Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Tillman to miss OD...

70 posts in this topic

I'm not signing any pitcher to a long deal after age 30 unless they have very little comparative mileage on their arm. Scherzer, for example. Anyone else, no thanks.

whats "long" ???   4 years, 5 years, 7 years????

I'm not signing any pitcher to a long deal after age 30 unless they have very little comparative mileage on their arm. Scherzer, for example. Anyone else, no thanks.

I have to agree. More often than not, those deals turn into fool's gold long before the end of their term.

Even Scherzer had logged some 1,200 innings when he signed with Washington.

whats "long" ???   4 years, 5 years, 7 years????

I think that's dictated more by the market than anything else. A starting pitcher, particularly once he hits 30, is going to want more years since it's most likely the last big-ticket contract he'll ever sign. If he's seeking a lot of years, it only takes one to say "yes."

I tend to agree with this.  Again long is all relative.  Tillman will be 29 in April so next year he is at 30 and now has shown wear and tear on the shoulder.  So yeah I wouldn't do a 5 year deal starting in 2018.  That window has closed.

Posted (edited)

So who starts OD? Gausman or Bundy? I just looked up spring stats. Gausman has much better numbers although spring stats can be deceiving.

Edited by Manny

The beat writers all agree that KG will start on opening day.

If the best case scenario is that Tillman maybe makes his debut in May, then I think the O's can and should try to get by with their in-house candidates.  But if Tillman's shoulder isn't going to be "right" all season, then maybe they should consider other options.  Doug Fister and Colby Lewis, to me, seem too risky.  

At this point, Ubaldo, Miley and the #5 spot are all question marks...and we have to hope Bundy stays healthy for a full season as a starter.  So it might make sense -- if we're in contention in, say, May or early June and Tillman isn't 100% -- to make a deal for a more solid #2 starter type.  Maybe a Hellickson from Philadelphia?

If the best case scenario is that Tillman maybe makes his debut in May, then I think the O's can and should try to get by with their in-house candidates.  But if Tillman's shoulder isn't going to be "right" all season, then maybe they should consider other options.  Doug Fister and Colby Lewis, to me, seem too risky.  

At this point, Ubaldo, Miley and the #5 spot are all question marks...and we have to hope Bundy stays healthy for a full season as a starter.  So it might make sense -- if we're in contention in, say, May or early June and Tillman isn't 100% -- to make a deal for a more solid #2 starter type.  Maybe a Hellickson from Philadelphia?

The only problem with that, is the deeper you get into the season, the higher the price goes, to get a solid pitcher. Philly has no delusions about being competitive. Hellickson was offered the QO for one reason, to trade him for prospects. And his numbers in the AL east aren't very good. He isn't a #2 in the AL east. In the O's rotation, he would slot at #3. But he's better suited for #4. I'd take him over UJ and Miley, but that is hardly a compliment. He will be way overvalued in June-July. 

Not a good way for Tillman to enter his walk year, either.

If Tillman is going to miss significant time, I'd personally rather the Orioles turn to their in-house options.

I'm fine with in-house options too, as long as it's not Wilson or Wright.

I'm fine with in-house options too, as long as it's not Wilson or Wright.

Agreed. Both of those guys are now 27 yrs old. That's not "young" in baseball. And at 27, neither guy has been able to stand up to mlb hitters. I don't think I'm prematurely giving up on them. If they were 6 yrs younger, I'd say there's a chance. 

Agreed. Both of those guys are now 27 yrs old. That's not "young" in baseball. And at 27, neither guy has been able to stand up to mlb hitters. I don't think I'm prematurely giving up on them. If they were 6 yrs younger, I'd say there's a chance. 

I'd roll out Ynoa, Lee or Aquino before I'd try these two "never will be's".  You know Buck will try and shove Wright down our throats though.  He loves that guy.  He has taken TJs place. 

I posted an article about Brady. Wright plays an interesting role in that article. Brady compared him to Britton. He said Britton was a guy whose star was dimmed from coaching that was compatible with his talents. Once things got straightened out, Britton became who he is. Brady thinks Wright was suffering that same fate, and believes McDowell will get him on track.

I'm not sure how much I believe that, but I like the idea that a switch will be flipped. 

I posted an article about Brady. Wright plays an interesting role in that article. Brady compared him to Britton. He said Britton was a guy whose star was dimmed from coaching that was compatible with his talents. Once things got straightened out, Britton became who he is. Brady thinks Wright was suffering that same fate, and believes McDowell will get him on track.

I'm not sure how much I believe that, but I like the idea that a switch will be flipped. 

I hope this is the case, but who fixed Britton???  The same guys who screwed up Wright, eh??   We are on a slippery slope here with Brady.  Guys who are buddies  go running to Brady when they aren't cutting the mustard and its the coaches fault.  And it can be argued Brady has unchecked power because he is tight with Angelos and Baby A no. 2.  But Buck and DD seem to have taken this arrangement well or they are afraid to speak out.

I'm still not sure how to take this dynamic.  If the results are there I'm good.

With Brady wielding so much power, my money is now on Wright to get the starts for Tillman!!!

With Brady wielding so much power, my money is now on Wright to get the starts for Tillman!!!

Ha.

Probably gotta go with the hot hand out of ST.

Ha.

Probably gotta go with the hot hand out of ST.

The hot hand is whoever Buck says it is.  If wright is still upright come 30 Mar, he be the man.  McDowell has fixed him, LOL.  

Has anyone seen the O's give out an official diagnosis for Tillman's shoulder soreness?  I must of missed it.  I remember when the Bundy/Harvey kept having forearm tightness for months and bingo its TJ surgery. I'm just worried this isn't going away and the season will be sunk.  Well at least we aren't on the hook for a big fat contract extension.

The Orioles are aiming for a May 10 return for right-hander Chris Tillman, manager Buck Showalter informed David Hall of MLB.com. Tillman has been dealing with a shoulder issue since early in the offseason, though he does feel good about the progress he has made, per Hall. When he comes back, not only will Tillman try to help pitch the Orioles to another playoff berth, but the free agent-to-be will attempt to make a case for a rich contract.

Posted (edited)

Jeremy Guthrie agreed to go to AAA for the Nats. He had a great spring. We should have offered him a spot on the 25 man roster.

Edited by Manny

The Orioles are aiming for a May 10 return for right-hander Chris Tillman, manager Buck Showalter informed David Hall of MLB.com. Tillman has been dealing with a shoulder issue since early in the offseason, though he does feel good about the progress he has made, per Hall. When he comes back, not only will Tillman try to help pitch the Orioles to another playoff berth, but the free agent-to-be will attempt to make a case for a rich contract.

Again no details on exact problem.