Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleedingorangeandblack

Kids are

327 posts in this topic

Wasn't that Poggi's plan.....  Mission Complete.

You're correct GA your boy Lee is supposedly heading to the city as well . City you're right kids are being recruited over big time down there

Would be a crushing blow with that schedule this fall...

But GA talked about the prideful Gilman alums opening checkbooks and all to get back into the dominance mix over the headmaster's desires.  Whatever happened to all of that?  OR, is Gilman now what we can expect will be the norm...quiet as a church mass.

Guys are defending 20 year old high school players man what heck is this football thing come too

im defending getting kids to college. So if that's the case...iguess I am.

im defending getting kids to college. So if that's the case...iguess I am.

Lol 20yrd olds are considered kids these days.

You're correct GA your boy Lee is supposedly heading to the city as well . City you're right kids are being recruited over big time down there

He's not going anywhere as of right now. That could change though and it might not be to SFA FYI.

City that's what I'm saying it's a good chance they will

Only underclassman that left Gilman that's not already at SFA that could end up at SFA is Lee. Coaches over there do more for him than SJC coaches. Gregory, Taron and Franklin are staying where they are. And Umbarger can't go to SFA without sitting out a year.

Times have changed that is for sure.  I saw a tweet where a kid (youth football player) announced that he received an offer from Archbishop Carroll to play football. 

Needless to say I SMH first in amusement then the the old man came out and I started thinking (what are we doing here)?

What's next, middle school kids announcing where they will play youth football.

Kids tweeting that they are going to ABC to play football? Not to be rude, but with the current state of affairs over there, is that really worth tweeting about?

Kids tweeting that they are going to ABC to play football? Not to be rude, but with the current state of affairs over there, is that really worth tweeting about?

You sound like you are in the know.  So just what is the current state of affairs over there at WCAC Archbishop Carroll?

You sound like you are in the know.  So just what is the current state of affairs over there at WCAC Archbishop Carroll?

A quick look at their W-L record would be a dead giveaway - something like 0-10 or 0-11 this season. Vastly improved coach and administration, but tough recruiting to that school relative to other WCAC programs. 

A quick look at their W-L record would be a dead giveaway - something like 0-10 or 0-11 this season. Vastly improved coach and administration, but tough recruiting to that school relative to other WCAC programs. 

And another WCAC team won just one more game than Arch Carroll beating ABC and that other team some would argue had a very good coach in Franks.  So would you say they also have a current state of affairs?  Just curious....

I would have to look at roster, can't think of the Bmore area kids off hand. Howard County is "technically" Bmore are but I wasn't talking about them. Good Counsel is closer to Howard County than Baltimore.

Stefanelli is one of the recruiters over there because of Grassroots. I personally just never looked at him as a Head high school Varsity coach to be honest.

He's a GC grad and has been the freshman coach/ head recruiter for the majority of the Milloy era.  And certainly the era when the 'ships were won.  He basically runs the Rockville youth league and is one of the original coaches of the Grassroots league.  He basically controls two feeder programs for kids in that area.  However, the school has been tamping down the program - and all sports - to some extent.  They are trying to be known for something beyond tuition subsidized athletics.  And the cost to compete in all sports has just gotten too prohibitive unless someone is there to underwrite it. Even the girls sports.  Surprisingly, alumni financial support is tepid overall - so after need based financial aid they don't have much to plow back.  It's a bad move IMO - because it is essentially the marketing department if they play it right.  Another coach who wants the job - and is capable of coaching a competitive WCAC team - is going to want the resources.  I would imagine they are getting tons of interest in the job.  It would be a perfect job for a guy like Biff because he would write his own checks.  And so long as he was the "presidents guy" he could probably get away with it.  Stefanelli has a day job - so he probably doesn't really need a check.  He's local and has kids in the school. If they don't give him the job - it may be the single most idiotic coaching move we have seen in the last 20 years.  It would also be pretty disloyal - especially if, as an institution, you take a step back and say we are stepping down funding and don't really expect to win anyway.  He's earned the opportunity.           

So again in the private world, it all boils down to the deeper pockets willing to buy the better mercenaries with athletic scholarships need based aid (whatever athletic aid the school think it needs).  I ain't mad at the privates for this model.  It is what it is as it's all out there for you all....  I'd wish you all do a MD private state championship rather than all the various 5, 6, 7 team league titles.  I even previously suggested a name for the private state championships -- The MD Annual Private Secondary Schools DeMatha Invitational.

Edited by DayWalker

He's a GC grad and has been the freshman coach/ head recruiter for the majority of the Milloy era.  And certainly the era when the 'ships were won.  He basically runs the Rockville youth league and is one of the original coaches of the Grassroots league.  He basically controls two feeder programs for kids in that area.  However, the school has been tamping down the program - and all sports - to some extent.  They are trying to be known for something beyond tuition subsidized athletics.  And the cost to compete in all sports has just gotten too prohibitive unless someone is there to underwrite it. Even the girls sports.  Surprisingly, alumni financial support is tepid overall - so after need based financial aid they don't have much to plow back.  It's a bad move IMO - because it is essentially the marketing department if they play it right.  Another coach who wants the job - and is capable of coaching a competitive WCAC team - is going to want the resources.  I would imagine they are getting tons of interest in the job.  It would be a perfect job for a guy like Biff because he would write his own checks.  And so long as he was the "presidents guy" he could probably get away with it.  Stefanelli has a day job - so he probably doesn't really need a check.  He's local and has kids in the school. If they don't give him the job - it may be the single most idiotic coaching move we have seen in the last 20 years.  It would also be pretty disloyal - especially if, as an institution, you take a step back and say we are stepping down funding and don't really expect to win anyway.  He's earned the opportunity.

Both of those feeder programs are second rate. If that's where GC is getting their kids no wonder they have declined.

Both of those feeder programs are second rate. If that's where GC is getting their kids no wonder they have declined.

You think Grassroots is second rate?

Biff would never coach at GC. Why? He's at his dream place. SFA basically plays by their own rules. It's Gilman without the restrictions. They're building dorms, McGregor is literally making house calls to Richmond, Va. They have four kids coming from Richmond, including one of the best LB's in the country. They're getting transfers from all over.

The game is over in the area! SFA will be the dominant program, over DeMatha. The only glimmer of hope would be a big name to take over the Gilman job with their money. Because SFA even with all of their talent, can be out coached.

Biff would never coach at GC. Why? He's at his dream place. SFA basically plays by their own rules. It's Gilman without the restrictions. They're building dorms, McGregor is literally making house calls to Richmond, Va. They have four kids coming from Richmond, including one of the best LB's in the country. They're getting transfers from all over.

The game is over in the area! SFA will be the dominant program, over DeMatha. The only glimmer of hope would be a big name to take over the Gilman job with their money. Because SFA even with all of their talent, can be out coached.

But you were okay when Biff played by whatever rules he elected to play by or not at Gilman when he kicked @zz all over the place with boat loads of D1 signings each year.  Where did Taron and Troy come from?  Weren't they from VA also GA?  The DayWalker is simply saying all Biff's doing was okay with you when he was doing it at Gilman and what he is doing now would be okay to you if he were still at Gilman.  But why are you alarmed.....You told us Gilman alum have met and opened the checkbooks to get Gilman back into the arms race.  Has your check cleared.....

Edited by DayWalker

You think Grassroots is second rate?

I see it as a league of Mercenaries run by one of the original mercenaries.

But you were okay when Biff played by whatever rules he elected to play by or not at Gilman when he kicked @zz all over the place with boat loads of D1 signings each year.  Where did Taron and Troy come from?  Weren't they from VA also GA?  The DayWalker is simply saying all Biff's doing was okay with you when he was doing it at Gilman and what he is doing now would be okay to you if he were still at Gilman.  But why are you alarmed.....You told us Gilman alum have met and opened the checkbooks to get Gilman back into the arms race.  Has your check cleared.....

I thought the kids were standing in lines to go to Gilman for their life long relationships. When Biff left, that went out the window.

I thought the kids were standing in lines to go to Gilman for their life long relationships. When Biff left, that went out the window.

Kids can't stand in line and just go to Gilman, even when Biff was there. This isn't Damascus. Kids can stand in line and go to SFA. They can just go over to the old Old Towne Mall and grab kids off the street and get them in. Different worlds.

I see it as a league of Mercenaries run by one of the original mercenaries.

Whatever you see it is doesn't mean it's second rate. Sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

I said a "guy like Biff".  Not Biff.  Meaning a guy with the demonstrated capacity to write his own checks to resolve that pesky tuition thing.

Kids can't stand in line and just go to Gilman, even when Biff was there. This isn't Damascus. Kids can stand in line and go to SFA. They can just go over to the old Old Towne Mall and grab kids off the street and get them in. Different worlds.

Spoken like a true Gilman elitist.