• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:02 AM

Saw a couple comments from AJ about the need for an upgrade on OF defense and that he would hit lead-off again if he had too.  There wasn't any sharp criticism here, but it does beg the question on why there were no real upgrades in theses areas.  I guess there are still some bent and denters out there that could still help.  Smith will be an upgrade in RF, but that bar was really low.

I think they already have a leadoff hitter on the team, with Kim. Guys with a .382 OBP are hard to come by.
Smith's horrible splits are a problem, but he definitely adds depth.
Imo, this is why they should bring in Pagan. He's old, but they only need him to perform for one season.
As far as the defense, he's right. However, some of the onus lies on him as well. He needs to adjust not only for himself, but for his teammates - which means playing back.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#22 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

I think they already have a leadoff hitter on the team, with Kim. Guys with a .382 OBP are hard to come by.
Smith's horrible splits are a problem, but he definitely adds depth.
Imo, this is why they should bring in Pagan. He's old, but they only need him to perform for one season.
As far as the defense, he's right. However, some of the onus lies on him as well. He needs to adjust not only for himself, but for his teammates - which means playing back.

It can't hurt to try Kim up there.  Him and Rickard may split the job as a left field platoon. 

#23 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

It can't hurt to try Kim up there.  Him and Rickard may split the job as a left field platoon. 

That seems to be the most logical platoon.

#24 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

It will be interesting to see what kind of platoon they will use in RF.  Rickard and Trumbo the only RH corner OFs that seem like locks.  If DD doesn't sign someone else, door open for Alvarez, Walker, Mancini, or a rule 5 guy.  Saw a quote where DD loves Santander rule 5 guy. 

#25 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

More like Smith/Trumbo in RF...with Trumbo DHing against RHP and Smith on bench vs LHP.

Just hope Trumbo can raise that .608 OPS vs LHP.  For his career, his OPS is higher vs LHP than it is vs RHP. Hope last year was a fluke but something tells me it isn't.

Still time to re-sign Bourn, too.

Edited by Pickle20, 14 February 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#26 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:11 PM

More like Smith/Trumbo in RF...with Trumbo DHing against RHP and Smith on bench vs LHP.

Just hope Trumbo can raise that .608 OPS vs LHP.  For his career, his OPS is higher vs LHP than it is vs RHP. Hope last year was a fluke but something tells me it isn't.

Yeah I can see that for sure.  That opens door for Mancini as the DH against LH pitching.  And if you need to give Davis a day off he can play first if Trumbs is in RF. 

#27 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

Yeah it'll be interesting to see Mancini this year, and how he is used. I know they're high on him but I don't have big expectations despite his solid MiL numbers. If he has Chris Richard's career, that's a bonus.

Edited by Pickle20, 14 February 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#28 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

Yeah it'll be interesting to see Mancini this year, and how he is used. I know they're high on him but I don't have big expectations despite his solid MiL numbers. If he has Chris Richard's career, that's a bonus.

I'm not counting on any great production from him. He's going to have the usual growing pains. And if the team falls behind the division early, Buck isn't going to be able to weather that process. Boston certainly looks like the division leader, as of today. So it all depends on how hot of a start NY and Tor get off to. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#29 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

Rotation isn't garbage.

Hahahah. Ok.

You work for the Warehouse or Peter Angelos, I assume???

Two crap starters in a 5-man rotation in the American League is garbage.

#30 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

I guess I'm one of the few that expects Trumbo to maintain a very high level with the bat.  And I fully expect him to rake LH pitching at his career numbers.  This guy can flat out hit with power and being in Camden for 81 games is a huge difference maker.  I also like the fact he was pretty clutch driving in 108 runs.  In contract Davis drove in a paltry 83.

#31 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

I guess I'm one of the few that expects Trumbo to maintain a very high level with the bat.  And I fully expect him to rake LH pitching at his career numbers.  This guy can flat out hit with power and being in Camden for 81 games is a huge difference maker.  I also like the fact he was pretty clutch driving in 108 runs.  In contract Davis drove in a paltry 83.

If Trumbo can improve his numbers vs LHP and his career splits vs LHP suggests he could, he'll have an even better season than last year. He may not blast 40+ HR again, but he could improve his AVG and OBP which would make him even more dangerous.

#32 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

If Trumbo can improve his numbers vs LHP and his career splits vs LHP suggests he could, he'll have an even better season than last year. He may not blast 40+ HR again, but he could improve his AVG and OBP which would make him even more dangerous.

Agree.  I'm banking on this guy to be hitting his peak at 31.  That lousy second half last year is the one big wrench in the works that worries me.

#33 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

As a side note, I'm of the opinion Gentry is a good signing. He has had some injury problems recently, but there's no reason he can't get going for a season and try to approach his previous form, where he was a speed and OB guy with the ability to play multiple OF positions at a high level. I really like this signing and screams of the low risk/high reward variety.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#34 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:52 AM

As a side note, I'm of the opinion Gentry is a good signing. He has had some injury problems recently, but there's no reason he can't get going for a season and try to approach his previous form, where he was a speed and OB guy with the ability to play multiple OF positions at a high level. I really like this signing and screams of the low risk/high reward variety.

I'm thinking Gentry, if he can stay healthy and makes the team, could at least be valuable for late-inning defense. Rickard, Jones and Gentry is a better defensive outfield than any other combination the Orioles currently have.

If Gentry doesn't pan out, Michael Bourn is still an option. I think he's past the point where he can expect a major league deal.

#35 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'm thinking Gentry, if he can stay healthy and makes the team, could at least be valuable for late-inning defense. Rickard, Jones and Gentry is a better defensive outfield than any other combination the Orioles currently have.

If Gentry doesn't pan out, Michael Bourn is still an option. I think he's past the point where he can expect a major league deal.

This Gentry guy completely got past me. I had no idea who he was.  I was surprised to see this guy was actually pretty good until injuries derailed him 2 years ago.  But I agree I think if he shows any past form he makes the team.  He brings the defensive skill set the O's need in the corners to off set Kim and Smith.  I like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users