Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Pill City

19 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-pill-city-book-20170210-story.html

A new book claims two honor roll teens from Freddie Gray's neighborhood masterminded the April 2015 looting of pharmacies across Baltimore, then created an "Uber-like" encrypted delivery app to spread the drugs throughout the country in partnership with the Black Guerrilla Family, the hacktivist collective Anonymous, and El Chapo's Sinaloa cartel.

The result, the book says, helped fuel the nationwide spike in urban violence and drug overdoses.

If you've never heard that story, Baltimore police say they haven't either. They say they investigated the pharmacy thefts and the drug sales and violence that followed and found no evidence of the operation described in the book.

The book is Pill City by Kevin Deutsch.  I haven't read the book but some of the claims seem hard to believe.  

I doubt it because the riots were not planed and to organize the looting of the RX's on very short notice seems impossible. 

Mr. Fenton is being careful and diplomatic. I'll be more blunt: After reading, I think this book is, by and large, a wholesale fabrication.

David Simon tweets.

I doubt it because the riots were not planed and to organize the looting of the RX's on very short notice seems impossible.

The riots weren't planned but some sort of brouhaha was. An email or posting on fb went out, people got word of it and started leaving work early because of it. I read it myself and hoped it was just bs. But obviously It wasn't. I gave my now deceased coworker a ride home that day because her husband would not have been able to make it downtown from his job. Edited by Marshan Man

Kevin Deutsch

Unsurprisingly, the first people to voice their displeasure with my book were drug dealers I wrote about. Shortly after Pill City’s Jan. 31 release, I received a series of threats from several of these Baltimore gang members, promising me I’d face retribution for reporting certain details. I also got angry calls from law enforcement personnel in Baltimore, Washington D.C., and elsewhere, asking me why I hadn’t shared the information I’d gathered for my book with their respective agencies.

But some of the most relentless attacks, to my surprise, came from fellow crime journalists.

Reporters at The Baltimore Sun and Baltimore City Paper — which is owned by the Sun — immediately attacked Pill City on their social media feeds, questioning its accuracy and credibility. They reached out to me and my publicist with interview requests, saying they were skeptical of claims made in the book. Unlike the gang members and cops who’d contacted me to voice their displeasure, these reporters didn’t have guns or badges. What they did have were powerful platforms to attack my work, and they set about that task without any veneer of objectivity.

the book sounds like total bs and the author is still in hype mode, making it sound like all these ppl are against him for uncovering some scary truths. all in the name of selling more books.

its all bs

nothing but smash and grab and run

this writer is in fantasyland

i doubt the small amount of perscrip drugs stolen in baltimore could supply the entire country with drugs

and el chapo wouldnt get involved in such small petty dealings

that guy was importing tons of coke and weed 

like he cares about a few hundred oxy pills

The New York Times and Newsday are now taking a hard look . . .

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/investigations/bs-md-ci-pill-city-folo-20170216-story.html

"He says two honor roll students from Freddie Gray's West Baltimore neighborhood masterminded the lootings in conjunction with the Black Guerrilla Family gang, and used new technology to spread the drugs throughout the country, leading to a rise in violence and drug overdoses."

There were that many pharmacies, stocking that many drugs, in the area of the riots, sufficient to cause an increase in violence and overdoses "throughout the country"?

Among other items in the article:  "A scene set in the University of Maryland's Shock Trauma Center quotes a doctor explaining her knowledge of the impact of drugs and violence because her unit treats gunshot victims and overdoses patients side by side. The hospital said is not how the facility operates: Overdose patients are sent to the emergency room; gunshot victims are taken to the separate trauma center. A spokeswoman for the hospital said other accounts "didn't ring true."

Yes, I do have to wonder how much inventory a local pharmacy keeps. As much as the book seems to indicate?

If David Simon had written it I would believe it. This story and over use of fictional names is a red flag. The looting was an unorganize event. 

http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/the-news-hole/bcpnews-inconsistencies-raise-questions-about-pill-city-a-baltimore-tale-of-drugs-and-murder-20170217-story.html

City Paper has written extensively about Baltimore gangsters, so we called sources in law enforcement and on the street to see if anyone had heard of a character who resembles Deutsch's Jimmy Masters.

"I'm talking to guys I've known for 20 years and they're laughing at me," Tony Barksdale, a decorated city detective and police commander who retired in 2012, said. "No one has heard anything like this, so I'm reaching out to guys on the federal task force side." City Paper heard from a task force member as well, who scoffed at the book's claims.

The scoffing was not quite unanimous. A lawyer for a high-level Baltimore drug dealer returned our call and said, on behalf of the dealer: "That person did exist, guy looked like one of the Isley Brothers." The old drug wholesaler said the man had been active in the 1990s and 2000s, and had been murdered circa 2015, the lawyer said. If true, Deutsch's Jimmy Masters character could change the way Baltimore understands its drug history.

Editor's note on 2016 New York Times article by Kevin Deutsch.

In response, editors and reporters at The Times conducted a detailed review of the fentanyl article. The main facts and thrust of the article, including the official data and quotes from the authorities, were confirmed. However, after extensive reporting efforts, The Times also has been unable to locate or confirm the existence of two people who were named and quoted: Jeffrey Sheridan, described as a resident of Oyster Bay, N.Y., who works as addiction counselor and whose 34-year-old nephew died from a fentanyl overdose on Staten Island in 2015; and Andrew Giordano, described as a 26-year-old resident of Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, who overdosed on a fentanyl-heroin mixture.

Mr. Deutsch maintains that the interviews and the descriptions are accurate. But he has not been able to put The Times in contact with either source, or to provide any further material to corroborate the account. At this point, editors have concluded that The Times cannot vouch for the accuracy of those sources, and that material has been removed from the online version of the article.

http://observer.com/2017/03/kevin-deutsch-plagiarism-media-ethics/

Today iMediaEthics reported that it had found at least two cases where Deutsch had made up sources for Newsday out of whole cloth. Both stories were filed after the June 2016 Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando: In one, he quotes “Eric Baumer,” who allegedly worked with gunman Omar Mateen at the private security company G4S. Nobody by that name ever worked for the company.

In the other, Deutsch includes comments from Aahil Khan, a supposed classmate and childhood friend of Mateen’s at Martin County High School in Stuart, Florida. But the district told iMediaEthics that nobody by Khan’s name had ever attended school there. Furthermore, Martin County keeps a list of district media inquiries and Deutsch’s name isn’t on the list.

More questions about Kevin Deutsch.

http://www.imediaethics.org/%E2%80%8Bexclusive-now-8-missing-sources-crime-reporter-kevin-deutschs-coverage-quits-teaching-job-last-minute-newsweek-stories-also-review/

Random friends, work colleagues and classmates of key figures in Deutsch’s big national news stories continue to not check out. And Deutsch, 35, a longtime crime reporter formerly on staff for Newsday and New York Daily News, continues to fail to provide iMediaEthics with any evidence that the sources we have found to be dubious really exist and defends all of his work in blogposts, tweets and e-mail. 

There are now eight total sources with discrepancies, proving basic fact checking steps failed, such as the reporter or his editors calling the school, NYPD, or the shooter’s gym to verify one of Deutsch’s lucky scoops. The following is, in brief, a list of the sources, the descriptions Deutsch provided for them, what the problem is, and what, if any, explanation Deutsch has offered.

When iMediaEthics last reported on Kevin Deutsch, eight sources had gone missing from the veteran crime reporter’s stories. Since then, iMediaEthics has found six more sources that cannot be verified as real, bringing the total of his unverifiable sources to 14 in Newsday, New York Times, New York Daily News and Newsweek news stories, in 10 out of 40 articles examined. So far.

- See more at: http://www.imediaethics.org/exclusive-14-phantom-sources-haunt-kevin-deutch-crime-reporting/#sthash.oHHN7Bju.dpuf

wow this guy is almost as bad as trump

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-newsday-reporter-20170712-story.html

A New York newspaper said Wednesday it has been unable to locate more than 100 sources cited by a former crime reporter during a four-and-a-half-year span.

Kevin Deutsch, the former reporter at Newsday, is also the author of "Pill City," a book published in January and marketed as telling the untold story of the Baltimore riots.

In an editor's note Wednesday, Newsday said it began a four-month review of more than 600 stories by Deutsch after The Baltimore Sun published an article in February that called elements of "Pill City" into question.