3 replies to this topic

#1 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,776 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

Scientists said Thursday they had produced pig embryos that carry human cells in a new step toward making animals whose organs could be transplanted into people.

The embryos did not grow into part-human piglets and the technique was far from perfect, the researchers reported in the journal Cell. And these are not the first animals that are part human, part-animal.

http://www.nbcnews.c...embryos-n712761

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#2 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

While I'm not a Luddite these kinds of experiments make me uneasy.

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#3 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,776 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

While I'm not a Luddite these kinds of experiments make me uneasy.

Yes. A Frankenpig. While I don't have a problem growing this stuff in tubes it's another matter to involve an animal which is already pretty smart to begin with then meddle with its genetic makeup with human dna. Seems a little fast and loose.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#4 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

Just a first step. In some SF worlds sometime in the future there would be genetically manufactured organs for people suffering from various maladies. Imagine if they could Grow a Kidney and those that needed one wouldn't have to wait for a transplant. I could guess in maybe another century or so there could be any number of substitutes for those with certain ailments. Growing the materials for various organ transplants. Won't see it in my time but that could be really something.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users