Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EL-FLIPPO

Beware New "Can You Hear Me" Scam

6 posts in this topic

The “can you hear me” con is actually a variation on earlier scams aimed at getting the victim to say the word “yes” in a phone conversation. That affirmative response is recorded by the fraudster and used to authorize unwanted charges on a phone or utility bill or on a purloined credit card. In addition, the criminal may have already collected some of your personal information -- a credit card number or cable bill, perhaps -- as the result of a data breach. When the victim disputes the charge, the crook can then counter that he or she has your assent on a recorded line.  

If you have not yet been victimized, the best way to avoid telemarketing calls from con artists is to sign up for a free blocking service, such as Nomorobo, or simply let calls from unfamiliar numbers go to your answering machine. Scammers rarely leave a message.

If you do answer a call from an unfamiliar number, be skeptical of strangers asking questions that would normally elicit a “yes” response. The question doesn’t have to be “can you hear me?” It could be “are you the lady of the house?”; “do you pay the household telephone bills?”; “are you the homeowner?”; or any number of similar yes/no questions. A reasonable response to any of these questions is: “Who are you, and why do you want to know?”

If the caller maintains they are with a government agency -- Social Security, the IRS, the Department of Motor Vehicles or the court system -- hang up immediately. Government officials communicate by mail, not phone (unless you initiate the call).

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/beware-new-can-you-hear-me-scam/

Easy, I answer the phone Hello and if it's someone looking for Donations or asking for anything else I say Bye and hang up.

PC user warning!!

I received a call from a stranger who told me that I had over paid for a service they were providing and the program I installed was corrupted and needed removing. I was told that they wanted to reimburse me $487 but they could not do so because they can only reimburse in amounts of $2,500 and nothing less. To do this they wanted to remove the bad program that was installed asking to take control of my mouse in order to remove the bad program. During our conversation, I gave them control of my mouse.

In the background using my mouse they accessed my bank account and withdrew $2,500.

Later I told my bank what had happened and they reimbursed the money, telling me that this scam is well known & not to be so gullible in the future.

There is a little more to this story but you get the idea. Don’t be a sucker like I was.

I tend not to answer calls from numbers I don't know or are unknown, particularly on the landline.

I once used a computer repair shop that installed a remote access program on my pc without telling me. When questioned about my discovery, he told me the installation was to facilitate any resolution of future issues.

I rysyrched the program. It was legit, and was not spyware but I promptly deleted it.

Homie don't play dat! B)

On 7/19/2017 at 11:34 AM, Baltimatt said:

I tend not to answer calls from numbers I don't know or are unknown, particularly on the landline.

Likewise matt. If I don't pick up and you don't leave me a voicemail, you're probably someone I don't want to talk to.