Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

How were you affected by the Day Without Immigrants protests and boycotts yesterday?

44 posts in this topic

So how many of these places that closed yesterday are setting themselves up to be investigated for having illegals work for them ..???

Also walking around with Mexico flags don't help your cause. This isn't Mexico.

First I heard of it.

Reflecting back on my day, no, saw nothing out of ordinary.

Cleaning ladies (two Hispanic ladies) for the building my company is in were not at work, so trash cans not emptied, toilet paper not refilled, toilets not cleaned, etc.  Ya know, doing work we all appreciate, but most "Americans" wouldn't consider doing.

I would do that work gladly if I couldn't get any other job. Most Americans wouldn't? Maybe that's a lot of what's wrong with us.

How's that one going? I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary today either.

Do you think most of all the protesters at all the demonstrations even have jobs?

Maybe the folks that set this stuff don't really relate to those they are supporting as much as they think, as in, they don't get that for many pulling a no show at work means NO PAY for that day and maybe those they are supporting actually WORK for a living. And, maybe they even have the kind of work ethic that is, if they could take a paid sick day or similar for such a thing, they think they ought to actually work a day to get a day's pay.

Nope, not in the least .....

You sure it's not next week? ....

I'm sure you would.

What are your cleaning qualifications, exactly?

done it, along with many other jobs most Americans won't do. 

Worked my way through college, no student loans or grants. 

So, you're good with cleaning urinals on a daily basis? $16.50/hr good with you?

I cleaned them for Uncle Sam for a lot less than that!

OK, the business people who closed up yesterday can now feel good about themselves -"Hey, we did something to help the immigrants." and now they can get back to what they're really committed to - making money.

Every protest I saw on the news last night was full of Mexican flags ....

Seems it might have made their plight more sympathetic if they had a few American flags in there as well .....

Seems it might have made their plight more sympathetic if they had a few American flags in there as well .....

Many of them believe a good portion of this country should belong to Mexico. Maybe that is why some feel entitled to be here.

Edited by Smokey 1

OK, the business people who closed up yesterday can now feel good about themselves -"Hey, we did something to help the immigrants." and now they can get back to what they're really committed to - making money.

And paying illegals less to work for them ......

That's one of my   ̶p̶e̶t̶ major peeves.  :angry:

Many of them believe a good portion of this country should belong to Mexico. Maybe that is why some feel entitled to be here.

And also why many of them"claim" offense to the term "illegals", or dance around the issue when called out for violating US immigration law.

Not to mention their lack of desire to become US citizens.

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

There was a strike?  

Some after effects of the protest.

Dozens of protesters across the country were fired from their jobs after skipping work to take part in last week's "Day Without Immigrants" demonstration.

Restaurants and day cares were among the businesses in states like Florida, Tennessee, Oklahoma and New York where bosses fired workers after they didn't show up for work in order to protest.

In Nolensville, Tennessee, nearly 20 employees at Bradley Coatings, Incorporated — a commercial painting company — were laid off after participating in the nationwide strike on Thursday, NBC4 reported.

The company's attorney, Robert Peal, said in a statement obtained by the news station that all employees were told they risked termination if they skipped work on Thursday, but 18 did so anyway.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/employees-across-u-s-fired-after-joining-day-without-immigrants-n722991

So, you're good with cleaning urinals on a daily basis? $16.50/hr good with you?

$16.50 Vs. $0.00 ?   I'll give you the cleanest toilets around. I've already done that job for $3.15 an hour, and if it were my only option, yes, it's good with me.

I likely won't remain in that position long,  but employment is employment.

And the people that got fired earned it.  Pretty stupid to walk out without clearing it first. That mentality will surely tie you to a low wage existence. 

I'm sure you would.

What are your cleaning qualifications, exactly?

It pays more than $15/hr....and yes, not many Americans do this kind of work, for the money it pays.

Ive worked maintenance work as a first job when I was 14 and continue to this day to do it part time as a 2nd job for "play money" (20+yrs)  I have a masters degree and a good job with the government. I have no reason to be cleaning toilets other than the pay is decent for the work put in. Its how you get ahead in life.