Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Struds

MLB Goes Off the Deep End

22 posts in this topic

What a dumb idea.  This is their solution to slow games?  How about limiting pitching changes or visits to the mound instead?  

MLB PLANS TO TEST NEW EXTRA-INNING RULES IN MINOR LEAGUES DURING 2017 SEASON

Baseball offenses in the low levels of the minor leagues will reportedly start extra innings with a runner in scoring position before anyone even steps in the batter's box. 

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reported Wednesday that Major League Baseball will test a rule change in the Gulf Coast League and Arizona League in 2017 that will place a runner on second base to start extra innings. Passan noted something akin to this rule has been a feature in international baseball and will be used in the 2017 World Baseball Classic.

Testing the rule in those leagues "is part of an effort to understand its wide in-game consequences—and whether its implementation at higher levels, and even the major leagues, may be warranted," Passan wrote.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2692063-mlb-plans-to-test-new-extra-inning-rules-in-minor-leagues-during-2017-season

Edited by Rob
removed vulgar language

Yeah, 'cause extra inning games is the problem.  :rolleyes:

The shear stupidity of it would make one think Bud Selig were still in charge.

What I find interesting, is that baseball is reportedly losing viewers, and failing to draw in young/new fans. Yet the sport is raking in significantly more money than it has ever seen before. 

I like the tradition of baseball. But if it really is a dying sport, then I suppose it's time to make sweeping changes. Since length of games is the issue that everyone points to, perhaps a better approach is to just shorten the game to 5 innings. If it's pace of game, then do what we do in our softball league. Everyone starts with a 1-1 count, so get to hackin'. Here's another suggestion, no mid-inning pitcher changes. If you start the inning, you finished the inning (exception for injuries).

I have no problem with the game, as is. You want a boring sport, watch a basketball game. Hours upon hours of watching 5-6 guys run up and down the court, practically scoring at will. IF you can score 100+ points in a game, it's too easy to score. That's a game than needs to be shortened. Make games 2 minutes long, and I might watch. When I started dating my wife, she dragged me to a Bullets game. It was the only time I took a book to a sporting event. By the end of the night, I had so dismantled the game, and so convincingly pointed out it's flaws, she never watched another game again.

Take that NBA...I reduced your fan base without any effort at all. B)   

The changes to the NFL to increase scoring have been very successful.  Ratings are through the roof.  Who doesn't love penalties every 3 plays?

What I find interesting, is that baseball is reportedly losing viewers, and failing to draw in young/new fans. Yet the sport is raking in significantly more money than it has ever seen before. 

I like the tradition of baseball. But if it really is a dying sport, then I suppose it's time to make sweeping changes. Since length of games is the issue that everyone points to, perhaps a better approach is to just shorten the game to 5 innings. If it's pace of game, then do what we do in our softball league. Everyone starts with a 1-1 count, so get to hackin'. Here's another suggestion, no mid-inning pitcher changes. If you start the inning, you finished the inning (exception for injuries).

I have no problem with the game, as is. You want a boring sport, watch a basketball game. Hours upon hours of watching 5-6 guys run up and down the court, practically scoring at will. IF you can score 100+ points in a game, it's too easy to score. That's a game than needs to be shortened. Make games 2 minutes long, and I might watch. When I started dating my wife, she dragged me to a Bullets game. It was the only time I took a book to a sporting event. By the end of the night, I had so dismantled the game, and so convincingly pointed out it's flaws, she never watched another game again.

It feels like the last 2-3 minutes of a close college basketball game take as long as a 9-inning ball game.  :huh:

I have no problem with the length of MLB games, but I'm not the audience they are losing.  If some of the specialization is removed from the game, I think that alone speeds it up enough to keep folks watching.

It feels like the last 2-3 minutes of a close college basketball game take as long as a 9-inning ball game. :huh:

That's generally the best part of the game though :)

I think that this rule change is more about adding a "sudden death" element to the game rather than shortening it.

Further, while I think that this approach will play well in the lower level minors, ( teams have smaller rosters, brutal travel schedules, and young arms) I don't think that it would play as well in the majors. 

Also, I think the idea of limiting pitching changes would limit a manager's in game strategy and I don't like it as ameans of shortening a game.

I think a good place to start would be to put limits on replay. Each team should get two challenges per game. Once they use these challenges, the only umpires challenges would be on fan interference or home run calls. This wouyld put the onus on the managers as to when to use the replay system. ( Personally, I'd like to see the whole system done away with, but I know that is not happening.)

Also, A catcher's visit should last no longer than 45 seconds from the time He reaches the mound. If He is not heading back this position after 45 seconds a ball is called. Further, a maximum of one infielder can be involved in the conference. There should be only one multiple player conference ( i.e. the entire infield) allowed per game. I would allow 90 seconds after the coach or manager arrives at the mound to have the conference. Once again, if the conference is not broken up in time a ball is called. No warnings should be given and you could install a clock at field level.

Having the DH being used in both leagues is long overdue. I mean it's only been in the AL for over 40 years and is implemented in every league and level of play except the National League. One, having a DH in the NL would add to the offense, and two you would do away with double switches. Having teams play in the World Series under different rules and circumstances is a head scratcher to me.Baseball is always going to be a slow game because it is not managed by a clock. However, there are elements that can be managed by time and still allow for "traditions" like extra inning play.

Edited by russsnyder

I think that this rule change is more about adding a "sudden death" element to the game rather than shortening it.

Further, while I think that this approach will play well in the lower level minors, ( teams have smaller rosters, brutal travel schedules, and young arms) I don't think that it would play as well in the majors. 

Also, I think the idea of limiting pitching changes would limit a manager's in game strategy and I don't like it as ameans of shortening a game.

I think a good place to start would be to put limits on replay. Each team should get two challenges per game. Once they use these challenges, the only umpires challenges would be on fan interference or home run calls. This wouyld put the onus on the managers as to when to use the replay system. ( Personally, I'd like to see the whole system done away with, but I know that is not happening.)

Also, A catcher's visit should last no longer than 45 seconds from the time He reaches the mound. If He is not heading back this position after 45 seconds a ball is called. Further, a maximum of one infielder can be involved in the conference. There should be only one multiple player conference ( i.e. the entire infield) allowed per game. I would allow 90 seconds after the coach or manager arrives at the mound to have the conference. Once again, if the conference is not broken up in time a ball is called. No warnings should be given and you could install a clock at field level.

Having the DH being used in both leagues is long overdue. I mean it's only been in the AL for over 40 years and is implemented in every league and level of play except the National League. One, having a DH in the NL would add to the offense, and two you would do away with double switches. Having teams play in the World Series under different rules and circumstances is a head scratcher to me.Baseball is always going to be a slow game because it is not managed by a clock. However, there are elements that can be managed by time and still allow for "traditions" like extra inning play.

I've hear/read analysts who have tracked the length of games, and the various things (pitching changes, mound visits, etc). If you eliminated all of that, it shaves minutes off the total length of a game.

Everyone knows why games are so long, but no one is going to address it. It's commercials. Sitting in the ballpark really accentuates how much time is wasted for commercial breaks. And there's the problem. Cut commercials, and you cut revenue. This is why this issue is such a waste of time. The solution is easy. But no one wants to implement it. MLB needs to put this thing to bed. Make a decision. You either want the money, or you want to appeal to the increasingly short attention span of each successive generation.   

I've hear/read analysts who have tracked the length of games, and the various things (pitching changes, mound visits, etc). If you eliminated all of that, it shaves minutes off the total length of a game.

Everyone knows why games are so long, but no one is going to address it. It's commercials. Sitting in the ballpark really accentuates how much time is wasted for commercial breaks. And there's the problem. Cut commercials, and you cut revenue. This is why this issue is such a waste of time. The solution is easy. But no one wants to implement it. MLB needs to put this thing to bed. Make a decision. You either want the money, or you want to appeal to the increasingly short attention span of each successive generation.   

Great point about the commercials, and you are correct MLB is not going to give up that revenue.

I think shaving time off of the mound visits will do one thing, it will eliminate some dead time when the inning is being played.

Enforce the pitch clock, and instruct umpires to grant FAR fewer timeouts by batters.  Those two moves alone would make the game much more watchable.  All the stepping off the rubber, and stepping out of the box, between pitches can be infuriating to me at times...

With David Ortiz finally quitting, I wonder what that will do to the average length of a major league game?

And drop the cow manure "replays go to New York" practice.  You have a trained video official, with commanding knowledge of the rulebook, upstairs in the stadium to review all plays and make quick calls.  80% of the time, a replay review official will know the correct call before a manager has even asked for the review.  Like the NFL's goofy replay system, the PROCESS involved is outrageously and unnecessarily time consuming.

Edited by Ravens2006

Aren't they supposedly doing away with throwing pitches during an intentional walk too?

Done.

Major League Baseball and its players’ association officially killed the intentional walk as we know it on Wednesday.

The union agreed to MLB’s request to empower managers to order an intentional walk via a signal from the dugout, the least-intrusive of several initiatives to speed up the pace of play that Commissioner Rob Manfred seems intent on implementing.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/02/22/players-union-agrees-dugout-signal-intentional-walks/98246324/

The changes to the NFL to increase scoring have been very successful. Ratings are through the roof. Who doesn't love penalties every 3 plays?

Unless you're the New England Patriots, they don't get called for any penalties.

I know they were trying to improve on getting umpire calls correct with replay but the process is ridiculously slow.  If you're worried about the pace of the game, you do two things- you get these hitters to put their butts in the batter's box quicker and for pitchers to speed up the time between pitches.  To me, that's what causes most of the drag time and it's been an on going problem for years.  Watch a video on Youtube of a game from the 60's.  It's amazing how fast the next pitch comes.  Also, I wouldn't have any problem just eliminating the instant replay.  So the umpires get a few calls wrong during the course of a season.  So be it.  For the most part, I think they're exceptionally accurate.  Other than that, I'm not sure how much more you could do. They're obviously not going to shorten commercial breaks with the money that's involved.  

I watched a little of a "classic" game on MASN recently from the 1988 season I believe.  Talk about a slow moving game.  I don't know how the long the game took in total compared to this era of baseball, but the few at bats I watched took forever.

Baby Boomers and their parents still constitute a Large majority in terms of population demographics. That may explain why Baseball still is a huge money maker even though the fan base is Aging faster than other sports.

Younger generations are more interested in the NFL and NBA (and the NCAA versions of those sports). Speaking for myself, there's not as much interest in Pro-Baseball among my peers as Football and Basketball. My Facebook and Twitter newsfeeds are constantly dominated by chatter about Football and Basketball. Rarely does Baseball become a top trending topic.

And even though the NHL isn't as popular as the MLB, I see more chatter about Hockey than Baseball. Perhaps Hockey fans tend to be younger on average than Baseball fans? I haven't seen a comparison between those two sports.

I'm sure MLB does their own market research and sees similar trends with young Americans. They're understandably concerned about Baseball's future.

I think speeding up the pace of the game is a start. Even adding a Play Clock could make a big difference but I'm sure baseball purists will hate it.

I'm a big fan of Offense and I think Offense does help attract more casual fans of the sport. Maybe they could call a smaller strike zone in order to reduce Strikeouts.

Those are just a few ideas. Baseball is considering changes for the longterm survival of the sport and I'm okay with that

Edited by soulflower

Hey, speaking of the Orioles I was looking into catchers equipment for my son, anybody know if this is similar to the set Caleb Joseph uses https://www.baseballbargains.com/shop/under-armour-victory-junior-catchers-gear-kit-uack2-jrvs/

It looks pretty similar. ( Joseph is an Under armor guy.)

UA catcher's gear is pretty good. I bought my son gear two years ago and I had to get him new shin guards because He outgrew them.

Good luck.