Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

How were you affected by the Day Without Immigrants protests and boycotts yesterday?

44 posts in this topic

I wasn't affected by it at all.

Nada.

Zilch.

Maybe a day wasn't long enough. They should even do it again and start with a Week Without Immigrants and extend it from there.

They should also change the name to one that's more honest, like A Day Without Undocumented Illegals.

Edited by Ode2Joy

I didn't notice anything different, but yes, they should distinguish between legal and non-legal entrants.

Aside from the TV coverage not at all. 

How about a year-long day?!

Got a letter from the staff at the hotel, ostensibly signed by the housekeeping staff, commenting upon how we all have to work together, etc.

The boycotters could be affected if enough photos were taken of them and then matched to people ICE is looking for.

I didn't even know it was happening. It wouldn't have affected daily activities in my neck of the woods anyway. The only immigrants I even know are my primary care physician, a friend that I used to work with and the crew that does my landscaping.

I'm pretty sure my PCP is a citizen now, she's been here for at least 40 years. She's from the Philippines. I see her every three months at a minimum.

My other immigrant friend is from India. He's been a citizen for about 10 years. I don't get to seen him much these days. He and his wife moved to Arizona. 

My landscaping crew is enjoying the warmth of Central America at present. They'll be heading back in late March providing Donny doesn't do something to screw that up.

I didn't notice anything different, but yes, they should distinguish between legal and non-legal entrants.

Of course they should. But the game over the years has been to change the verbiage from illegal alien, to illegal immigrant, to undocumented worker, to simply "immigrant". One must be a xenophobic racist to want to stop immigrants and/or deport them, right?

I guess Genesis and Phil Collins would have to sing "It's no fun, being an immigrant" if they perform that tune from 1984 in concert today. :P

I guess Genesis and Phil Collins would have to sing "It's no fun, being an immigrant" if they perform that tune from 1984 in concert today. :P

Just change the theme. "It's no fun, being a Branch Davidian." 

My lawn didn't get mowed.

I asked the crew working in our development ... what were they doing here today.  They looked puzzled and went back to work.  Need to work on my Spanish!

According to news, this is supposed to happen today?

Hmmm. It is more quiet around here today.

If I had wanted to patronize one of the establishments in question, I guess it would have been a minor inconvenience.  Don't know what all the hubbub is expected to accomplish.  Come here legally, you're welcomed with open arms.  Sneak in illegally, go back to where you came from.  I will say that if I wanted to eat at one of the restaurants that closed, it might make me take them off of the list of restaurants I frequent.

According to news, this is supposed to happen today?

Yesterday.

Cleaning ladies (two Hispanic ladies) for the building my company is in were not at work, so trash cans not emptied, toilet paper not refilled, toilets not cleaned, etc.  Ya know, doing work we all appreciate, but most "Americans" wouldn't consider doing.

I consider that a myth.

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

I consider that a myth.

We have a majority of Americans on the cleaning crew where I work.  I'm in a seven story building, so we have quite a few people on the team.  I can think of one, maybe two, who are immigrants.

Edited by Thirteen

illegals boycotted?

must have been a flop

Although I consider myself a true conservative Republican (maybe simply a true conservative is a better monniker), I listen to NPR quite frequently. As I live in MD but work in Philly, I tune in to WHYY (home of Fresh Air) moreso than WYPR. On Wednesday they were reporting on yesterday's boycott and were interviewing a legal immigrant from Spain (now a US citizen), who was shuttering his restaurants for the day in support of the boycott and his employees. He was quite vocal about how he felt about the subject, but when queried about whether his employees would be paid during their absence, he seemed to pause as if trying how to best answer that. His reply was basically that it was their decision to stay home, so, no pay.

So much for support!