Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ms maggie

Make America Stupid Again

99 posts in this topic

Uh.. the POTUS is a reality star. MASA...

And a fatcat 1%'er....lots of irony on the board today!

And a fatcat 1%'er....lots of irony on the board today!

Really fat.

Americans aren't smart enough to become engineers?

They are. But top talent isn't limited to the US. Were like 7% of the world's population.

Don't many of these kids also get their degrees and then return home ..???

Some, not most.

Hi there, it has been a long time.  How ya doing?

It amazes me how many people (my daughter-in-law and her family for an example) love those reality tv shows and actually believe them.  I watch very little tv, usually just NCIS, NCIS NOLA, and The Big Bang Theory on network tv.  If not for PBS, National Geo and BBC, my tv wouldn't be turned on half as much as it is.

Doing fine. I had to step back from the dog and pony show for a while. Not much has changed. No compromise.. my way or the highway. Except the language has calmed and there doesn't seem to be as many personal attacks. That a fair assessment?

So how are you?

What a great selection of shows. Exactly the same as ours. I knew we had a lot in common. :D

Edited by Guido2

Doing fine. I had to step back from the dog and pony show for a while. Not much has changed. No compromise.. my way or the highway. Except the language has calmed and there doesn't seem to be as many personal attacks. That a fair assessment?

So how are you?

What a great selection of shows. Exactly the same as ours. I knew we had a lot in common. :D

Very fair assessment of here.  Same old tripe just different user names.   :D

I'm doing great.  Got a new little granddaughter in December and couldn't be happier.

What's the matter with America's engineering programs? I thought public schools were working just fine to prepare students for engineering fields?

We should want the best talent. That means from all around the world.

Nothing is wrong with our engineering programs. Who said that?

You implied that native students cannot compete with US students.

And what mind set controls Hollywood ...???

Ahhhhh the ones that own the production companies and want to make money on the cheap?

And never forget these statements. ......

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American Public

If it bleeds it leads

Sex sells

And while we are at it. We now have a Cabinet member Linda McMahon who ran wrestling? Maybe Trump is smarter than we think ... he is playing down to his supporters. :rolleyes:

Same person who said "Americans aren't smart enough to become engineers"....nobody!

You know damn well America can't find enough American engineers to fill the positions. Students are scoring low in math and science in public schools. This is why the US has to recruit foreign engineers. 

You implied that native students cannot compete with US students.

Who are "native students" and how they different from US students? Did we not talk about reading for comprehension?

I said the best talent comes from all over the world.

Now think: would "all over the world" include the US?

Edited by ms maggie

You know damn well America can't find enough American engineers to fill the positions. Students are scoring low in math and science in public schools. This is why the US has to recruit foreign engineers.

All the more reason to oppose Trump's stupid ban.

You clearly didn't read the article.

To much T.V. crap is the problem. 

No it's not.  It's an absolute cop out to blame everything on too much TV, like TV doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.

That would be "too much TV", not "to much TV"

Just sayin'

hahahahahahahaha :D :D :D

Which students are those....ooooooohhhh.

Hmmmmm wonder what the stats would be if you threw out the low performing areas like cities what the numbers would be. Much highter and even higher if educational systems didn't insist on putting everyone (low and high) performers in the same class. Look at the stats a selective AP public schools etc. you will see some amazingly high marks.

I taught Advanced IT classes (Cisco) at such a school....talk about some sharp kids. Most were at 3rd year college easy.

But I also stand by my earlier statement. Engineering isn't glamorous AND unlike other professions upgrading ones skills on almost a daily basis is required. Something that I believe is not in the average students DNA in the US.

Edited by Guido2

All the more reason to oppose Trump's stupid ban.

You clearly didn't read the article.

All the more reason to give parents a choice where to send their kids. 

Which students are those....ooooooohhhh.

Hmmmmm wonder what the stats would be if you threw out the low performing areas like cities what the numbers would be. Much highter and even higher if educational systems didn't insist on putting everyone (low and high) performers in the same class. Look at the stats a selective AP public schools etc. you will see some amazingly high marks.

I taught Advanced IT classes (Cisco) at such a school....talk about some sharp kids. Most were at 3rd year college easy.

But I also stand by my earlier statement. Engineering isn't glamorous AND unlike other professions upgrading ones skills on almost a daily basis is required. Something that I believe is not in the average students DNA in the US.

So America's DNA has the US damned when it comes to engineers? Sorry but I don't believe that for one minute. That is too simple of a reason and gives educators a reason to give up on the students. 

All the more reason to give parents a choice where to send their kids.

What parents? The parents of foreign students?

Read the link before jumping into the conversation. This is about the dropoff in the applications of foreign students to US engineering schools.

Americans aren't smart enough to become engineers?

Smart enough, yes, but are foreign engineering students subjected to the abomination of Common Core Math?

Edited by volperdinger

Probably not, are foreign engineering students subjected to the abomination of Common Core Math?

What specifically is wrong with common core math?

So America's DNA has the US damned when it comes to engineers? Sorry but I don't believe that for one minute. That is too simple of a reason and gives educators a reason to give up on the students. 

Oh there are a lot of students that don't have that DNA that is for sure. And for the most part GOOD educators...the ones that do not just baby sit and go through the motions...DON'T GIVE UP. If anything they tried even harder to help students that show potential.

In conjunction with that...an educator (and I mean in the trenches teachers) do not get the opportunity to cherry pick the students they get. The higher up educators (so called) like Admin. are the decision makers on that one. Also, it is the students and their parents that 'decide' the students career path. Not the teachers.

So if Johnny decides math is too hard and prefers to study the arts. The math/engineering/science teachers have absolutely NO opportunity to persuade that student to apply his talents in those fields.

Again, I taught for nearly 40 years. In my last go around teaching IT at an AP school I had this incrediable student. She could look at a complex computer matrix or program and figure it out in no time. Wow what a future this young lady has and the earning capabilites associated with it.

Well she also happened to be pretty good at art too. Not computer graphics...old fashion charcoal pencils and paint. Guess what? She switched majors to art. What is the old saying about starving artists. But it didn't matter.

On a personnel level. I LOVED physical education, sports sciences and coaching. Which came easily to me. However, I and my parents realized while I was in college that career wise and financially IT was the way to go.

Sometimes one has to do things that are practical rather than feel good to succeed. When I refer to DNA I mean that now a days the reverse seems to hold true for a majority of the student population in the US.

Not trying to convince anyone....it is just my thoughts and observations.