Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastsider

Residents protest over immigrant detentions

216 posts in this topic

Guess he forgot he raised his Right hand and gave an oath to office that includes "that I will support the Constitution of the United States; and that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the State of Maryland, and support the Constitution and Laws thereof"

Baltimore City Councilman Zeke Cohen, who represents the southeast section of the city, had harsh words for U.S. immigration officials.

“I want you out of my district, out of my city,” Cohen said. “Do not touch these people, like my friend Serbando. Do not touch people. Get out of Baltimore.”

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/residents-protest-over-immigrant-detentions/8872413

Good for the Councilman. I wish more would show his courage.

So your saying screw the Constitution and what it stands for.

Where in the Constitution does it say people can be rounded up and expelled out of the country?

Can you point out specifically how this protest says screw the constitution. Which constitution are you talking about anyway? MD's?

Can you point out specifically how this protest says screw the constitution. Which constitution are you talking about anyway? MD's?

The city council member who swore  support the Constitution of the United States; and that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the State of Maryland, and support the Constitution and Laws thereof"

We either have to change immigration laws or enforce them.

Can't pick and choose which laws to enforce.

Edited by Pickle20

Where in the Constitution though?

The 14th amendment and US laws about illegally entering the country both which he swore to uphold during his oath of office.

Stop splitting hairs Gertrude. This isn't Constitutional Law 101 at the local college.

We either have to change immigration laws or enforce them.

Can't pick and choose which laws to enforce.

Totally agree. When you step back and take emotion out of the equation. Illegal immagrants (or the undocumented to be PC) BROKE THE LAW  as it stands on the books at the moment. Period.

What I find interesting is that during Obama's Admin more illegals (and that is what they are) were ejected out of the country than any other President.

Yet there is all this static about mean old Trump and the ICE Nazis. For the record, I think Trump is a jerk, clueless and has absolutely no grasp of anything that is going on....so I am not defending him. All I am saying is Obama did what he did and that was OK....now Trump is doing it....bad.

Sorry I don't think with my heart....I look at reality. And these illegals BROKE THE LAW...the consequences to their children and families does NOT fall on my or your shoulders. Rather it really falls on theirs....for breaking the law in the first place.

Totally agree. When you step back and take emotion out of the equation. Illegal immagrants (or the undocumented to be PC) BROKE THE LAW  as it stands on the books at the moment. Period.

What I find interesting is that during Obama's Admin more illegals (and that is what they are) were ejected out of the country than any other President.

Yet there is all this static about mean old Trump and the ICE Nazis. For the record, I think Trump is a jerk, clueless and has absolutely no grasp of anything that is going on....so I am not defending him. All I am saying is Obama did what he did and that was OK....now Trump is doing it....bad.

Sorry I don't think with my heart....I look at reality. And these illegals BROKE THE LAW...the consequences to their children and families does NOT fall on my or your shoulders. Rather it really falls on theirs....for breaking the law in the first place.

Exactly

I'd argue that it's the opposite of courage. He has no other option politically, so he's pandering.  

Courage would be to hold his opinion, but follow the laws as written. He did take that oath, right?  If he can't keep it, he should find another job.

Where does it allow people to enter illegally, enjoy the benefits, and never become a US citizen?   So these folks are already getting a pretty big pass, and those who face deportation have put themselves on the enforcement list, by committing more crime beyond the initial entry. Same formula the Obama admin used for their unprecedented level of deportations.

Illegals in general are not being rounded up nor expelled. That would have a huge negative effect on our economy, so it's not going to happen. 

Totally agree. When you step back and take emotion out of the equation. Illegal immagrants (or the undocumented to be PC) BROKE THE LAW as it stands on the books at the moment. Period.

Here's the major difference in a nutshell

The raids, which officials said targeted known criminals, also netted some immigrants who did not have criminal records, an apparent departure from similar enforcement waves during former President Barack Obama's administration that aimed to just corral and deport those who had committed crimes.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigration/2017/02/10/trump-order-immigration-agents-raid-target-rich-communities-texas-elsewhere

As for the rest. It would be cruel and unusual to break up families...To send people away to a land where they don't know anyone or even speak the language or have any means to support themselves. It would be easier to just offer them a path to citizenship. Something GOPers refused to work with Obama to do.

How would you like it if someone sent you back to Italy if you found out today that through no fault of your own, you're not an American citizen.

And you're here illegally.

Where in the Constitution does it say people can be rounded up and expelled out of the country?

Check out "deportable aliens" in the USC brother

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-5684.html

Sec. 237 1/ [8 U.S.C. 1227]

(a) Classes of Deportable Aliens.-Any alien (including an alien crewman) in and admitted to the United States shall, upon the order of the Attorney General, be removed if the alien is within one or more of the following classes of deportable aliens:

(1) Inadmissible at time of entry or of adjustment of status or violates status.-

(A) Inadmissible aliens.-Any alien who at the time of entry or adjustment of status was within one or more of the classes of aliens inadmissible by the law existing at such time is deportable.

( B ) Present in violation of law.-Any alien who is present in the United States in violation of this Act or any other law of the 2b/ United States, or whose nonimmigrant visa (or other documentation authorizing admission into the United States as a nonimmigrant) has been revoked under section 221(i) , is deportable.

(C ) Violated nonimmigrant status or condition of entry.-

Edited by boink

Where does it allow people to enter illegally, enjoy the benefits, and never become a US citizen? So these folks are already getting a pretty big pass, and those who face deportation have put themselves on the enforcement list, by committing more crime beyond the initial entry. Same formula the Obama admin used for their unprecedented level of deportations.

Illegals in general are not being rounded up nor expelled. That would have a huge negative effect on our economy, so it's not going to happen.

It's not the same formula Obama used if you've been paying attention...

I'd argue that it's the opposite of courage. He has no other option politically, so he's pandering.  

Courage would be to hold his opinion, but follow the laws as written. He did take that oath, right?  If he can't keep it, he should find another job.

BINGO

Maybe he's waiting for Trump to find another job since he's in violation of the constitution as well...

As for the rest. It would be cruel and unusual to break up families...

Their families are free to return to their country of origin with them. 

Look, you can't keep doing the same old thing, and looking the other way while people come here illegally. It's a slap in the face to the people who do it the right way and it's against the law, point blank and the period. 

You also can't just hand them US ID's and allow them to become citizens because that sets a bad precedent that will bring other immigrants here illegally too, looking for the same deal.

At some point, and maybe it's under Trump, maybe not, the door is going to close. It has to. And that's going to be ugly. Families may be broken up. People may be sent back to places where there's little hope for them. But this is all because we allowed it to happen for so long.

IMO, you can't have open borders, but if people get elected who are able to change the laws on the books to make it that way, fine. But you also can't have what we have now. You have to enforce the law. You have to make people do it the right way. America is about doing it the right way, or at least I think that's what it used to be.

Now, I'm not so sure. People think everyone should be able to do anything and if someone says anything about it, they're evil incarnate.

Edited by Pickle20

Their families are free to return to their country of origin with them.

Where would they live? You can't just send families off to nowhere. As long as they're productive and contributing taxpayers give them a path to citizenship. We need immigrants as much as they need us.

Look, you can't keep doing the same old thing, and looking the other way while people come here illegally. It's a slap in the face to the people who do it the right way and it's against the law, point blank and the period.

You also can't just hand them US ID's and allow them to become citizens because that sets a bad precedent that will bring other immigrants here illegally too, looking for the same deal.

At some point, and maybe it's under Trump, maybe not, the door is going to close. It has to. And that's going to be ugly. Families may be broken up. People may be sent back to places where there's little hope for them. But this is all because we allowed it to happen for so long.

IMO, you can't have open borders, but if people get elected who are able to change the laws on the books to make it that way, fine. But you also can't have what we have now. You have to enforce the law. You have to make people do it the right way. America is about doing it the right way, or at least I think that's what it used to be.

Now, I'm not so sure. People think everyone should be able to do anything and if someone says anything about it, they're evil incarnate.

People are always going to overstay their visas. It's more than people sneaking across a border. We need the labor and honestly we need the brains and work ethic. Lord knows Americans are losing ours...

You make it sound as if there's suddenly some sort of dramatic pouring over the borders. Like we've reached a tipping point. The size of the immigrant population illegal or not has remained relatively static the past few years.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/03/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

Edited by Marshan Man

People are always going to overstay their visas. It's more than people sneaking across a border. We need the labor and honestly we need the brains and work ethic. Lord knows Americans are losing ours...

You make it sound as if there's suddenly some sort of dramatic pouring over the borders. Like we've reached a tipping point. The size of the immigrant population illegal or not has remained relatively static the past few years.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/03/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

So if we allow 12 million illegal aliens to stay here, why should anyone come to America the right way, and work to get citizenship?

Edited by Pickle20

So if we allow 12 million illegal aliens to stay here, why should anyone come to America the right way, and work to get citizenship?

1) it's not practicable to deport 12 million people

2) the fact that that population has stabilized means most immigrants come here "the right way" and they should all be given a path to citizenship if they so choose. A "path" doesn't mean a free ride. It means a reasonable process.