112 replies to this topic

#21 TripleM

TripleM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

I am fully prepared to live with a president that declines his own salary, while trying to fix the disaster of the last 8 years.  

The presidential salary is a pittance compared to the EXTRA hundreds of millions that the Trump entourage security is going to cost you and me over the next four years. 

I think it's stupid to quibble about the fact that presidents have families, and they take vacations, and that that costs us dough because they need to be protected even when they are not in the White House.  I never begrudged Bush his trips to his ranch. 

But as the article points out (had you bothered to read it) the Trump situation is many orders of magnitude outside the parameters of normal when it comes to such protection.  I'm not sure we've ever had such a situation . . . three adult children who globe-trot for the purpose of using the family (now publicly-owned, by the people of America) name to drum up more dollar bills for their pockets, all while billing the American people for the costs of protecting them while they do it.

#22 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,279 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

The presidential salary is a pittance compared to the EXTRA hundreds of millions that the Trump entourage security is going to cost you and me over the next four years. 

I think it's stupid to quibble about the fact that presidents have families, and they take vacations, and that that costs us dough because they need to be protected even when they are not in the White House.  I never begrudged Bush his trips to his ranch. 

But as the article points out (had you bothered to read it) the Trump situation is many orders of magnitude outside the parameters of normal when it comes to such protection.  I'm not sure we've ever had such a situation . . . three adult children who globe-trot for the purpose of using the family (now publicly-owned, by the people of America) name to drum up more dollar bills for their pockets, all while billing the American people for the costs of protecting them while they do it.

We elected someone with a larger family than most.  It will cost more to protect them.  However, he seems to be inclined to "vacation" at places he owns rather than visiting exotic locations at taxpayer expense.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#23 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,536 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

http://talk.baltimor...st-grandmother/
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#24 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,017 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

And the bonus is that much of that is going to Trump himself.    :D   Suckers

#25 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,087 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:46 PM

We elected someone with a larger family than most.  It will cost more to protect them.  However, he seems to be inclined to "vacation" at places he owns rather than visiting exotic locations at taxpayer expense.  

You don't think taxpayers are spending money for stays at Trump Tower and Mar a lago?  :lol:

#26 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,766 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

The biggest chunk of change is tricking out Park Ave like a TSA airport nightmare for Melonia and Baron Von Trump then sending the bill to the City.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#27 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,279 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

You don't think taxpayers are spending money for stays at Trump Tower and Mar a lago?  :lol:

Please provide documentation.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Richard M. Nixon

Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Eric Hoffer

#28 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,328 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

Please provide documentation.

Read the article
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#29 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,017 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Read the article

You're asking a lot!

#30 luthersomd

luthersomd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

No way. Don't you remember Obama's trip to India that cost $200,000,000 a day?  I think it was a Shadow thread.  ;)

Started by Michelle Bachman.

#31 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,279 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

As if he's not benefiting from US and foreign officials staying at his hotels or renting space in his office buildings.

Trump will likely leave the White House wealthier than before he became POTUS

Let's see, the Clinton's claimed to be completely broke and now they are multimillionaires.  

Will you be a bad person if 4 years from now you are a little better off?  I can see why you voted for Hillary just to make you a more virtuous and poorer person.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Richard M. Nixon

Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Eric Hoffer

#32 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,328 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

Let's see, the Clinton's claimed to be completely broke and now they are multimillionaires.

Pretty much everyone who serves as President is wealthier after leaving office. Being an ex-President can be lucrative. Which is why the President's salary doesn't matter.

It's silly though how some think Trump is doing this for charity and that he is in no way benefiting financially from his new job.

Will you be a bad person if 4 years from now you are a little better off? I can see why you voted for Hillary just to make you a more virtuous and poorer person.

I'm better off today than I was 8 years ago.

If I'm better off in 4 years it will because of my own hard work, not Trump...

Edited by soulflower, 17 February 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#33 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,279 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

Pretty much everyone who serves as President is wealthier after leaving office. Being an ex-President can be lucrative. Which is why the President's salary doesn't matter.

It's silly though how some think Trump is doing this for charity and that he is in no way benefiting financially from his new job.

I'm better off today than I was 8 years ago.

If I'm better off in 4 years it will because of my own hard work, not Trump...

So after eschewing salary for his elected office for four years he ends up a little better off makes him a bad guy?  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Richard M. Nixon

Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Eric Hoffer

#34 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

I have to agree with Norman. It was mostly time at the ranch while George H W Bush was President not the cost. As I said it is, IMO, partisanship to complain about such things. Conservatives/Reps complained about the Hawaii vacations, separate planes, etc when the Obamas went on vacation and the Liberals/Dems will complain about whatever costs are incurred by the Trumps.

I was in Key West a few weeks ago and we walked by the "Little White House" of Harry Truman's Presidency. I have no doubt some complained about that. People being flown to Key West for meetings and such.

https://www.trumanli...whitehouse.com/

I will be on record in saying that the country will be better off the more time Orange spends on vacation.

#35 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,766 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

I will be on record in saying that the country will be better off the more time Orange spends on vacation.

I'll be on record in saying we will be better off when Manchild is mowing some golf course in an orange jump suit.

#36 retired

retired

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

Is this anything like the incessant Obama vacations, Cape Cod, Hawaii? Trips for Michelle, the girls and grandma? Remember, Trump is not taking a salary and he started as a millionaire while Obama who started relatively poor and left as a multi-millionaire.

#37 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:27 PM

Protecting the president isn't easy or cheap, and according to estimates from The Washington Post, the cost to protect President Donald Trump and his family is on track to supersede what it cost to protect former President Barack Obama and his family by hundreds of millions of dollars.

http://finance.yahoo...-062440454.html

Supersede the cost of protecting Obama by HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!

It's good to be king.

Total waste of taxpayer dollars.

#38 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,328 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:36 PM

It's okay because Trump waived his salary.

Nevermind the fact that NYC spends more per day on Trump's security than the annual salary for a President

#39 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,766 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

It's okay because Trump waived his salary.

Nevermind the fact that NYC spends more per day on Trump's security than the annual salary for a President

LOL  Not to make too fine of a point G Washington also relinquished his salary and ended up practically breaking the Treasury in expenses.  

Edited by zenwalk, 17 February 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#40 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

Making America great again is expensive! Taxpayers should spare no cost. Trump need not worry, he pays no taxes, so the money is no object to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users