#41 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,372 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

Now I'm worried. Can you say Wright and Wilson and NOT cringe?

"Orioles manager Buck Showalter warned earlier this week that any setback that kept his top starter, Chris Tillman, off the prescribed schedule on his way back from a lingering shoulder issue would be bad news for his chances of an early April return.

Well, Tillman has now had a setback, not taking his scheduled bullpen after soreness cropped up during his pre-session catch and long toss routine. Showalter’s tune has changed from hopefulness that Tillman could come back in April to assurances that he believes Tillman will come back at all.

But this spring more than most, the Orioles have options they believe can help mitigate that blow, though few teams have another Tillman waiting in their minor league stocks.

Mike Wright and Tyler Wilson began last year as starters, and a reprisal of that role would require them to take a step forward in terms of effectiveness in a big league rotation. Left-handers Chris Lee and Jayson Aquino, meanwhile, have seen their stocks rise in Showater’s eyes in a dramatic way this spring. And newcomer Gabriel Ynoa is making his first impression a good one."

http://www.baltimore...0312-story.html

Saw Mike Wrong pitch the televised Spring Training game and he looked like the same bum he has always been.

No thanks.

#42 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

So is Tillman headed for the DL? That sucks. Hopefully he can make it back before June.

#43 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

It's time for Ubaldo` to shine like the "grizzled" vet that he is!!

Pick up the slack Ubaldo!!!!

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#44 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,901 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

This season is starting to look like it's over before it starts.
The kids are alright.

#45 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,248 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

This season is starting to look like it's over before it starts.

I'd hate to win the Powerball. All those taxes!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#46 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

Not a good way for Tillman to enter his walk year, either.

If Tillman is going to miss significant time, I'd personally rather the Orioles turn to their in-house options. Colby Lewis has been mentioned, but he might be headed back to Texas since their rotation has been hit with injuries this spring. He's had success, but he's also very injury-prone. Doug Fister and his 45 mph fastball are still out there, but I'm not sure how well that would play in Camden Yards.

#47 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

If Tillman is going to miss significant time, I'd personally rather the Orioles turn to their in-house options. Colby Lewis has been mentioned, but he might be headed back to Texas since their rotation has been hit with injuries this spring. He's had success, but he's also very injury-prone. Doug Fister and his 45 mph fastball are still out there, but I'm not sure how well that would play in Camden Yards.

This seems serious as this is the same problem that first cropped up last summer.  At least the O=s foot dragging on extensions paid dividends here.  I can here Pete and Baby John singing the "I told you so" song to DD.  I'd try Ynoa, but you know its going to be Buck fav Mike Wrong.  Rotation will be in shambles by mid May.  Waiting for someone to question why we traded Gallardo, LOL!!!!

#48 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

This seems serious as this is the same problem that first cropped up last summer.  At least the O=s foot dragging on extensions paid dividends here.  I can here Pete and Baby John singing the "I told you so" song to DD.  I'd try Ynoa, but you know its going to be Buck fav Mike Wrong.  Rotation will be in shambles by mid May.  Waiting for someone to question why we traded Gallardo, LOL!!!!

I personally wouldn't have given Tillman a mega-deal regardless. The Orioles would likely have paid ace money for a guy who really isn't an ace.

#49 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

I personally wouldn't have given Tillman a mega-deal regardless. The Orioles would likely have paid ace money for a guy who really isn't an ace.

Mega deal is all relative. He is no 200mil pitcher for sure.  But he certainly would fall into the 90mil/5yrs range at a min. Smardjen money and Tillman is better.  He probably falls between Smardjen and Zimmerman.  He is a 2 plus starter.  But now that he showed up hurt, all bets are off.

#50 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,901 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

I'm not signing any pitcher to a long deal after age 30 unless they have very little comparative mileage on their arm. Scherzer, for example. Anyone else, no thanks.
The kids are alright.

#51 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

I'm not signing any pitcher to a long deal after age 30 unless they have very little comparative mileage on their arm. Scherzer, for example. Anyone else, no thanks.

whats "long" ???   4 years, 5 years, 7 years????

#52 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

I have to agree. More often than not, those deals turn into fool's gold long before the end of their term.

Even Scherzer had logged some 1,200 innings when he signed with Washington.

#53 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

whats "long" ???   4 years, 5 years, 7 years????

I think that's dictated more by the market than anything else. A starting pitcher, particularly once he hits 30, is going to want more years since it's most likely the last big-ticket contract he'll ever sign. If he's seeking a lot of years, it only takes one to say "yes."

#54 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

I tend to agree with this.  Again long is all relative.  Tillman will be 29 in April so next year he is at 30 and now has shown wear and tear on the shoulder.  So yeah I wouldn't do a 5 year deal starting in 2018.  That window has closed.

#55 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

So who starts OD? Gausman or Bundy? I just looked up spring stats. Gausman has much better numbers although spring stats can be deceiving.

Edited by Manny, 14 March 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#56 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

The beat writers all agree that KG will start on opening day.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#57 birdfan55

birdfan55

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

If the best case scenario is that Tillman maybe makes his debut in May, then I think the O's can and should try to get by with their in-house candidates.  But if Tillman's shoulder isn't going to be "right" all season, then maybe they should consider other options.  Doug Fister and Colby Lewis, to me, seem too risky.  

At this point, Ubaldo, Miley and the #5 spot are all question marks...and we have to hope Bundy stays healthy for a full season as a starter.  So it might make sense -- if we're in contention in, say, May or early June and Tillman isn't 100% -- to make a deal for a more solid #2 starter type.  Maybe a Hellickson from Philadelphia?

#58 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

If the best case scenario is that Tillman maybe makes his debut in May, then I think the O's can and should try to get by with their in-house candidates.  But if Tillman's shoulder isn't going to be "right" all season, then maybe they should consider other options.  Doug Fister and Colby Lewis, to me, seem too risky.  

At this point, Ubaldo, Miley and the #5 spot are all question marks...and we have to hope Bundy stays healthy for a full season as a starter.  So it might make sense -- if we're in contention in, say, May or early June and Tillman isn't 100% -- to make a deal for a more solid #2 starter type.  Maybe a Hellickson from Philadelphia?

The only problem with that, is the deeper you get into the season, the higher the price goes, to get a solid pitcher. Philly has no delusions about being competitive. Hellickson was offered the QO for one reason, to trade him for prospects. And his numbers in the AL east aren't very good. He isn't a #2 in the AL east. In the O's rotation, he would slot at #3. But he's better suited for #4. I'd take him over UJ and Miley, but that is hardly a compliment. He will be way overvalued in June-July. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#59 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,466 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

If Tillman is going to miss significant time, I'd personally rather the Orioles turn to their in-house options.

I'm fine with in-house options too, as long as it's not Wilson or Wright.

#60 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

I'm fine with in-house options too, as long as it's not Wilson or Wright.

Agreed. Both of those guys are now 27 yrs old. That's not "young" in baseball. And at 27, neither guy has been able to stand up to mlb hitters. I don't think I'm prematurely giving up on them. If they were 6 yrs younger, I'd say there's a chance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users