Christian Walker, DFA'd

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

They had to make room for LH relief pitcher Richard Bleier. Walker has continually dropped down the list of the O's top prospects. 

http://www.baltimore...0221-story.html

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

Couldn't hack it at AAA although Harbor Park is a beast so it hurts numbers. Still, he should pass through waivers and if he doesn't, no big loss.

Edited by Pickle20, 23 February 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#3 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:25 AM

Couldn't hack it at AAA although Harbor Park is a beats so it hurts numbers. Still, he should pass through waivers and if he doesn't, no big loss.

Mancini made Walker expendable. Along with long term deals for Davis and Trumbs.  Agree no big deal to lose him.  It will be interesting to see if he has any value out there on waivers or a trade.  Doubt it.  we always over value mediocre prospects.

#4 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:32 AM

This Bleier move should be another good one for DD depending on the PTBNL.  DD continues to poach pitching depth off the back end of other teams 40 man rosters.  Most teams are set at this time of year with their 40 man and when someone becomes available as DFA , DD is there to pounce.  I think this kid was available because the yanks signed Chris Carter and had to clear a 40 man spot.  No big deal then when we DFA scrubeenies like TJ, Pena and Walker to clear room.  Smart time of year to be making these moves.  Limited competition.  DD has poached Verrett, Ynoa, Nuno and Bleier for a little bit of nothing.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

DD has poached Verrett, Ynoa, Nuno and Bleier for a little bit of nothing.

Looking at the numbers , there's really nothing special there though. Not that they can't help.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#6 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

Looking at the numbers , there's really nothing special there though. Not that they can't help.

I agree that these guys may turn out to be he next Despagne from last year. But for what he gave up, it doesn't hurt to bring these guys in.  This is DDs specialty.  That's how we ended up with Brad Brach.  And given that our pitching depth consisted of Wright, Wilson, Gunkle, TJ, and Jed Bradley, he had to do something. 

#7 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

Well if they had good numbers, they wouldn't be available for nothing.

You have to go off of scouting reports to pick up these kinds of guys. And while I've never been one to think the O's have good scouts, they have been able to get something out of nothing more time than not, seems like.

Edited by Pickle20, 23 February 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#8 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

I thought Walker was one of the O's big prospects. Some Farm System this team has.

Edited by BayAreaBmore, 23 February 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

I thought Walker was one of the O's big prospects. Some Farm System this team has.

You mean the one that produced Weiters, Machado, Britton, and Schoop? How horrible <_<

Edited by bmore_ken, 23 February 2017 - 12:37 PM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

He just doesn't seem to have what it takes. You know your stock has fallen, when you're DFA'd so the team can bring in a 29 yr old rookie, middle reliever who was DFA'd the day before you were. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

You mean the one that produced Weiters, Machado, Britton, and Schoop? How horrible <_<

Haha this is true but I was speaking more in the present. Don't see much of talent a pipeline coming through the ranks

Edited by BayAreaBmore, 23 February 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#12 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Haha this is true but I was speaking more in the present. Don't see much of talent a pipeline coming through the ranks

Rule 5 guys coming through and poaches like Ynoa.  :lol: Yeah the pipeline is kind of dry.

#13 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

Rule 5 guys coming through and poaches like Ynoa. :lol: Yeah the pipeline is kind of dry.

Just wish there was an exciting young outfield prospect or a pitcher or something to add to this veteran squad. Seems strange there's nothing in the pipeline

#14 dshawg1

dshawg1

Let's Go O's!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

Any updates on Walker?

Coed Flag Football, Basketball, Dodgeball, Softball, Kickball & More!
http://www.PlayBaltimore.com

Free Real Estate/Financial Tips:
www.FinancialHangout.com

#15 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,947 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

Any updates on Walker?

Think he became a texas ranger
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#16 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

The Braves have claimed 1B/OF Christian Walker from the Orioles, the Orioles have announced. The O’s designated Walker for assignment last week when they acquired Richard Bleier from the Yankees.

Walker was once a well-regarded prospect in the Orioles’ system, winning the team’s minor league player of the year award after a strong 2014 season spent mostly at Double-A Bowie. He has since struggled to get much traction at Triple-A Norfolk, however, batting a decent but modest .264/.321/.437 there last season. Walker had little chance at a roster spot with the Orioles once the team re-signed Mark Trumbo this offseason.

Walker does, however, have an option remaining, and he’s relatively young, at 25. While his Triple-A numbers haven’t been impressive, they also haven’t been horrific, so it seems possible he could yet emerge as a viable big-leaguer with a bit of improvement. If he does, his ability to play both first base and left field should give the Braves or some other organization at least a couple ways to use him. The Braves, of course, have Freddie Freeman at first, but it’s possible to see Walker helping the team out as a backup and in the outfield (where he could potentially serve as a right-handed caddy for Nick Markakis) at some point this season.

IMO - If he has a good spring he could make the team. 

#17 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

I don't understand this. Couldn't they have traded this kid for something? Why outright DFA him. Seems like a huge waste of what was supposed to be a decent prospect.

#18 dshawg1

dshawg1

Let's Go O's!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

I don't get why Logan Ondrusek was kept over Walker.
Coed Flag Football, Basketball, Dodgeball, Softball, Kickball & More!
http://www.PlayBaltimore.com

Free Real Estate/Financial Tips:
www.FinancialHangout.com

#19 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

I don't get why Logan Ondrusek was kept over Walker.

I agree. I haven't followed any of this so have no clue what's going on or why they just threw away what was supposed to be a top prospect. I bet Walker turns out to be a decent Major Leaguer

#20 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:41 AM

I agree. I haven't followed any of this so have no clue what's going on or why they just threw away what was supposed to be a top prospect. I bet Walker turns out to be a decent Major Leaguer

Perhaps, but his track record as of now says no.

He's an adequate first baseman at best, and though I haven't seen him in the outfield, I'm guessing he's below average. Walker also isn't fast and doesn't have much of an arm, which means even in the outfield, the only possible spot might be leftfield. He can "play" two positions, but so can guys like Pedro Alvarez, who is still looking for work. Walker was going to have to make the majors largely on his bat, and that wasn't anything terribly special at AAA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users