Hardy hurt again

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

I used to be quite anti-Flaherty, but I've changed.

He can't hit well, but the guy has played seven positions (all but CF & C) off the bench in his career.  That's a good guy to have around. 

As long as he's not out there every day for extended periods, he is actually an asset.

He's the "in case of emergency" catcher too.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#22 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

I never like putting an easy out in the line up.

I'm sure all 30 managers hold this same opinion. Consider this, some managers have easy outs as one or more of their starting players. Super utility guys free up roster spots, because they can do the work of 3-4 players. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#23 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

I never like putting an easy out in the line up.

See Showalters Sunday lineups all season long for some easy outs

Edited by BayAreaBmore, 03 March 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#24 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Has there been any updates at all on Hardy.  Crickets.

#25 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Has there been any updates at all on Hardy.  Crickets.

Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy, who has been rehabbing a sore lower back for the past five weeks, said on Monday that he's pain-free and getting close to playing in his first exhibition game.

Hardy said his activities are almost entirely unrestricted and it's more a matter of getting into game shape than getting past the injury.

“Pretty much [doing] everything but fielding ground balls,'' he said. "I think I’m going to swing today. Pretty much just building up baseball activities now. My back feels fine. It’s basically I haven’t done anything for five weeks, so everything I did this offseason has been kind of washed out, so I’m just getting back into shape.”

He was originally projected by manager Buck Showalter to make his first Grapefruit League appearance by March 10. Hardy said that's possible but expects his exhibition debut to be a few days later than that.

http://www.baltimore...0306-story.html

#26 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Personally I hope they take their time with that.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#27 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Personally I hope they take their time with that.

Yeah but not too much time. We don't need Flaherty getting any more AB's besides the ones that are absolutely necessary...which should be zero.

Edited by Pickle20, 06 March 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#28 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

I don't think Flaherty wrecks the team's chances if he has to hit for the first week or two of the season. The alternative is if Hardy is rushed back, reinjures his back and we have Flaherty hitting more than one or two weeks.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#29 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

I don't think Flaherty wrecks the team's chances if he has to hit for the first week or two of the season. The alternative is if Hardy is rushed back, reinjures his back and we have Flaherty hitting more than one or two weeks.

Yeah we have won before short term with Flash in line up. Emphasis on short term. If Hardy starts season on DL, I think you will see either Chris Johnson or Andino splitting time with Flash.  It depends on where Buck wants to play Manny short term - short or third.  I think its fair to say Flash is not much of an option at SS anymore.  Emergency only.  I don't think he has the range to be effective.  Johnson is only a third baseman.  Andino can play short and I almost forgot about Janish.  There are a lot of options for Buck to play with other than just Flash.

#30 russsnyder

russsnyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

Yeah we have won before short term with Flash in line up. Emphasis on short term. If Hardy starts season on DL, I think you will see either Chris Johnson or Andino splitting time with Flash.  It depends on where Buck wants to play Manny short term - short or third.  I think its fair to say Flash is not much of an option at SS anymore.  Emergency only.  I don't think he has the range to be effective.  Johnson is only a third baseman.  Andino can play short and I almost forgot about Janish.  There are a lot of options for Buck to play with other than just Flash.

I agree, I think that his lack of range at short would be exposed by trotting him out there for a couple of weeks. I think that if Hardy starts the season on the DL Manny will be at shortstop. Buck was using him in ST games there before He left for the WBC. I think Janish or Andino make the team as Hardy's replacement if this happens. They can both play shortstop ( Janish especially) more effectively than Flaherty. I don't think Johnson's glove is good enough to supplant Flaherty from playing third in this scenario.

#31 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Yeah we have won before short term with Flash in line up. Emphasis on short term. If Hardy starts season on DL, I think you will see either Chris Johnson or Andino splitting time with Flash. It depends on where Buck wants to play Manny short term - short or third. I think its fair to say Flash is not much of an option at SS anymore. Emergency only. I don't think he has the range to be effective. Johnson is only a third baseman. Andino can play short and I almost forgot about Janish. There are a lot of options for Buck to play with other than just Flash.

To me, there's no question. Manny will be at SS. The question is, where does everyone else go?
There is a chance, imo, they could potentially look at putting one of the Chris's over there, then put Trumbo or Mancini at 1st. Then they could keep people on the big club and get a real look at Mancini.

Flaherty needs to stay on the bench.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#32 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Flaherty needs to go to the beer leagues.

He stinks.

#33 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

Flaherty needs to go to the beer leagues.

He stinks.

LOL!!!!   With no TJ, Reimold or Matusz,  Flash is one of Buck's last favs.  He isn't going anywhere. 

#34 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,849 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

LOL!!!!   With no TJ, Reimold or Matusz,  Flash is one of Buck's last favs.  He isn't going anywhere. 

TJ and Reimold will be back, just give it time.

#35 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

TJ and Reimold will be back, just give it time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

#36 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

See Showalters Sunday lineups all season long for some easy outs

Trembley's Sunday lineups were the worst!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users