#1 Norman

Norman

Sweden, who would believe this, Sweden!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,617 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:01 AM

Very surprised this topic hasn't come up yet, given the frequency it appeared in the past.

Trump family’s elaborate lifestyle is a ‘logistical nightmare’ — at taxpayer expense

On Friday, President Trump and his entourage will jet for the third straight weekend to a working getaway at his oceanfront Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Fla.  On Saturday, Trump’s sons Eric and Don Jr., with their Secret Service details in tow, will be nearly 8,000 miles away in the United Arab Emirates, attending the grand opening of a Trump-brand golf resort in the “Beverly Hills of Dubai.”  Meanwhile, New York police will keep watch outside Trump Tower in Manhattan, the chosen home of first lady Melania Trump and son Barron. And the tiny township of Bedminster, N.J., is preparing for the daunting prospect that the local Trump golf course will serve as a sort of northern White House for as many as 10 weekends a year.  Barely a month into the Trump presidency, the unusually elaborate lifestyle of America’s new first family is straining the Secret Service and security officials, stirring financial and logistical concerns in several local communities, and costing far beyond what has been typical for past presidents — a price tag that, based on past assessments of presidential travel and security costs, could balloon into the hundreds of millions of dollars over the course of a four-year term.

Trump’s three Mar-a-Lago trips since the inauguration have probably cost the federal treasury about $10 million, based on figures used in an October government report analyzing White House travel, including money for Coast Guard units to patrol the exposed shoreline and other military, security and staffing expenses associated with moving the apparatus of the presidency.  Palm Beach County officials plan to ask Washington to reimburse tens of thousands of dollars a day in expenses for deputies handling added security and traffic issues around the cramped Florida island whenever Trump is in town.  In New York, the city is paying $500,000 a day to guard Trump Tower, according to police officials’ estimates, an amount that could reach $183 million a year.  This month, The Post reported that Secret Service and U.S. embassy staffers paid nearly $100,000 in hotel-room bills to support Eric Trump’s trip to promote a Trump-brand condo tower in Uruguay.

Then there's this bit:

For Trump, the costs come with an additional perk: Some of the money flows into his own pocket. While Trump has removed himself from managing his company, he has refused to divest his ownership, meaning that he benefits from corporate successes such as government contracts.  The Defense Department and Secret Service, for instance, have sought to rent space in Trump Tower, where leasing a floor can cost $1.5 million a year — though neither agency has disclosed any details. In addition, Trump’s travel to his signature properties while trailed by a press corps beaming images to the world allows the official business of the presidency to double as marketing opportunities for his brand.

https://www.washingt...m=.1c9e30b742a5

#2 FourTwenty

FourTwenty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Slimy grifters.

#3 Chesapeake Spirit

Chesapeake Spirit

King of the Neanderthals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

His acolytes either "just don't care" or are too stupid to see the cost to the taxpayers and conflicts of interest.  Based on everything I've seen, I'll go with the latter.

Edited by Chesapeake Spirit, 17 February 2017 - 10:10 AM.

Panem et Circenses :rolleyes:

#4 FourTwenty

FourTwenty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hi acolytes either "just don't care" or are too stupid to see the cost to the taxpayers and conflicts of interest.  Based on everything I've seen, I'll go with the latter.

Definitely the latter. Their quark-sized brains just aren't capable of realizing that they are being played. 

#5 michiganjoe

michiganjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

Seems as though conservatives are no longer interested in presidential vacations, golfing and the associated costs for some reason. Any idea what the reason could be?

#6 gonzoliberal

gonzoliberal

Higher Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,318 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

IAOKIYDT...

"Everything's coming along quite nicely..."

#7 Norman

Norman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,617 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

Seems as though conservatives are no longer interested in presidential vacations, golfing and the associated costs for some reason. Any idea what the reason could be?

It seems like they're blowing away any previous costs.  

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,711 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

It seems like they're blowing away any previous costs.  

No way. Don't you remember Obama's trip to India that cost $200,000,000 a day?  I think it was a Shadow thread.  ;)

#9 Marshan Man

Marshan Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,363 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

So??! The Obamas had like 10 turkeys and 20 pies for Thanksgiving once...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]America Is Back! :rwb:

#10 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

Moonset at the Badlands SD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

I suppose for the same reason Liberals/Democrats weren't concerned about them before. Partisanship.

Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#11 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

I suppose for the same reason Liberals/Democrats weren't concerned about them before. Partisanship.

I wasn't here when Bush was president so maybe someone else can tell me.  Were the Liberals/Democrats/lefties whining & crying constantly about Bush spending millions of dollars taking vacations like the Conservatives/Republicans/righties did here for the years of Obama?

#12 Norman

Norman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,617 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

I wasn't here when Bush was president so maybe someone else can tell me.  Were the Liberals/Democrats/lefties whining & crying constantly about Bush spending millions of dollars taking vacations like the Conservatives/Republicans/righties did here for the years of Obama?

I remember plenty of talk about the amount of time, say at his ranch, but not as much about the cost.  It seems that the Trump lifestyle is very different.

#13 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

Moonset at the Badlands SD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

I have to agree with Norman. It was mostly time at the ranch while George H W Bush was President not the cost. As I said it is, IMO, partisanship to complain about such things. Conservatives/Reps complained about the Hawaii vacations, separate planes, etc when the Obamas went on vacation and the Liberals/Dems will complain about whatever costs are incurred by the Trumps.

I was in Key West a few weeks ago and we walked by the "Little White House" of Harry Truman's Presidency. I have no doubt some complained about that. People being flown to Key West for meetings and such.

https://www.trumanli...whitehouse.com/

The eleven trips of President Harry S. Truman were recorded in official trip logs. Often regarded as mere souvenirs for family and staff, a more careful reading reveal clues as to the working of the president in Key West. There are numerous mentions of key staff, both political and military, flying into Key West to meet with President Harry S. Truman. What they did and what was said are not revealed in the logs as the details may have been classified at the time. These presidential logs provide starting points for more detailed research for the serious student and provide personal insight into the life of the president on vacation for the causual reader.

Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#14 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,353 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

IAOKIYDT...

"Everything's coming along quite nicely..."

Like a Fine Tuned Machine
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#15 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,353 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

I'm old enough to remember when "conservatives" complained about Michelle's mom living in the White House and Michelle taking the children on trips without Barack.

Now they're silent as Melania stays in NYC and Trump's kids travel around the world with a Secret Service detail while promoting the family business...

Edited by soulflower, 17 February 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#16 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,997 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

Very surprised this topic hasn't come up yet, given the frequency it appeared in the past.

Trump family’s elaborate lifestyle is a ‘logistical nightmare’ — at taxpayer expense

Then there's this bit:

https://www.washingt...m=.1c9e30b742a5

But the fact that Obama's traveling lifestyle was more extravagant than the entire extended Royal Family was never an issue.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#17 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,614 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

But the fact that Obama's traveling lifestyle was more extravagant than the entire extended Royal Family was never an issue.  

You elected Nero. Live with it. 

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#18 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,997 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

You elected Nero. Live with it. 

I am fully prepared to live with a president that declines his own salary, while trying to fix the disaster of the last 8 years.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#19 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,909 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

I'm old enough to remember when "conservatives" complained about Michelle's mom living in the White House and Michelle taking the children on trips without Barack.
Now they're silent as Melania stays in NYC and Trump's kids travel around the world with a Secret Service detail while promoting the family business...

Here's a trip down memory lane. http://talk.baltimor...at-white-house/
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#20 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,353 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

I am fully prepared to live with a president that declines his own salary, while trying to fix the disaster of the last 8 years.

As if he's not benefiting from US and foreign officials staying at his hotels or renting space in his office buildings.

Trump will likely leave the White House wealthier than before he became POTUS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users