Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROUSEMAN

Hardy hurt again

36 posts in this topic

More back spasms for the last couple weeks.  This is definitely his last year in Baltimore.  No way he gets those 600 PAs to get the 2018 option to kick in.  Perfect excuse now to rest him once or twice a week if he makes it back.

I do hope he makes it back for opening day.  We are a better team when he is healthy and playing.  What I don't want is what we saw in 2015 where he floundered around all year with an injury and was basically useless at the plate.

More back spasms for the last couple weeks.  This is definitely his last year in Baltimore.  No way he gets those 600 PAs to get the 2018 option to kick in.  Perfect excuse now to rest him once or twice a week if he makes it back.

I do hope he makes it back for opening day.  We are a better team when he is healthy and playing.  What I don't want is what we saw in 2015 where he floundered around all year with an injury and was basically useless at the plate.

It is a catch 22. Having an unproductive Hardy getto 600 AB's hurts the team, but Buck's backup plan is Ryan Flaherty.

It is a catch 22. Having an unproductive Hardy getto 600 AB's hurts the team, but Buck's backup plan is Ryan Flaherty.

Yeah I agree.  But now it makes sense why DD has signed 3 infielders the last couple weeks that have ML experience.  He knew Hardy's back was hosed.  If you have had spasms for a couple weeks, there is something definitely wrong.  Hello Flash and Chris Johnson platooning at third.  Tingles.

I wish Schoop could play a decent third base.  Gioveltella would be ok at second as a fill in.  Schoops bat and skill set project better at third than at second.  But I think he was a butcher at third when he played there before.

.295 RISP

.278 RISP W2OUTS

.375 bases loaded

Thats some pretty good floundering

I'm talking 2015.  Didn't he hit a weak .215 that year with a dreadful OBP???? And zero power.

Yeah I agree.  But now it makes sense why DD has signed 3 infielders the last couple weeks that have ML experience.  He knew Hardy's back was hosed.  If you have had spasms for a couple weeks, there is something definitely wrong.  Hello Flash and Chris Johnson platooning at third.  Tingles.

I wish Schoop could play a decent third base.  Gioveltella would be ok at second as a fill in.  Schoops bat and skill set project better at third than at second.  But I think he was a butcher at third when he played there before.

Especially when you have back issues... in the off season. 

.295 RISP

.278 RISP W2OUTS

.375 bases loaded

Thats some pretty good floundering

While this post was off base on what I said about 2015, its still a good one.  Because it shows how solid Hardy was with the bat last year.  Yeah his OBP still wasn't great,  but he had a good year at the plate.  And he is still very good with the glove.  Point being we need him to play 120-130 games at SS to compete this year. Having to play Flash and Johnson at third for a long stretch  while Manny shifts to SS won't get it done, IMO.

Yeah I agree. But now it makes sense why DD has signed 3 infielders the last couple weeks that have ML experience. He knew Hardy's back was hosed.

Lol. ?????

You're giving Big Dan credit?

Hahaha, he had Gallardo, Jiminez and Miley on his "pitching staff" (easily the worst in MLB) & he failed to trade Wieters when he had any value. The guy is a joke and an embarassment.

Lol. ?????

Hahaha, he had Gallardo, Jiminez and Miley on his "pitching staff" (easily the worst in MLB) & he failed to trade Wieters when he had any value. The guy is a joke and an embarassment.

No credit given for signing three mediocre guys.  Just a statement on why he did it.  Seemed curious at time why sign all these older guys to hog up time at AAA.

What value he is still out there

He's about as valuable as this post

We'll see if Hardy can actually play even with a clean MRI.  Last time the O's said he wasn't really hurt was spring of 2015.  And he missed 2 months or so and was worthless when he came back.  This situation is still wait and see.

No credit given for signing three mediocre guys.  Just a statement on why he did it.  Seemed curious at time why sign all these older guys to hog up time at AAA.

Lol. ?????

Actually DD should be criticized for not having any viable infield replacements in the system already.  I may be wrong, but AA/AAA seems barren of middle infield prospects that could step in and play.

We'll see if Hardy can actually play even with a clean MRI. Last time the O's said he wasn't really hurt was spring of 2015. And he missed 2 months or so and was worthless when he came back. This situation is still wait and see.

I fear Flaherty will get the call at third with Machado at short.

Why is Flaherty still on the team.

He's a super utility player, which is actually a rare thing. He's not much of a hitter, we all know that. And if he was, he wouldn't be a back up, he'd be a starter somewhere. I value RF for what he gives the team. But he isn't a long term replacement for anyone. 

Why is Flaherty still on the team.

I used to be quite anti-Flaherty, but I've changed.

He can't hit well, but the guy has played seven positions (all but CF & C) off the bench in his career.  That's a good guy to have around. 

As long as he's not out there every day for extended periods, he is actually an asset.

I used to be quite anti-Flaherty, but I've changed.

He can't hit well, but the guy has played seven positions (all but CF & C) off the bench in his career.  That's a good guy to have around. 

As long as he's not out there every day for extended periods, he is actually an asset.

He's the "in case of emergency" catcher too.  

I never like putting an easy out in the line up.

I'm sure all 30 managers hold this same opinion. Consider this, some managers have easy outs as one or more of their starting players. Super utility guys free up roster spots, because they can do the work of 3-4 players. 

I never like putting an easy out in the line up.

See Showalters Sunday lineups all season long for some easy outs

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Has there been any updates at all on Hardy.  Crickets.

Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy, who has been rehabbing a sore lower back for the past five weeks, said on Monday that he's pain-free and getting close to playing in his first exhibition game.

Hardy said his activities are almost entirely unrestricted and it's more a matter of getting into game shape than getting past the injury.

“Pretty much [doing] everything but fielding ground balls,'' he said. "I think I’m going to swing today. Pretty much just building up baseball activities now. My back feels fine. It’s basically I haven’t done anything for five weeks, so everything I did this offseason has been kind of washed out, so I’m just getting back into shape.”

He was originally projected by manager Buck Showalter to make his first Grapefruit League appearance by March 10. Hardy said that's possible but expects his exhibition debut to be a few days later than that.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-j-j-hardy-says-back-feels-good-and-he-should-be-playing-soon-20170306-story.html