Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grggngll

Here is why American families are feeling extreme financial stress

10 posts in this topic

When the cost of living rises faster than paychecks do year after year, eventually that becomes a very big problem. For quite some time I have been writing about the shrinking middle class, and one of the biggest culprits is inflation. Every month, tens of millions of American families struggle to pay the bills, and most of them don’t even understand the economic forces that are putting so much pressure on them. The United States never had a persistent, ongoing problem with inflation until the debt-based Federal Reserve system was introduced in 1913. Since that time, we have had non-stop inflation and the U.S. dollar has lost more than 98 percent of its value. If our paychecks were increasing faster than inflation this wouldn’t be a problem, but in recent years this has definitely not been the case for most Americans.

That is because food prices have been rising aggressively for many years. The following is a list that was posted on The Economic Policy Journal that shows how much some food and grocery items have increased over the past decade…

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-17/heres-why-so-many-american-families-are-feeling-extreme-financial-stress

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

I can buy Everything on your list, good quality, for a non stressful price from 3 nearby food sources.

What on Your list is causing You stress?

That's what I thought.

:D

Garbage piece. Inflation is and has been historically low; issue has been stagnant wages.

Garbage piece. Inflation is and has been historically low; issue has been stagnant wages.

But isn't that what inflation is, prices rising higher than wages? If the price of goods have risen this much without the complimentary rise of wages imagine how much higher the cost of goods would be if wages had kept pace with the rise of goods. 

Tariffs will bring those prices down right?

Border adjustments, man. Way better.

But isn't that what inflation is, prices rising higher than wages? 

His argument is that inflation of goods is the issue; the issue is wage inflation is lagging.

The inflation index (based on the consumer price index) for the US, hasn't been this low since the early 60's. With a CPI hovering at, or below 2% during most of Obama's Administration.

http://www.inflation.eu/inflation-rates/united-states/historic-inflation/cpi-inflation-united-states.aspx

Which has been annoying me recently. With my investment and debt positions I'd like to see higher inflation.