• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 BigDrop

BigDrop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

Confirmed by MaxPreps @6:00PM.  The game will be in Las Vegas.  Gorman also plays De La Salle and Mater Dei, carrying a 54 game winning streak into next season when they expect, again, to be preseason U. S. #1.  

Simply, the most important high school football game that any mid Atlantic school has ever had. http://www.maxpreps....and-dematha.htm

Bravo, DeMatha!

#2 BigDrop

BigDrop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

http://usatodayhss.c...ootball/2016/20 are USA Today's final season rankings for the 2016 season.

#3 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts
  • LocationIn Your Worst Nightmares

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

Simply, the most important high school football game that any mid Atlantic school has ever had.

Bravo, DeMatha!

Really!!!!...Bigger than the last game DeMatha won for yet another league title?  Tell me, what adverse impact will this game have on DeMatha's 2017 league posture should they lose?  All public games wins/losses matter toward their ultimate goal.  Your lot essentially have up to 4 throw away games beyond your privates "rankings race."  But bigdroop, yet I do believe Good Counsel had already "been there and done that" most important high school game that any mid-Atlantic school has ever ever had thing before when they went to Vegas, specifically Gorman, and were beaten.  That was one case of what happened in Vegas didn't stay there.  This 2017 game will be another....

Edited by DayWalker, 18 January 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#4 BigDrop

BigDrop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

Really!!!!...Bigger than the last game DeMatha won for yet another league title?  Tell me, what adverse impact will this game have on DeMatha's 2017 league posture should they lose?  All public games wins/losses matter toward their ultimate goal.  Your lot essentially have up to 4 throw away games beyond your privates "rankings race."  But bigdroop, yet I do believe Good Counsel had already "been there and done that" most important high school game that any mid-Atlantic school has ever ever had thing before when they went to Vegas, specifically Gorman, and were beaten.  That was one case of what happened in Vegas didn't stay there.  This 2017 game will be another....

When Good Counsel played Gorman they were just starting their national dynasty.  Today, Gorman has three national championships in a row qand a 54 game winning streak.  However, there was a similar game in 1980 which I saw:  Gerry Faust's Cincinnati Moeller hosted DeMatha at the University of Cincinnati.  The next year Faust went to Notre Dame where he took over as their head coach.  Moeller had been national champs in three of the four preceeding years when they played DM.  

DeMatha only lost one game that year.  Unfortunately, it was the Moeller game, 34-0.

I stand by my comment:  when DeMatha plays Gorman it will be the most important game that any mid Atlantic school will have ever played.  In the area DM also plays Franklin and McDonogh.

Edited by BigDrop, 18 January 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#5 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:15 PM

When Good Counsel played Gorman they were just starting their national dynasty.  Today, Gorman has three national championships in a row qand a 54 game winning streak.  However, there was a similar game in 1980 which I saw:  Gerry Faust's Cincinnati Moeller hosted DeMatha at the University of Cincinnati.  The next year Faust went to Notre Dame where he took over as their head coach.  Moeller had been national champs in three of the four preceeding years when they played DM.  

DeMatha only lost one game that year.  Unfortunately, it was the Moeller game, 34-0.

I stand by my comment:  when DeMatha plays Gorman it will be the most important game that any mid Atlantic school will have ever played.  In the area DM also plays Franklin and McDonogh.

Great homer history lesson and name drop bigdroop BUT what does this all have to do with the price of tea in China in the fall of 2017....  But this one game of DeMatha vs Gorman simply pales in the face of Gorman vs DeMatha - Gorman vs De La Salle - Gorman vs Mater Dei if throw away games toward the state championship, or league title in DeMatha's case, is considered.  This DeMatha vs Gorman game is merely one mercenary versus another mercenary, a level playing field of sorts I guess, for some bragging / "rankings" rights; what your ilk get off on.

So do you bigDroop, then just do you...   :P    Who else is on your plate....

#6 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

BigDrop DM could be playing the Super Bowl Champs and DW would say it doesn't matter. Nothing matters except Publics, the reason he doesn't want the big Publics to show up against the big Privates is he can't take disappointment. Like they say to be the best you gotta beat the best. You can't be the best if you won't even play the best

#7 aacountyfootball

aacountyfootball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

It would be a huge win for Dematha and Maryland HS football. Miami Central, American Heritage, etc. were big games too, but this one would be bigger. This will be a very good Dematha team and Gorman will miss Martell whether they realize it or not. I wouldnt bet against Dematha.

Edited by aacountyfootball, 18 January 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#8 Rob A.

Rob A.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

BigDrop DM could be playing the Super Bowl Champs and DW would say it doesn't matter. Nothing matters except Publics, the reason he doesn't want the big Publics to show up against the big Privates is he can't take disappointment. Like they say to be the best you gotta beat the best. You can't be the best if you won't even play the best

have to agree with DW it means nothing but one Win or loss , when is this High School National Championship game played ?

#9 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

have to agree with DW it means nothing but one Win or loss , when is this High School National Championship game played ?

What or how important would a DeMatha win against Gorman be if DeMatha loses to Franklin?  Would that Gorman game then be " ...the most important high school football game that any mid Atlantic school has ever had....  If DeMatha lost both games, what adverse impact would it have on DeMatha for its league title?  What would then be DeMatha most important game(s)?

The DayWalker says keep things in perspective.  The most important game is the next one.  And then the next one.  And the next and so on until 14 games winning that last one happens...  Opppss, MD privates don't do that.  You all are done after week 11 or 12 or so to watch...

#10 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:21 AM

It would be a huge win for Dematha and Maryland HS football. Miami Central, American Heritage, etc. were big games too, but this one would be bigger. This will be a very good Dematha team and Gorman will miss Martell whether they realize it or not. I wouldnt bet against Dematha.

Oh come off it aa....  A DeMatha win over Gorman would be good for DeMatha and DeMatha alone and not for so-called Maryland HS football much like Gorman being the so-called #1 team and "national champion" says so much about Nevada High School football.  I expect so much more thoughtfulness out of you counselor.  :rolleyes:

#11 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

With DeM's recruited players and some say the most players in the NFL, maybe DeMatha should be playing for the Super Bowl jbdoormat...  But I am NOT saying the DeMatha vs Gorman game doesn't matter, all games should matter.  But the way you privates have things setup, your 3 or 4 exhibition non-conference games effectively don't matter outside of "rankings" you all hold near and dear.

BigDroop talked about a great 1980 DeMatha team, although all DeMatha teams seem to be great, only lost one game to so-called "national champions" Moeller.  That 1980 year DeMatha lost that one non-conference game, was DeMatha it's league champion?  If not, who and that's what I mean about all games should matter.  It did then, but not so much nowadays --- My Pet Peeve With You Privates.

jbdoormat, you should craft a bumper sticker that says, "To Be The Best You Should Play and Beat the Best."  And for your MIAA I would turn to SFA and ask would that include Paramus and IMG.  And for the WHACK WCAC DeMatha, it was the best in 2016, the #1 MD team in beating the best of Avalon, SM Ryken, B McNamara, Arch Carroll, and two games each against Good Counsel and St John's; 8 of their 12 games.  If only Loyola were on DeMatha's schedule last season, speaking of the best!!!!!

Edited by DayWalker, 19 January 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#12 BigDrop

BigDrop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:58 AM

Yes, DeMatha won the WMAC that year but Bill McGregor was not yet DeMatha's head coach.  Several players on that DM team told me that they had never seen a hs team like that then.  Today, yes, but not in 1980.  That Moeller team actually won 105 out of 107 games including five national championships (1982 in USA Today's first year).  Hampton Bethel went out and played them in '81 and lost 17-0.  That was Bethel's only loss that year.  The next year one of the best teams ever from Southern CA went to Kings Island and played Moeller, Servite with Steve Beurlein at qb.  Mo won that game too but it was fairly close.  Back then Moeller played one or two OOS games a year (they were the first) including Miami Christopher Columbus, a Dallas team, Brother Rice, J. O. Johnson from Huntsville and others.

#13 BigDrop

BigDrop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:06 AM

DTR. Retweeted Mitch Stephen

A tweet from the above Bishop Gorman qb  for next year shows Gorman playing DeMatha in week 1.  Apparently, week 1 is Labor Day Weekend.  I wonder if this will be an ESPN game?  Assuming this is true DeMatha would have the first shot at ending their 54 game winning streak.

•  

#14 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:15 AM

Yes, DeMatha won the WMAC that year (1980) but Bill McGregor was not yet DeMatha's head coach.  Several players on that DM team told me that they had never seen a hs team like that then.  Today, yes, but not in 1980.  That Moeller team actually won 105 out of 107 games including five national championships (1982 in USA Today's first year).  Hampton Bethel went out and played them in '81 and lost 17-0.  That was Bethel's only loss that year.  The next year one of the best teams ever from Southern CA went to Kings Island and played Moeller, Servite with Steve Beurlein at qb.  Mo won that game too but it was fairly close.  Back then Moeller played one or two OOS games a year (they were the first) including Miami Christopher Columbus, a Dallas team, Brother Rice, J. O. Johnson from Huntsville and others.

Then your homie would be mistaken about 1980????

http://www.thesports...ball-champions/

#15 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:23 AM

DTR. Retweeted Mitch Stephen

A tweet from the above Bishop Gorman qb  for next year shows Gorman playing DeMatha in week 1.  Apparently, week 1 is Labor Day Weekend.  I wonder if this will be an ESPN game?  Assuming this is true DeMatha would have the first shot at ending their 54 game winning streak.

Ending Gorman's 54 game....  You have some odd lofty goals but I said " Do You "!!

Gorman's streak will eventually come to end like all streaks.  Who / when do you think DMs WHACK WCAC title steak will end....  That should be of more importance to DeMatha than Gorman's streak.  Just sayin'....

#16 Rob A.

Rob A.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:30 AM

Yes, DeMatha won the WMAC that year but Bill McGregor was not yet DeMatha's head coach. Several players on that DM team told me that they had never seen a hs team like that then. Today, yes, but not in 1980. That Moeller team actually won 105 out of 107 games including five national championships (1982 in USA Today's first year). Hampton Bethel went out and played them in '81 and lost 17-0. That was Bethel's only loss that year. The next year one of the best teams ever from Southern CA went to Kings Island and played Moeller, Servite with Steve Beurlein at qb. Mo won that game too but it was fairly close. Back then Moeller played one or two OOS games a year (they were the first) including Miami Christopher Columbus, a Dallas team, Brother Rice, J. O. Johnson from Huntsville and others.

five National Championships ? When and where were they played?

#17 BigDrop

BigDrop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:34 AM

Then your homie would be mistaken about 1980????

http://www.thesports...ball-champions/

I could be wrong.  DeMatha's magazine only goes back to '82 which is the first year that Bill McGregor started.  But I really thought that DM was undefeated after returning from Cincinnati for the rest of the year.  

#18 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

I could be wrong.  DeMatha's magazine only goes back to '82 which is the first year that Bill McGregor started.  But I really thought that DM was undefeated after returning from Cincinnati for the rest of the year.  

Yeah droop, the DeMatha magazine may only go back to '82 but your memory of so much detail to include what players told you and your opponent players and coaches and game score and etc etc etc is so vivid!!  Yet you don't now recall whether or not DeMatha were its league champion after The DayWalker challenge.  Okay....  :P

Looks like Carroll were some bad@zzes back then....not DeMatha.

#19 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:46 AM

#20 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:49 AM

Rob I agree with you in those terms, yes no game played. But will it matter if there is a private school championship game played. We will still be having this stupid conversation because you will still have more than one champion in the state. So it really doesn't matter because DW 's pompous *** will still be claiming that it doesn't matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users