Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EGoldstein

Kansas lawmakers decide the Brownback experiment has failed

17 posts in this topic

"Kansas legislators learned Wednesday that they might have enough bipartisan support to pass a big income tax increase to balance the state's budget, though Republican Gov. Sam Brownback said he would not sign the measure.

The GOP-controlled House gave first-round approval to a bill that would generate more than $1 billion in new revenues over two years, starting in July. It would raise income tax rates Brownback persuaded lawmakers to cut, restore a third tax bracket he had eliminated and end an exemption for more than 330,000 farmers and business owners that he championed."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article132814519.html

Who didn't see this coming, besides Brownback?

I'm surprised this hasn't earned Brownback a position in the Cabinet of the Lord of Misrule. 

We should just put a wall around Kansas and call it a great libertarian experiment. Going swell so far.

I am sure the legislators are miffed they have less play money.

Time to cut back the state government to something that can be supported by the taxes.

Brownback experiment = standard GOP supply-side economics 

Difference this time was it was on steroids so the failure was epic.

Time to cut back the state government to something that can be supported by the taxes.

Yeah that's it.  :rolleyes:

So eliminating state pass-through taxes for 150,000 businesses didn't result in significantly more hiring and investment in businesses? And then "150,000" additional "businesses" popped up and they also didn't have to pay pass-through taxes and they also didn't hire and invest in large numbers?

So surprising.

Yeah that's it.  :rolleyes:

Well, it IS the Pubbie's stated strategery...

It always gets the 'derp' vote.

Kids.... don't do drugs!

Yes, we know. We've seen what they've done to you. 

Wonder how long banks would last if they took that approach every time they were robbed?

So when are you moving there to assist in the process?  

Update:

"The Kansas Legislature has approved a big increase in personal income taxes to help balance the state budget in a move that defies Republican Gov. Sam Brownback.  Senate approved a bill Friday that would generate more than $1 billion over two years. The vote was 22-18.  Senators acted the day after the House approved the measure, so the bill goes to Brownback. He has strongly criticized the bill and said he would not sign it, but he has so far stopped short of saying specifically that he would veto it."

Reality can be a shock to the system, at least for most people.  Unfortunately for the citizens of Kansas Brownback doesn't appear to relate to reality.  

Well, people keep re-electing him and the 18 senators that voted against it.

Wonder how long banks would last if they took that approach every time they were robbed?

A bank is a for profit entity.

Government consumes money, tax payer money.