Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Tillman to miss OD...

70 posts in this topic

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4678/chris-tillman

Says he received a shot in his shoulder...back in December.

And the O's didn't do a thing to get some insurance for the rotation. I wonder what shows Dan's been binge watching this winter. My guess is The Crown or Orange is the New Black.

pitbull may be right...without Tillman this rotation IS garbage.

And the O's didn't do a thing to get some insurance for the rotation. I wonder what shows Dan's been binge watching this winter. My guess is The Crown or Orange is the New Black.

Yep and Gallardo traded after they knew.  Hello Ynoa!!!   So typical.  We have at least one starter on shelf every season early in year.  Usually curtains till June.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Ynoa.

Ynoa who?

Ynoa what Dan's been doing all offseason?

3 weeks behind schedule doesn't create that much of a problem, since the light April schedule means that the 5th man in the rotation, often misses starts. Obviously we'd prefer to see Tilly out there, while UJ gets skipped. Looking at the broader view, there isn't that much room for UJ to cause his usual, enormous damage.

Based on what they're saying, I don't see this as something to be worried about. If it was an arm injury, then you sit on pins and needles. 

3 weeks behind schedule doesn't create that much of a problem, since the light April schedule means that the 5th man in the rotation, often misses starts. Obviously we'd prefer to see Tilly out there, while UJ gets skipped. Looking at the broader view, there isn't that much room for UJ to cause his usual, enormous damage.

Based on what they're saying, I don't see this as something to be worried about. If it was an arm injury, then you sit on pins and needles. 

The team has a history of downplaying injuries.  Remember Hardy at the beginning of 2015.  Might miss a game or 2 in spring training.  Missed 2 months or so with a bum shoulder that never was right.  I'm worried.

Shoulders are bad news too and Tillman missed time last year with a bum shoulder.

This may turn out to be nothing, but I wouldn't say it's nothing to be concerned about. This rotation is already pretty thin and built on potential and Tillman is the one steady guy in it. Losing him for more time would be a huge loss.

I guess the O's doing nothing after knowing he was receiving shots proves that it's not a big deal but they've under-reacted when pitchers have had soreness before.

Who should he have gotten that was available?

Who should he have gotten that was available?

Jason Hammel.

Jason Hammel.

Hammel is not worth that contract he got. If her matches last year in the AL, I'll be shocked.

Hammel is not worth that contract he got. If her matches last year in the AL, I'll be shocked.

Hammel only got that deal because the Royals were in a jam after Ventura died. 

Don't worry. Big Dan Duquette will find his coveted "veteran starter" on the market. He's been saying this for five years.

Maybe he'll even find a leadoff hitter too. He's been saying that for five years as well.

You're right. Much better to save a few million than have a functional rotation.

Even if you think Hammel was a bad choice, the fact is DD did NOTHING to fix the rotation. NOTHING.

You may say "what should he have done?" And then respond with the inevitable "you don't know he was available/who says he didn't try/go play your Playstation," but the fact is that the results show he failed to improve the rotation in any way, and left it incredibly vulnerable to injury.

That is simply unacceptable.

Edited by Slidemaster

There's a lot of teams that would kill for Gausman and Bundy at the top of their rotation.

You're right. Much better to save a few million than have a functional rotation.

Even if you think Hammel was a bad choice, the fact is DD did NOTHING to fix the rotation. NOTHING.

You may say "what should he have done?" And then respond with the inevitable "you don't know he was available/who says he didn't try/go play your Playstation," but the fact is that the results show he failed to improve the rotation in any way, and left it incredibly vulnerable to injury.

Yeah, sign a guy who had elbow problems last year to replace a guy with shoulder problems this year. Not much of a Plan B.

Many players go the PRP/rest/rehab route the first time around because it's not invasive. After all, the Orioles did settle with Tillman (for $10 million) on January 17, which was a month after he had the first injection, so they were obviously aware of his status at that time. Tillman was a non-participant at the mini-camp in Sarasota, but he did show up and didn't reveal any problems when he was interviewed there, nor was it mentioned at FanFest. The public may not have been aware, but it's hard to imagine the team not being so.

There are three off days scheduled in the first 10 days of the season, so the Orioles won't even need a fifth starter until April 15. I say let's wait and see a bit.

Edited by mdrunning

Yeah, sign a guy who had elbow problems last year to replace a guy with shoulder problems this year. Not much of a Plan B.

Many players go the PRP/rest/rehab route the first time around because it's not invasive. After all, the Orioles did settle with Tillman (for $10 million) on January 17, which was a month after he had the first injection, so they were obviously aware of his status at that time. Tillman was a non-participant at the mini-camp in Sarasota, but he did show up and didn't reveal any problems when he was interviewed there, nor was it mentioned at FanFest. The public may not have been aware, but it's hard to imagine the team not being so.

There are three off days scheduled in the first 10 days of the season, so the Orioles won't even need a fifth starter until April 15. I say let's wait and see a bit.

Excellent point. 

Before Hammel signed with the Royals, I saw reports on MLB Trade Rumors that the Orioles had interest.

I doubt that He was the only FA pitcher the Orioles kicked the tires on after they found out about Tillman's shoulder.

Obviously, all of the FA pitchers price tag went up after the unfortunate passing of Ventura.

If Tillman suffers a setback the Orioles will be forced to sign a veteran pitcher ( FIster) or try to acquire one through a trade.

Hopefully, He's back in the rotation by the end of April, but the team has to be concerned about the recurring shoulder issues. 

My thinking is that the O's didn't add a pitcher, because they already had 6 starters. So there wasn't room for another arm that would have to stay with the big club. 

Now, if your reply is along the lines of, "He's the one who built this crappy rotation". I will agree with you. DD is laying in the bed he made. But never the less, there's only room for so many starters.   

Shoulders are bad news too and Tillman missed time last year with a bum shoulder.

This may turn out to be nothing, but I wouldn't say it's nothing to be concerned about. This rotation is already pretty thin and built on potential and Tillman is the one steady guy in it. Losing him for more time would be a huge loss.

I guess the O's doing nothing after knowing he was receiving shots proves that it's not a big deal but they've under-reacted when pitchers have had soreness before.

That's why I prefaced my comment with, "based on what they're saying". It could be a very big problem. He could be lost for the year. I'm just not jumping to the extreme realms of worry. I can only go by what the team tells us. Sure, it's fair to say that they could be downplaying the situation. Yesterday, Buck laid out a projected schedule that had Tilly making his first start on April 7th. So that's optimistic.   

There's a lot of teams that would kill for Gausman and Bundy at the top of their rotation.

Yeah a lot of teams who aren't making the playoffs. 

With Tillman healthy, I am actually very excited about the rotation, especially the front 3.

With Tillman out, not so much.

Does anyone like the idea of adding Fister? He didn't have an impressive 2015 or 2016, but his stats are still better than Miley and UJ. 

Yes, I wouldn't mind adding him regardless of whether Tillman is out for longer than expected.

Does anyone like the idea of adding Fister? He didn't have an impressive 2015 or 2016, but his stats are still better than Miley and UJ. 

I think the problem is the cost.

He made seven million last year and while He will not make that much at this point, I bet that He is looking for at least 5 million.

That's probably beyond the Orioles budget right now.

My guess is that Fister will get signed pretty quickly if and when a starting pitcher goes down during ST or the WBC.

Can't hurt.

I think the problem is the cost.

He made seven million last year and while He will not make that much at this point, I bet that He is looking for at least 5 million.

That's probably beyond the Orioles budget right now.

My guess is that Fister will get signed pretty quickly if and when a starting pitcher goes down during ST or the WBC.

I agree on the cost part.  I doubt the O's are looking to spend more than a couple more million to fill pitching depth, a corner OF with a glove and a LH relief pitcher.  I would look for more Ynoa type deals wihere teams pick up a late FA signing or make a trade and then have to clear a 40 man spot.  You actually can pick up some good talent when teams are loaded in the minor leagues.  They don't have scrubs like TJ or Gunkle hogging up a 40 man spot.  This kind of action is right up DDs alley and actually is where he excels. He might have already made the Ynoa deal based on the Tillman reports he was getting.

Also I think Buck and DD are looking for flexibility in any other pitchers they may pick up.  Young, cheap, options, can pitch long relief or start.  Fister doesn't fit any of that.