• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,525 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

Engineering programs report big drop in foreign applications.

http://www.sciencema...neering-schools

Who needs top science talent? Pffft.

#2 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,333 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

Who didn't see this coming?
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#3 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,210 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

The right is anti-intellectual.

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

Has Obama Taken Away Your Guns Yet?

#4 microg

microg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

Engineering programs report big drop in foreign applications.

http://www.sciencema...neering-schools

Who needs top science talent? Pffft.

Americans aren't smart enough to become engineers?

Edited by microg, 16 February 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#5 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,087 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

So what is Trump's plan to generate more American engineers?

#6 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,661 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

That's a tough one to answer, but even if we had enough smart people to get good numbers, enough Americans don't want to be engineers.

Why? Some degrees, like civil engineering and computer science are kind of hard. Others, like electrical engineering and physics, are really, really hard. Even if the kids have the intelligence, nearly all lack the interest and motivation needed to achieve these degrees.

There's a great advantage to getting kids from other countries into our schools and workforce. Many of them end up naturalized US citizens and we get to poach the brains from other countries. This has been a huge advantage for us going back to at least the World War II period.

#7 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,661 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

So what is Trump's plan to generate more American engineers?

He probably thinks he could have gotten an engineering degree. Dude would not have put in the work. He would have washed out the second semester of calculus.

#8 ODENTON

ODENTON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

just a reminder;

"The Powers of the President will not be questioned!"

#9 microg

microg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

That's a tough one to answer, but even if we had enough smart people to get good numbers, enough Americans don't want to be engineers.

Why? Some degrees, like civil engineering and computer science are kind of hard. Others, like electrical engineering and physics, are really, really hard. Even if the kids have the intelligence, nearly all lack the interest and motivation needed to achieve these degrees.

There's a great advantage to getting kids from other countries into our schools and workforce. Many of them end up naturalized US citizens and we get to poach the brains from other countries. This has been a huge advantage for us going back to at least the World War II period.

One thing I observed when I was in the computer science program was that some foreigners could talk about the course content conversationally like someone would discuss sports or their favorite beer.  It seems so anti-american to do that and I wish it would change.  I would like to see half of the reality tv dropped from cable and replaced with technical/science education.  Why can't there be a show called The Diffy-Q hour?  But I bet I'm getting a bunch of snickers now and this is why America is so behind the curve.

#10 FatBoy

FatBoy

Obama Did It Too

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,212 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

I doubt if Donny and his minions ever thought of this additional unintended consequence. 

If we are here to help others, I often wonder what the others are here for. - Sir Thomas Robert Dewar

#11 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

One thing I observed when I was in the computer science program was that some foreigners could talk about the course content conversationally like someone would discuss sports or their favorite beer.  It seems so anti-american to do that and I wish it would change.  I would like to see half of the reality tv dropped from cable and replaced with technical/science education.  Why can't there be a show called The Diffy-Q hour?  But I bet I'm getting a bunch of snickers now and this is why America is so behind the curve.

Americans seem to like making fun of the smart people, the nerds so to speak.  Look at the movies and tv shows, teachers and A+ students are made fun of all the time.

I would love to see the reality tv shows gone and more intellectual show appear.  It almost seems to be a race to how dumb Americans can be.

#12 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,333 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

I'd like to see more American engineers but that requires long-term changes to our education systems

In the short-term, we need to import the best engineers from all over the world
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#13 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

Beat me to it.

#14 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

Americans seem to like making fun of the smart people, the nerds so to speak.  Look at the movies and tv shows, teachers and A+ students are made fun of all the time.

I would love to see the reality tv shows gone and more intellectual show appear.  It almost seems to be a race to how dumb Americans can be.

Hello mrsmlh..long time.

Regarding making fun. In regard to comedy IMO making fun on selected small groups  has always been a main stay. It goes way back to the 'Honey Mooners' and 'I love Lucy'. Ralph was an idiot and Lucy the ditzie red head. 'Our Gang Comedy' is another example....who can forget Buckwheat.

But in the light of political correctness...those comedy models went out of vogue (due to the womens right and black movements) so what are we left with. Well we now have our variation of Ralph...funny how it is always the over weight white guy that is the idiot or the nerds and teachers or two waitresess that are clueless.... that generally happen to be... guess what ...white.

JMTs on that .

I agree with you 1000000% about the trash on TV. Thank GOD for PBS and National Geographic. However, it is sounding like Trump may continue to dummy down the population by interferring with PBS. Guess he needs space for his come back as a reality show host after he is impeached, :D

#15 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,017 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

Where'd you read that?

#16 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

No they are... just lazy and like glamor. Engineering takes thought and is NOT glamorous by a long shot and rarely do they make the news (except for some journal no one reads) or get face time unless they royally screw up. See the Mars mission where they forgot that trajectory calculations were done in European system (meters) and the control center was thinking the English system (feet).

As an example of lazy/glamor;  I offer my niece. Very intelligent women. Graduated top of her HS class. Went to Pitt with the idea of becoming a Doctor or Bio research. She didn't find it hard to get excellent grades but found those studies 'not cool' and 'not out in the world and glamorous'.

Soooooo she switched majors to ahhhhh Communications with the idea that she could become a 'social networking maven'. She again graduated at the top of the class. And guess what.....she is still looking for a job and works as a waitress. She graduated 2 years ago...what a waste.

Edited by Guido2, 16 February 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#17 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hello mrsmlh..long time.

Regarding making fun. In regard to comedy IMO making fun on selected small groups  has always been a main stay. It goes way back to the 'Honey Mooners' and 'I love Lucy'. Ralph was an idiot and Lucy the ditzie red head. 'Our Gang Comedy' is another example....who can forget Buckwheat.

But in the light of political correctness...those comedy models went out of vogue (due to the womens right and black movements) so what are we left with. Well we now have our variation of Ralph...funny how it is always the over weight white guy that is the idiot or the nerds and teachers or two waitresess that are clueless.... that generally happen to be... guess what ...white.

JMTs on that .

I agree with you 1000000% about the trash on TV. Thank GOD for PBS and National Geographic. However, it is sounding like Trump may continue to dummy down the population by interferring with PBS. Guess he needs space for his come back as a reality show host after he is impeached, :D

Hi there, it has been a long time.  How ya doing?

It amazes me how many people (my daughter-in-law and her family for an example) love those reality tv shows and actually believe them.  I watch very little tv, usually just NCIS, NCIS NOLA, and The Big Bang Theory on network tv.  If not for PBS, National Geo and BBC, my tv wouldn't be turned on half as much as it is.

#18 WhatintheHell

WhatintheHell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

Don't you guys have any faith in the kids here?  Many of these foreign kids are pushed very hard compared to how kids are pushed here. There is more discipline at home and in the schools in foreign countries. Let the teachers and parents discipline the kids instead of government getting involved. We are making them soft. To me many seem to be more concerned about foreigners then our American people here. 

#19 WhatintheHell

WhatintheHell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi there, it has been a long time.  How ya doing?

It amazes me how many people (my daughter-in-law and her family for an example) love those reality tv shows and actually believe them.  I watch very little tv, usually just NCIS, NCIS NOLA, and The Big Bang Theory on network tv.  If not for PBS, National Geo and BBC, my tv wouldn't be turned on half as much as it is.

To much T.V. crap is the problem. 

#20 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,252 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

To much T.V. crap is the problem. 

And social network crap.

Too many kids (and many adults) have their cell phones literally glued to their hand.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users