Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nomad974

Bob Milloy Retires

13 posts in this topic

Damn, one of the guys I talked with late last week about re-classifying told us this was probably coming down soon but we all blew that off.  I'll be damn he was right.....

Man....coaches are jumping out of the game!   Congrats to him, but he changes his mind we would welcome him at Howard.....JUST saying..... :P;)

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but does Cilento head back to Olney?

Doubt it.  Last time Cilento was in Olney he replaced Al Thomas.  Despite a strong season he wasnt treated well (and thats as nice as I can put it).

He has a great thing going at Bullis.  Dont see him moving anytime soon.

Not surprised. Once he reached the 400 mark it was pretty much a wrap.  He has been in the game and done well for years averaging almost 9 wins a season which is pretty impressive.   He had GC on roll for 4 years there winning WCAC titles each year.  I hope the program finds a young coach who can keep them competitive. No disrespect to more seasoned coaches but it the game is going to continue to be a great game there has to be an influx of younger guys who can relate to today's young athletes and their families. A lot has changed recently: recruiting, the parents expectations, looking for playing time as freshman, etc. and the ease in which parents/kids just move from place to place.  

Good Luck to Him.

People remember DM's thrilling comeback vs SJC. In my opinion the comeback vs GC in the first round of the playoffs was even more improbable because GC had the ball on the DM five yard line late in the 4th quarter to seal the upset of the decade. A fumbled snap and couple of other things led to a late DM comeback to save their season. GC started a sophomore QB that was making his first start vs the #4 team in the nation. The fact that they made it a battle is a credit to their coaching. I remember a similar situation in the first round of the playoffs in 2014 when GC had a highly ranked Dematha team on the ropes in the 4th quarter and blocked PAT and a short kickoff led to another miraculous DM comeback.

I hear their defensive coordinator is retiring also. Beau has faced him 6 times and says he has never been more confused than the 6 games that he has faced GC. They do a good job over there. They also do a great job getting their kids recruited. Hats off to a legend.

Edited by aacountyfootball

Doubt it.  Last time Cilento was in Olney he replaced Al Thomas.  Despite a strong season he wasnt treated well (and thats as nice as I can put it).

He has a great thing going at Bullis.  Dont see him moving anytime soon.

Has a good thing going up there! Dont see that happening at all!

Wanted to add.   Milloy's run of well-coached killer Springbrook  teams was where I started interest in Maryland HS Football. I remember Shawn Springs as a somewhat scrawny punt returner on a team with lots of other players. PG county teams came over to Mont Co in state playoffs with size and speed but Milloy's teams always seemed to have smart sharp O Lines.  Milloy always won. Back then, when he walked onto the field, there was a 'something' where you felt like he was the smartest guy in the 'room'.
    Milloy retires leaving a long string of well-coached championship teams and I'm grateful to have been a fan.  Easily among best coaches in MD football history. Back when a coaching staff still mattered more than recruiting, Milloy and his teams won.

Has a good thing going up there! Dont see that happening at all!

Yeah, admissions/leadership are giving him (and his players) a very long leash. 

Wanted to add.   Milloy's run of well-coached killer Springbrook  teams was where I started interest in Maryland HS Football. I remember Shawn Springs as a somewhat scrawny punt returner on a team with lots of other players. PG county teams came over to Mont Co in state playoffs with size and speed but Milloy's teams always seemed to have smart sharp O Lines.  Milloy always won. Back then, when he walked onto the field, there was a 'something' where you felt like he was the smartest guy in the 'room'.

Milloy retires leaving a long string of well-coached championship teams and I'm grateful to have been a fan.  Easily among best coaches in MD football history. Back when a coaching staff still mattered more than recruiting, Milloy and his teams won.

Very well said.