• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

I am not all that aware of the recent history of the Winter sports but I am surprised to see two MIAA teams in the top of the polls in both Wrestling and Basketball. MSJ is #1 in both, pretty cool, and McD is #3 and #5. I am sure there were other times when two local schools were so dominant in the main winter sports, but I can't remember it. 

#2 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

I am not all that aware of the recent history of the Winter sports but I am surprised to see two MIAA teams in the top of the polls in both Wrestling and Basketball. MSJ is #1 in both, pretty cool, and McD is #3 and #5. I am sure there were other times when two local schools were so dominant in the main winter sports, but I can't remember it. 

Also #1 in indoor track

#3 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Even more remarkable. Didn't even look at the "third tier" sports. No offense meant to their fans.

#4 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

Even more remarkable. Didn't even look at the "third tier" sports. No offense meant to their fans.

Track is third tier? Track is just as big as wrestling, bigger actually if we are talking outdoor track. If you're talking indoor track, you could have an argument. In Maryland, its basketball, lacrosse and then football. I would put track as the next biggest thing in the area, then baseball and then wrestling.

#5 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

Also #1 in indoor track

The MIAA Championships should be interesting. Gilman had a bunch of kids injured that are just now getting healthy, including probably the second best MIAA performer(to the Dalton kid at McD) Tory Young. Young is an automatic 40 points for them. Believe in the last meet, MSJ won by half a point.

#6 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts
  • LocationIn Your Worst Nightmares

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

Track is third tier? Track is just as big as wrestling, bigger actually if we are talking outdoor track. If you're talking indoor track, you could have an argument. In Maryland, its basketball, lacrosse and then football. I would put track as the next biggest thing in the area, then baseball and then wrestling.

In Baltimore it may be basketball, lax, and then football but not across MD and in large school districts around the state.  Just look at this board regarding dialog about basketball, football, lax, and any other of high school sports.

#7 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

The MIAA Championships should be interesting. Gilman had a bunch of kids injured that are just now getting healthy, including probably the second best MIAA performer(to the Dalton kid at McD) Tory Young. Young is an automatic 40 points for them. Believe in the last meet, MSJ won by half a point.

The Gilman best seem to be always recovering from some injuries that precluded anyone else from witnessing their greatness but we are to stay tuned for the GreyHound exhibition.  Maybe it's just me, The DayWalker....

Edited by DayWalker, 19 January 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#8 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

just grouping them in tiers based on a subjective measurement of publicity, participation, pre high school particapation, and butts in the seats watching.  Wish participation was higher with the athletes and fans across the board for high school sports.

#9 Downlow

Downlow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

MIAA A Wrestling is top notch. Many kids going D1. Had 2 division 1 national champions last year out of 10 weight classes. McDonogh Miles Martin and GC Kyle Snyder who was also a world champ and Olympic champ. Not sure what track is producing out of Maryland but that's hard to top. MSJ is bar far most dominant wrestling program in Maryland history. McDonogh has had recent success but MSJ is putting resources back in to program and expect them to return to national prowess they had in 70s and 80s.

#10 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

MIAA A Wrestling is top notch. Many kids going D1. Had 2 division 1 national champions last year out of 10 weight classes. McDonogh Miles Martin and GC Kyle Snyder who was also a world champ and Olympic champ. Not sure what track is producing out of Maryland but that's hard to top. MSJ is bar far most dominant wrestling program in Maryland history. McDonogh has had recent success but MSJ is putting resources back in to program and expect them to return to national prowess they had in 70s and 80s.

Track has had many Olympic medalists! Out of Baltimore alone you have Bernard Williams and James Carter. Howard County has Matt Centrowitz. Wrestling can't even come close in Maryland when you go toe to toe with track.

#11 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Track has had many Olympic medalists! Out of Baltimore alone you have Bernard Williams and James Carter. Howard County has Matt Centrowitz. Wrestling can't even come close in Maryland when you go toe to toe with track.

Track could be considered big in limited select areas but not completely across Maryland as you seem to be indicating.  There are region/classification champs in certain area who can't post qualifying times or standards in other areas or meets.  Some champs or better performance in some areas get lapped at larger state events...  Track is not all that big across the board in MD in my opinion.

#12 Downlow

Downlow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

GA- I stand corrected. Sounds like track puts fair share of kids to next level as well. All those sports are great. IMO hand to hand combat sports like football and wrestling, boxing are where men are made. I know high school wrestlers that would beat Lebron James to a pulp. No disrespect to Bball and track but it just lacks the physical toughness.

#13 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

I know high school wrestlers that would beat Lebron James to a pulp. No disrespect to Bball and track but it just lacks the physical toughness.

HUH!!!!!  High school wrestlers you know who would beat Lebron James to a pulp!!!  My man, Lebron James is a professional basketball player, a highly paid one.  High school wrestlers are likely still being fed by their mothers.  I understand the point you are trying to make but darn do it in perspective like contrasting a kick@zz high school wrestler you know against a WWF steriod bloated fellow you slaps another bleached blond masked wrestler across the head with a folded chair....  Just sayin'

#14 Downlow

Downlow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Ha. I hear u. Watch UFC. Best fighters and toughest guys on the planet. Look at their backgrounds and none of them played basketball or ran track. My old man use to say.." some men were born to run, others to stand and fight". I seen many a fights in college and watched wrestlers dismantle guys twice their size. They are a crazy tough bunch.

#15 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

I saw wrestlers fighti in college. All they did was put their opponents in a hold and the fight was over. When they went up against someone who was a boxer they usually got their asses whipped, especially by football players.

#16 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Ha. I hear u. Watch UFC. Best fighters and toughest guys on the planet. Look at their backgrounds and none of them played basketball or ran track. My old man use to say.." some men were born to run, others to stand and fight". I seen many a fights in college and watched wrestlers dismantle guys twice their size. They are a crazy tough bunch.

Come on dude, LeBron James makes over $30-million a year salary to put a ball through a hoop and limit others in doing so.  The best UCF fighter, not a wrestler, may make $5 to $8-million to kick someones balls and try to stop others from kicking his @zz and balls out of a cage.  So, UFC fighters don't play professional basketball or run track because they can't or not good at it rather than just choices.  That's a paraphrase of what your daddy told you.  Among your best paid fighters of guys who could dismantle others WAS a female named Rhonda Rousey.  I hear SHE was the best paid UCF FIGHTER, not wrestler, last year speaking of a crazy tough bunch.

#17 Tomslick

Tomslick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Track could be considered big in limited select areas but not completely across Maryland as you seem to be indicating.  There are region/classification champs in certain area who can't post qualifying times or standards in other areas or meets.  Some champs or better performance in some areas get lapped at larger state events...  Track is not all that big across the board in MD in my opinion.

10 years plus as a track dad, its huge in MD. And those weekend are long and hot! :( But you are right about the local/state level champions etc. Many cant compete nationally but thats the benefit of track & field vs what these idiots talk about with national HS football rankings BS. In track & field you have to beat the best to be the best. And more often than not you will actually run against the top kids nationally at select events, unlike HS football and even basketball for the most part. There is no ducking in track because the numbers dont lie. Just watched the Melrose games this weekend with several local teams competing nationally and a couple of meet record were broken along with moving into the top spots nationally.

Edited by Tomslick, 13 February 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#18 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Indoor track, Wrestling, and Ice Hockey MIAA champs.  Basketball will be a tough road a lot of good teams in the MIAA an anyone can win it in my eyes.

#19 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

You are right, MSJ is on a good run now with the MIAA win last weekend. I think they are they are favorites to win wrestling states this weekend as well, though McDonogh could give them a run for the title. Don't think St. Paul's or Good Counsel have the horses this year. 

If MSJ can do something in baseball or lacrosse this season they could have a very nice year. 

#20 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

You are right, MSJ is on a good run now with the MIAA win last weekend. I think they are they are favorites to win wrestling states this weekend as well, though McDonogh could give them a run for the title. Don't think St. Paul's or Good Counsel have the horses this year.

If MSJ can do something in baseball or lacrosse this season they could have a very nice year.

No hoops? Yeah, basketball isn't a given in both the MIAA & the BCL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users