70 replies to this topic

#41 spreadball85

spreadball85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

http://www.mdprepfootball.com/?p=2912

according to mdpreps site...they were terrible in the 80's...occasional winning season here and there throughout their history, but nothing close to what was created by murphy...

#42 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

My bad. Not trying to discredit Murphy in any way. I always liked what Murphy brought to the table

#43 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

I wouldn't say there wasn't any football at Curley before Murphy. They had a pretty good program back in the mid 80s. But yes Murphy deserves way more respect than he received from the school administration for sure

Curley sucked in the A conference in the early tomid 80s They were the doormat of the private schools in the MSA. Don't think they were any better from '85-'89.

DIDNT SEE THE EARLIER POST. Sorry for the redundancy.

Edited by TheGuru, 05 March 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#44 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Yeah I messed up for sure

#45 GOOCH

GOOCH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:48 AM

The new hire at Curly might fair well if he brings in some of his assistants that helped him turn around Dundalk those guys can recruit around town and might land some good talent for the Curly

#46 SaintBull

SaintBull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Word is most of the staff is going with him.  It will be interesting to see who gets the Dundalk job.  That will make 6 new HC's in the county next season.  

Make that 7 new HC's in BaltCo

#47 HY3:13

HY3:13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Who is #7? Did someone else just leave their ship?

#48 Cosgrove

Cosgrove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

1. Sparrows Point I Think

2. Woodlawn

3. Towson

4. Loch Raven

5. Eastern Tech

6. Dundalk

7. ?????

#49 DJGreg1200

DJGreg1200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,605 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

1. Sparrows Point I Think
2. Woodlawn
3. Towson
4. Loch Raven
5. Eastern Tech
6. Dundalk
7. ?????

I believe Randallstown would be #7

#50 SaintBull

SaintBull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

I believe Randallstown would be #7

Correct.  

#51 HY3:13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

That's nearly 1/3 of the County with new coaches this year.

#52 FBCoach

FBCoach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

I read this article and posted it on another thread.  I think it is appropriate on this thread.  One third of the county is turning over, that is a lot of turnover.  It used to be that high school coaches lasted for years at the school.  I thought this had some interesting comments.

http://www.highschoo...aches/16550420/

#53 Tiger1012

Tiger1012

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

Rock Solid LOL Embardino...come on next thing you will tell me is Phil D'Adamo should have gotten the team....Last time i checked all those guys rolled out with Murph the first time he quit.  Now he's quit a second time.  Do i agree with him not getting the AD job...No. 

Sounds like jealousy...Heard Sandora is already building a nice staff.  He will fair well at Curley...He's a great coach and im my opinion the best young coach in the area.

For starters, there was Rich Stichel, who was a winning head coach at both New Town and John Carroll before joining Murphy at Curley. Then, there's rock-solid D Coordinator Frank Embardino, who was passed over as well. Jeff Farace was another very capable assistant, but who did not actively pursue or apply for the job. Next, there is the young, successful public school head coach who was an assistant at Curley before taking his current position. I mentioned him earlier.

So there was no shortage of quality coaches inside the Curley family who could have taken over for Murphy and maintained consistency and continuity in the program. There was no need to go outside the program for a replacement. I still believe Curley may end up regretting this hire.

#54 HY3:13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

I think Sandora will bring several of his current staff from Dundalk. As for the former Curley assistants who were willing to step down when Murphy resigned a couple of years ago (which only lasted a couple of days), I dont think you can blame them for that. That's just loyalty to the coach that gave you a shot. No problem with that. I dont know the coaches mentioned above but it sounds like they all need a fresh start somewhere else. Are any of them teachers at Curley? 

#55 Tiger1012

Tiger1012

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

I think Sandora will bring several of his current staff from Dundalk. As for the former Curley assistants who were willing to step down when Murphy resigned a couple of years ago (which only lasted a couple of days), I dont think you can blame them for that. That's just loyalty to the coach that gave you a shot. No problem with that. I dont know the coaches mentioned above but it sounds like they all need a fresh start somewhere else. Are any of them teachers at Curley? 

Nope they are not.  Also, Murphy quit a little over a  year ago.  It certainly was not a couple of years ago and I'm sure this came into play with his decision to go. 

#56 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,950 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Nope they are not. Also, Murphy quit a little over a year ago. It certainly was not a couple of years ago and I'm sure this came into play with his decision to go.

He left due to family not feelings
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#57 Operations

Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Rock Solid LOL Embardino...come on next thing you will tell me is Phil D'Adamo should have gotten the team....Last time i checked all those guys rolled out with Murph the first time he quit.  Now he's quit a second time.  Do i agree with him not getting the AD job...No. 

Sounds like jealousy...Heard Sandora is already building a nice staff.  He will fair well at Curley...He's a great coach and im my opinion the best young coach in the area.

Jealousy, my axx. I'm not a member of the coaching staff, so this doesn't affect me personally. Disappointed is the word...for a group of outstanding coaches and guys. I stand by what I said about Embardino and the other coaches as well. Any one of them would have been a better choice than Sandora. I was especially disappointed that Stichel, a winning head coach at two different schools, was passed over. But the powers-to-be will do what they want to do, logic and common sense be damned. I believe Sandora may be out of his element at Curley, and probably won't fare very well there. And there is no way I would classify a guy with his limited head coaching experience as a great coach...LOL. Great coaches stand the test of time. This guy is barely getting started.

Edited by Operations, 07 March 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#58 Tiger1012

Tiger1012

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

He left due to family not feelings

You may want to read the baltimore sun article again.  He insinuated being passed over for the AD job made it easier for him to join his wife.  I'll post it for you since it seems reading and doing your homework is an issue for you.

"In 2015, Murphy resigned when he was not offered the athletic director job when it came open. But he changed his mind and resumed his duties a few days later after an outpouring of support from alumni and after being offered additional responsibilities, including the college athletics advisor position.

He said that conflict played a small part in his departure."

Edited by Tiger1012, 08 March 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#59 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,950 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

You may want to read the baltimore sun article again. He insinuated being passed over for the AD job made it easier for him to join his wife.

small role
You may want to read further or talk to him personally as some have
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#60 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Maybe it was just time to go and seek new opportunities. His wife's new career just made it easier to make a decision

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users