Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Simple Question :Do You Consider Donald Trump To Be Your President?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,561 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:29 AM

I had hoped to see a woman president before riding off into the sunset, but if the past election showed me anything it's that there is no woman on earth America would have voted for in 2016.
I thought Hillary was a shoo-in.
I was wrong.

I don't see nor can I think of any women who would change that idea for me in the foreseeable future.
Maybe in 2068 America will finally elect a female president.

I disagree. I believe a woman would have a great chance at being president, just not that woman. People said the same thing about a black man. And had the black man nominated been Al Sharpton, he would have suffered the same fate as Hillary. Obama won because he projected himself well, and he addressed the concerns of people following the financial collapse in 2008. And Obama beat two much better presidential candidates than Donald Trump.

Hillary lost because she carried too much baggage. She just isn't likeable and no matter how much knowledge of policy and foreign affairs a person has, to win the presidency you have to be somewhat likeable. Bush beat Gore in part because Gore came off as a pompous, condescending arse in the debates. Clinton beat Bush Sr. in part because Bush came off looking tired and old on the campaign trail. Bill Clinton has that BS, schmoozer role down to a tee and he came off as the more likeable candidate. His wife is the total opposite. She can probably answer any question you throw at her adequately, but she is like that Aunt in your family that you always go out of the way to avoid as a kid because she is bossy, overbearing, and just not a likeable person. And then there are the scandals. I know she was never convicted of anything, but every time she seems like she is just on that line between legal and illegal. Not unlike Trump at all, but her baggage has been in the news for a lot longer.

Then there was her campaign. It was terrible. Trump made so many mistakes and alienated so many voting blocks that he should have been done early. But after the conventions Hillary's whole campaign seemed to be pointing out how incompetent and dangerous Trump was. Everything she said was about Trump. That played into his strength. Instead of talking to the people about what she could do for them, she told them how bad he was. All that did was solidify the people supporting him. While she was spending her time telling people how dangerous Trump was, he was telling the people of middle America what they wanted to hear. She had the dense population centers of the Northeast and West coast sown up, but ignored all of middle America and the south. She seemed not to realize that the president is elected based on electoral votes and not simply winning big majorities of the popular votes in dense population centers.

I don't think that a woman can't win the presidency as much as it was the woman running couldn't win it. This election was so bad that I actually voted for someone other than the two party candidates for the first time ever, and that stretches back to Carter/Reagan. I too was wrong about this election. I thought that Hillary would win. I figured republicans would wake up the day after the election and realize they nominated the only candidate who could lose to Hillary Clinton. It turned out to be the exact opposite. Hopefully the next woman to run will not be named Hillary Clinton. That will be a plus for her from the start.

Edited by cprenegade, 17 February 2017 - 01:30 AM.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#82 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

JMO... If Elizabeth Warren keeps rolling the way she is and the Republican ahhhhhhh leaders keep feeding her ammo (see her being shutdown on the floor for example) to build her reputation. I bet my bottom dollar we are talking about the next Prez of the US.

#83 Sprightly

Sprightly

Your feelings are not a protected right, but my free speech is.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,375 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

I disagree. I believe a woman would have a great chance at being president, just not that woman. People said the same thing about a black man. And had the black man nominated been Al Sharpton, he would have suffered the same fate as Hillary. Obama won because he projected himself well, and he addressed the concerns of people following the financial collapse in 2008. And Obama beat two much better presidential candidates than Donald Trump.

Hillary lost because she carried too much baggage. She just isn't likeable and no matter how much knowledge of policy and foreign affairs a person has, to win the presidency you have to be somewhat likeable. Bush beat Gore in part because Gore came off as a pompous, condescending arse in the debates. Clinton beat Bush Sr. in part because Bush came off looking tired and old on the campaign trail. Bill Clinton has that BS, schmoozer role down to a tee and he came off as the more likeable candidate. His wife is the total opposite. She can probably answer any question you throw at her adequately, but she is like that Aunt in your family that you always go out of the way to avoid as a kid because she is bossy, overbearing, and just not a likeable person. And then there are the scandals. I know she was never convicted of anything, but every time she seems like she is just on that line between legal and illegal. Not unlike Trump at all, but her baggage has been in the news for a lot longer.

Then there was her campaign. It was terrible. Trump made so many mistakes and alienated so many voting blocks that he should have been done early. But after the conventions Hillary's whole campaign seemed to be pointing out how incompetent and dangerous Trump was. Everything she said was about Trump. That played into his strength. Instead of talking to the people about what she could do for them, she told them how bad he was. All that did was solidify the people supporting him. While she was spending her time telling people how dangerous Trump was, he was telling the people of middle America what they wanted to hear. She had the dense population centers of the Northeast and West coast sown up, but ignored all of middle America and the south. She seemed not to realize that the president is elected based on electoral votes and not simply winning big majorities of the popular votes in dense population centers.

I don't think that a woman can't win the presidency as much as it was the woman running couldn't win it. This election was so bad that I actually voted for someone other than the two party candidates for the first time ever, and that stretches back to Carter/Reagan. I too was wrong about this election. I thought that Hillary would win. I figured republicans would wake up the day after the election and realize they nominated the only candidate who could lose to Hillary Clinton. It turned out to be the exact opposite. Hopefully the next woman to run will not be named Hillary Clinton. That will be a plus for her from the start.

Excellent.

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#84 Norman

Norman

Sweden, who would believe this, Sweden!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,609 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

That's a bit more thought out than "Wrong again, she will not be my president, just like the low life in the white house now is not my president."

#85 gonzoliberal

gonzoliberal

Higher Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,317 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

Of course teh Donald is 'my' preznit.

'My country (right or wrong...), my preznit (right or wrong).

Like taxes, ownership of the So-Called Ruler Of The United States (SCROTUS) comes with the territory.

#86 Dinglehopper

Dinglehopper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

I have no commentary, just a straight forward question.

Noting all the many defenders he has around here who DIDN'T vote for him I was just wondering how many here will admit, publicly, to the question asked in this topic.

Oh, and NO, I do not consider Donald Trump to be 'My' President.
I think of him as president of the people who voted for him and those who thought voting for "no one' was such a good idea.

Yes.  I do not like or trust him but he is the President and the office should be respected even if I oppose his administration. 

#87 SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

Yes.  I do not like or trust him but he is the President and the office should be respected even if I oppose his administration.

Just a point of reference - Since Trump doesn't respect the office, himself, it's very hard to respect, or take seriously, the individual currently occupying 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. When he stops all his childish rants, and antics, and decides to put on the presidential big-boy pants, let me know. Maybe then, he'll get some respect. Until then, threats and false allegations will serve no purpose other than to make people want to push back.

#88 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,760 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Md

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

Very well stated.
I can see much of what you're saying and agree.

Now, name the woman alive today, (not child or teenager because you couldn't know), who America 'might' have voted for.

I still have doubts that America would have voted in 2016 for any woman.
Maybe there's a deeper meaning to it all.
Something we can't see at the moment.

Edited by georjec2, 17 February 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#89 FourTwenty

FourTwenty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

Why is it that when a Republican is in office, the left always claims someone else is in charge, Bush/Cheney, Trump/Bannon/Putin, but when its a Democrat, its all them and no one else? Who was running it for Obama??

I think it's because many on the left believe Trump and Bush were too stupid to handle the duties of President themselves. 

#90 Fang

Fang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

Was Obama everyone's president?
Was Obama 'Any'Trump supporters president?
I understand the sentiment.
I'm still a U.S. citizen.

Obama was my president as is Trump. That's how it works for Americans.

#91 luthersomd

luthersomd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:11 PM

I agree with all those who say that Hillary had to much baggage and the "no more Clintons" group of voters drowned her chance of being elected.  Lost in all that is the fact that almost 3 million more people voted for her than Trump.  Those voters will long remember this election.  They have a chip on their shoulder...lets see how that plays out.

#92 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:37 PM

Yes. I do not like or trust him but he is the President and the office should be respected even if I oppose his administration.

Exactly respect the office not necessarily the person.
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#93 RavensGrrl

RavensGrrl

Silly Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,735 posts
  • Locationblissville

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:15 AM

Very well stated.
I can see much of what you're saying and agree.

Now, name the woman alive today, (not child or teenager because you couldn't know), who America 'might' have voted for.

I still have doubts that America would have voted in 2016 for any woman.
Maybe there's a deeper meaning to it all.
Something we can't see at the moment.

how is this possible, my friend? nearly 66 million people voted for hillary. she actually got more votes than the man. 

cprenegade's post is spot on. but that notwithstanding, hillary still had a great opportunity to win the election. 

it's all about his pickle

#94 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,811 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:54 AM

He's the president of the united States of America ......

I am a citizen of the united States of America .....

So what's that mean .....
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users