10 replies to this topic

#1 GOOCH

GOOCH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

I know a lot of y'all good coaches on this board need some help so let me be the first to tell y'all start invading your lacrosse teams cause y'all football teams could use a little help CHC should start their invasion ASAP 😂😂😂

#2 spreadball85

spreadball85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

a lot of these teams already do this...look at Boy's Latin's football team, ton of kids on their team that are D1 athletes just choose to play lacrosse in college...Bobby Benson was a qb at MCD and was all state football but choose to play lax at Hopkins...depends on what the athletes prefer

#3 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

The problem is not the players it is the parents. It used to be the case that most of the top notch athletes in a school played multiple sports. I have seen lacrosse in particular turn into a year round sport that has caused kids to drop football, soccer, basketball and wrestling, in order to compete year round. 

The best high school athletes are the multisport athletes. Lacrosse in many schools has cannabalized the other sports. 

#4 FBCoach

FBCoach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

With all of the specialization going on right now, we have very few 2 or 3 sport athletes at the high school level.  I coach at a public school, and most of the 2 sport athletes are kids that are not planning on playing at the next level.  They are good athletes that just want to play the game.  The "elite" athletes have been told by people around them, "You need to focus on one sport to play in college." It is because club coaches, private trainers, and private coaches are all making money off having kids specialize in one sport.  You have fall/summer baseball, indoor lacrosse, AAU basketball, 7-7 football,combines, club lacrosse, individual showcase tournaments for all sports; the list goes on.  Parents have been brainwashed that if there kid does all of the activities for their chosen sport, that is the only way they can play in college.  As a football coach, I liked the fact the my QB had a private QB coach, and my linemen are all lifting and not wrestling or playing basketball.  As a dad, I am glad my one son is playing 3 sports, and my other son is playing 2.  It is good for them, and good for the school.

#5 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,107 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

The problem is not the players it is the parents. It used to be the case that most of the top notch athletes in a school played multiple sports. I have seen lacrosse in particular turn into a year round sport that has caused kids to drop football, soccer, basketball and wrestling, in order to compete year round.

The best high school athletes are the multisport athletes. Lacrosse in many schools has cannabalized the other sports.

Bingo
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#6 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

It also hurts that colleges are giving these kids offers in the 9th grade, a lot of Lacrosse players stop playing football and other sports in fear of losing the offer

#7 spreadball85

spreadball85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

I believe that playing multiple sports can only make one a more rounded athlete, wrestling made me a better athlete and helped with my play in other sports, I wasn't going to wrestle at the next level but I wanted to compete...it is a shame that more kids don't play multiple sports, but i think it is more common in publics and in the B conference 

#8 Maroontiger419

Maroontiger419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

I believe that playing multiple sports can only make one a more rounded athlete, wrestling made me a better athlete and helped with my play in other sports, I wasn't going to wrestle at the next level but I wanted to compete...it is a shame that more kids don't play multiple sports, but i think it is more common in publics and in the B conference

A high majority of kids who will play scholarship football at CHC are multi-sport athletes. Every all-league football player was a multi sports athlete. When I was at St. marys, their MIAA champ team consisted of multi sport kids and the best kids played football.

#9 miaasportsfan

miaasportsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

There is no doubt that multi-sport athletes are more well rounded, which helps them immensely when they focus on one sport in college.  It drives me crazy that parents and coaches push high schoolers to focus on one sport all year long.  

#10 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,107 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

A high majority of kids who will play scholarship football at CHC are multi-sport athletes. Every all-league football player was a multi sports athlete. When I was at St. marys, their MIAA champ team consisted of multi sport kids and the best kids played football.

St.Marys
Kids like Dontra Peters, Marcus Snipes, and Marlon Johnson come to mind as those types of athletes
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#11 Maroontiger419

Maroontiger419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

St.Marys
Kids like Dontra Peters, Marcus Snipes, and Marlon Johnson come to mind as those types of athletes

Alex Woodall, Liam Kelly, Tim Troutner as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users