#321 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts
  • LocationIn Your Worst Nightmares

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

I dont know that distance matters all that much. Look at Petitbon (who I dont believe Brady can take credit for) at Gonzaga. Didn't he commute from Annapolis to DC every day to get to HS. Mileage to Downtown DC from the likes of Annapolis is shorter than a trip from DC to Leonardtown, but when you factor in traffic, the rides become almost equal time-wise. Long and short, if you can get a coach to make a compelling enough case, the kids will come. And, while the cubbard is far more bare in Leonardtown than it is in say, PG, SMR would be pretty much competing against only itself. Just my two cents. 

It's not distance BUT travel time and commute options.  There are major thorough fares, different routes, and various modes of transportation between Annapolis and downtown DC that's not afforded the SMR / DC commute.   In addition to cars and common scheduled commuter buses, even Marc trains that travel thru that Annapolis/Bowie area go to DC Union Station, a couple blocks from Gonzaga.  Daily travel to the SMR peninsula is only by road --- private car, rideshare, and a non-public school bus transport I know one of my friends paid $2200 a year for when his kid attended SMR.  The SMR area is a very nice area but quite rural peninsula that can be a headache commute for outsiders.  It's a lot like the peninsula Hampton area I lived in where to travel south, one was better off going north for 70-miles to Richmond to connect to I95 south.

I'm not saying SMR can't overcome this hurdle to attract good talent.  But nonetheless it's a great hurdle I believe Franks is now very well aware who recruited players but couldn't hold on to them because of the things like the commute.  Dorms maybe would help....

#322 GOOCH

GOOCH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Good point JB

#323 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

Good luck with this... The SMAC already has 14 or so teams who need to skip seasons in play. SMR never had a relationship with public schools in southern MD so your "tap" into Waldorf / PG is off base in The Daywalker's opinion, particularly if SMR wants to just use teams in that area. SMR is more likely to deal with other privates like Riverdale Baptist, Severn, O'Connell, St. Albans, etc.

To be fair way back in the day SMR was part of SMAC
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#324 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

To be fair way back in the day SMR was part of SMAC

I don't know how this would make it fair.  SMR did leave the SMAC to join the WCAC.  As a member of the SMAC and being a private, SMR wasn't a MPSSAA school and could not compete in the public championship so I think it was in the twilight zone.  Maybe SMR is still in the twilight zone having dropped out the WCAC in football.

#325 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

I don't know how this would make it fair. SMR did leave the SMAC to join the WCAC. As a member of the SMAC and being a private, SMR wasn't a MPSSAA school and could not compete in the public championship so I think it was in the twilight zone. Maybe SMR is still in the twilight zone having dropped out the WCAC in football.

It was the early 90's and they did not compete in the MPSSAA playoffs.
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#326 Maroontiger419

Maroontiger419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

I don't know how this would make it fair. SMR did leave the SMAC to join the WCAC. As a member of the SMAC and being a private, SMR wasn't a MPSSAA school and could not compete in the public championship so I think it was in the twilight zone. Maybe SMR is still in the twilight zone having dropped out the WCAC in football.

SMR should've sued to join the MPSSAA. Would've easily won.

#327 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

SMR should've sued to join the MPSSAA. Would've easily won.

You have a law degree or just passed a couple bars Hack?

Be careful of what you sue for cause you just may have to follow the rules of who you sued to join to inturn "easily lose."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users