken over for Murphy and maintained consistency and continuity in the program. There was no need to go outside the program for a replacement. I still believe Curley may end up regretting this hire.

Op

No dog in the fight just curious

Administration mustve had a reason to go away from the current staff

Did any apply?

Posted (edited)

i have a friend on the staff. He said the administration did not care for Murphy especially the principal and others that included the soccer coach. When he didn't get the AD job it was for that reason. Murphy told his guys he thought they may be a long shot to get the job for that reason. He also told me 3 or 4 of the assistants got interviews but he thought that was all smoke. He also told me on Murphy's last day nobody from the administration came down to say goodbye or wish him well. Nice way to treat a guy that turned around a bad program and gave you I think 15 or 20 years. The admin must be real class acts, my friend made the joke about their slogan about "brotherhood" must not have included Murphy nice way for a catholic institution to act

Edited by cfoty

Murphy was a class act, good staff also

The Administration at Curly some shat they treated my friend Murphy wrong so them not hiring any of his assistants don't surprise me

Unbelievable...Curley was arguably the most consistent team in the b conf the past 20 years bc of murphey.  5 conference championships, tons of kids going to play college ball from that program, there wasn't curley football before him and to be treated like that?!  I would think the admin would want to keep some familiarity with the success...shame

I wouldn't say there wasn't any football at Curley before Murphy. They had a pretty good program back in the mid 80s. But yes Murphy deserves way more respect than he received from the school administration for sure

The mid 80's isn't 20 years of a consistent contender...not many coaches have been able to put together that success.  Many B conference teams are up and down...Curley and BL have been the two consistent programs over the years.  Two programs that build from the bottom up, maybe gets the occasional transfer, but really rely on bringing in kids as freshmen and developing them into good football players.  I am just saying that with the success they have had, why would you not want to try and at least continue that, rather than clean slate and start over fresh?  Gotta be tough on the kids and alumni there.  Not taking anything away from Sandora, he has been successful as well, but I am sure there will be some challenges.

I agree with you totally about Murphy and his success, just stating that they had a good program before. I think it was quite obvious when the administration screwed Murphy on the AD job that his days were numbered.

Yeah hopefully Sandora doesn't pi$$ them off he may be looking for a job sooner than he thinks

My bad. Not trying to discredit Murphy in any way. I always liked what Murphy brought to the table

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't say there wasn't any football at Curley before Murphy. They had a pretty good program back in the mid 80s. But yes Murphy deserves way more respect than he received from the school administration for sure

Curley sucked in the A conference in the early tomid 80s They were the doormat of the private schools in the MSA. Don't think they were any better from '85-'89.

DIDNT SEE THE EARLIER POST. Sorry for the redundancy.

Edited by TheGuru

The new hire at Curly might fair well if he brings in some of his assistants that helped him turn around Dundalk those guys can recruit around town and might land some good talent for the Curly

Word is most of the staff is going with him.  It will be interesting to see who gets the Dundalk job.  That will make 6 new HC's in the county next season.  

Make that 7 new HC's in BaltCo

Who is #7? Did someone else just leave their ship?

1. Sparrows Point I Think

2. Woodlawn

3. Towson

4. Loch Raven

5. Eastern Tech

6. Dundalk

7. ?????

1. Sparrows Point I Think

2. Woodlawn

3. Towson

4. Loch Raven

5. Eastern Tech