Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastsider

Residents protest over immigrant detentions

216 posts in this topic

1) it's not practicable to deport 12 million people

2) the fact that that population has stabilized means most immigrants come here "the right way" and they should all be given a path to citizenship if they so choose. A "path" doesn't mean a free ride. It means a reasonable process.

1. I know and I'm not advocating that we do. All I've said is that at some point, there has to be a direction taken. Either we open up the borders, or we start turning people away -- and sending back the ones who've fallen through the cracks. It's unfortunate that innocent people are being deported (like you mentioned earlier) but I do like the aggressive deportation of criminal foreigners. And it shouldn't just be for violent criminals either.

2. I'd wager many don't want any part of citizenship if it takes time and money. And many of them don't want to come out of the shadows for fear of being deported.

It's not the same formula Obama used if you've been paying attention...

No, it is enforcement of existing immigration law as it is written, not picking and choosing which parts to enforce and which parts to ignore.

I find it so pathetic that we hear all of this noise about the need to reform our immigration laws (and any such "reform" would make them less stringent than current law) because we have somewhere between 11 and 12 million undocumented persons in this country because we have failed to enforce the existing laws for decades. Clearly illegal immigration into this country got out of hand decades ago and we ignored it until it was a huge problem. Now the reformers want us to weaken the laws and create a path to some form of legal residency for millions of people simply because of the sheer number of them and the "hardship" they would bear if we enforced existing laws. SMH

Why do some keep chirping this "we need to provide a path to citizenship" bullhockey???

A path to citizenship already exists dammitt.

The problem is that (apparently) many (most?) illegal immigrants don't want to become US citizens. Most of them have had plenty of time to get in line.

Where in the Constitution does it say people can be rounded up and expelled out of the country?

Where in the Constitution does it say foreigners have a right to come to this country?

Here's the major difference in a nutshell

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigration/2017/02/10/trump-order-immigration-agents-raid-target-rich-communities-texas-elsewhere

As for the rest. It would be cruel and unusual to break up families...To send people away to a land where they don't know anyone or even speak the language or have any means to support themselves. It would be easier to just offer them a path to citizenship. Something GOPers refused to work with Obama to do.

How would you like it if someone sent you back to Italy if you found out today that through no fault of your own, you're not an American citizen.

And you're here illegally.

Nothing is preventing family members from following the deported individual back to the country to which said individual was deported.

There is already a path to citizenship. It's been around for over 100 years. Millions of people have followed it and become citizens. So why can't the people who are coming here illegally do the same?

No, it is enforcement of existing immigration law as it is written, not picking and choosing which parts to enforce and which parts to ignore.

I find it so pathetic that we hear all of this noise about the need to reform our immigration laws (and any such "reform" would make them less stringent than current law) because we have somewhere between 11 and 12 million undocumented persons in this country because we have failed to enforce the existing laws for decades. Clearly illegal immigration into this country got out of hand decades ago and we ignored it until it was a huge problem. Now the reformers want us to weaken the laws and create a path to some form of legal residency for millions of people simply because of the sheer number of them and the "hardship" they would bear if we enforced existing laws. SMH

Laws mean nothing if hey can't be enforced. It's not a weakening of laws reformers want rather realistic laws that can be implemented and enforced.

Why do some keep chirping this "we need to provide a path to citizenship" bullhockey???

A path to citizenship already exists dammitt.

The problem is that (apparently) many (most?) illegal immigrants don't want to become US citizens. Most of them have had plenty of time to get in line.

It's an unreasonable path for many. And again, if we didn't need the labor they wouldn't come here

Nothing is preventing family members from following the deported individual back to the country to which said individual was deported.

There is already a path to citizenship. It's been around for over 100 years. Millions of people have followed it and become citizens. So why can't the people who are coming here illegally do the same?

What good would it do to follow a family member back and lose your livelihood? At least they might be able to send them money until they got their footing in what's essentially a foreign country.

There weren't as many people here 100 years ago. Laws have changed and the old method is outdated

What good would it do to follow a family member back and lose your livelihood? At least they might be able to send them money until they got their footing in what's essentially a foreign country.

There weren't as many people here 100 years ago. Laws have changed and the old method is outdated

Change the laws is the way to go but for now the current law must be followed by everyone.

I would never protest against legal immigrants. All are welcome. I would protest against those who have entered this country illegally.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't feel the same.

Change the laws is the way to go but for now the current law must be followed by everyone.

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

I would never protest against legal immigrants. All are welcome. I would protest against those who have entered this country illegally.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't feel the same.

Maybe they feel like those immigrants that entered the country illegally are having a positive impact on their community. That's pretty much what they said. No?

Maybe they feel like those immigrants that entered the country illegally are having a positive impact on their community. That's pretty much what they said. No?

Yup, you can do nice things to not let people on to you being here illegally .....

It's an unreasonable path for many. And again, if we didn't need the labor they wouldn't come here

If we didn't need the labor ..???

Is there a sign out there somewhere that says come to the US, we need grass cutters and dishwashers and hotel staff. Our citizens don't want to do it ......

Where would they live? You can't just send families off to nowhere. As long as they're productive and contributing taxpayers give them a path to citizenship. We need immigrants as much as they need us.

When these people crossed the border, illegally, were they concerned so much about where they would live here? I think not.

What's got the Left all in a lather is that for the first time in a decade immigration LAWS are being enforced, as they should have been all along IF we are the "nation of laws" we claim to be, They know when they jump the border that they are violating US law, but they don't care and neither do those who support them,.

What's got the Left all in a lather is that for the first time in a decade immigration LAWS are being enforced, as they should have been all along IF we are the "nation of laws" we claim to be, They know when they jump the border that they are violating US law, but they don't care and neither do those who support them,.

If we're such a nation of laws then the impeachment process should begin soon.

What's got the Left all in a lather is that for the first time in a decade immigration LAWS are being enforced, as they should have been all along 

Stop the BS

Removals Overview
  • ICE conducted 240,255 removals.
  • ICE conducted 65,332 removals of individuals apprehended by ICE officers (i.e., interior removals) (Figure 5).
    • 60,318 (92 percent) of all interior removals were previously convicted of a crime.
  • ICE conducted 174,923 removals of individuals apprehended at or near the border or ports of entry.[3]
  • 58 percent of all ICE removals, or 138,669, were previously convicted of a crime.
    • ICE conducted 60,318 interior criminal removals.
    • ICE removed 78,351 criminals apprehended at or near the border or ports of entry.
  • 99.3 percent of all ICE FY 2016 removals, or 238,466, met one or more of ICE’s stated civil immigration enforcement priorities.[4]
  • Of the 101,586 aliens removed who had no criminal conviction, 95 percent, or 96,572, were apprehended at or near the border or ports of entry.[5]
  • The leading countries of origin for removals were Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador.
  • 2,057 aliens removed by ICE were classified as suspected or confirmed gang members.

https://www.ice.gov/removal-statistics/2016

The laws have always been enforced. Stop the partisan BS

Don't care. Return and re-enter. Legally.

Kenny,, if the laws were being enforced, as you say, how come there was no "fear" in the illegal-alien community until Trump was elected?

How come they didn't feel threatened by ICE under Obama? Was it perhaps because they knew that the laws were not being enforced seriously.

Trump said he was going to do this.  Did you and the other misguided lefties not believe he meant what he said?

No doubt there will be many sad stories but that is the risk the illegals knew they were taking when they jumped the border. The risk level has been generally low for year but now the risk level has risen and they are panicking. 

We need immigrants as much as they need us.

That attempt at quid pro quo is neither valid nor true.

Even if true, there is a vast difference between immigrants and illegal aliens.

Unreasonable path...unreasonable path... maybe if I repeat it a hundred more times it will make sense to me.

I think it is an unreasonable path that I must follow to purchase a firearm. I also think it is an unreasonable path I must follow if I want to carry a concealed weapon. I think I drive better than 75% of the people in Md....I think it is unreasonable that I must pass tests to get a license, it is unreasonable that I have to renew said license....since I drive just fine ...thank you very much.

Shall I go on?

Because a LAW is unreasonable from ones viewpoint..in your world...it is OK to ignore it?

My friend that is called anarchy.

See the city if you need examples of ignoring laws because it is unreasonable.

Well why are they able to get jobs?