• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

Perhaps, but his track record as of now says no.

He's an adequate first baseman at best, and though I haven't seen him in the outfield, I'm guessing he's below average. Walker also isn't fast and doesn't have much of an arm, which means even in the outfield, the only possible spot might be leftfield. He can "play" two positions, but so can guys like Pedro Alvarez, who is still looking for work. Walker was going to have to make the majors largely on his bat, and that wasn't anything terribly special at AAA.

This is probably true, but Walker may get a shot as a back up first baseman/DH somewhere in the bigs. Playing LF last year may have hurt his batting.  He was a solid stick the year before in AAA.

#22 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

The Braves have claimed 1B/OF Christian Walker from the Orioles, the Orioles have announced. The O’s designated Walker for assignment last week when they acquired Richard Bleier from the Yankees.

Walker was once a well-regarded prospect in the Orioles’ system, winning the team’s minor league player of the year award after a strong 2014 season spent mostly at Double-A Bowie. He has since struggled to get much traction at Triple-A Norfolk, however, batting a decent but modest .264/.321/.437 there last season. Walker had little chance at a roster spot with the Orioles once the team re-signed Mark Trumbo this offseason.

Walker does, however, have an option remaining, and he’s relatively young, at 25. While his Triple-A numbers haven’t been impressive, they also haven’t been horrific, so it seems possible he could yet emerge as a viable big-leaguer with a bit of improvement. If he does, his ability to play both first base and left field should give the Braves or some other organization at least a couple ways to use him. The Braves, of course, have Freddie Freeman at first, but it’s possible to see Walker helping the team out as a backup and in the outfield (where he could potentially serve as a right-handed caddy for Nick Markakis) at some point this season.

IMO - If he has a good spring he could make the team. 

I missed this post.  Yeah really is hard to believe Walker fell this fast and far.  They kept duds like Gunkle and Bridwell over him.  You would of thought they could of gotten at least a low level minor leaguer for him.  All that being said, he had zero future in Baltimore.

#23 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

Perhaps, but his track record as of now says no.

He's an adequate first baseman at best, and though I haven't seen him in the outfield, I'm guessing he's below average. Walker also isn't fast and doesn't have much of an arm, which means even in the outfield, the only possible spot might be leftfield. He can "play" two positions, but so can guys like Pedro Alvarez, who is still looking for work. Walker was going to have to make the majors largely on his bat, and that wasn't anything terribly special at AAA.

Appreciate the post. I guess I didn't realize he was lacking in so many areas. Doesn't sound like much of an outfield prospect and he certainly didn't have much of a future In Baltimore with Davis locked in at 1B

#24 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

Appreciate the post. I guess I didn't realize he was lacking in so many areas. Doesn't sound like much of an outfield prospect and he certainly didn't have much of a future In Baltimore with Davis locked in at 1B

You're right about first base. Once the Orioles resigned Davis--and with Mancini still in the fold--Walker became expendable. He was, however, claimed by several teams, which would seem to indicate that someone thinks he can still be a serviceable player.

I know there will be some people asking why the Orioles didn't try and make a trade for Walker and at least get something in return. Perhaps they did, but it takes two teams to make a trade. Other clubs were likely well aware of the Orioles' current rosters situation and knew if they waited, a potentially worthwhile player with options would become available. Thus, there was little urgency to complete a trade when someone could inevitably be had for a mere waiver claim.

#25 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

You're right about first base. Once the Orioles resigned Davis--and with Mancini still in the fold--Walker became expendable. He was, however, claimed by several teams, which would seem to indicate that someone thinks he can still be a serviceable player.

I know there will be some people asking why the Orioles didn't try and make a trade for Walker and at least get something in return. Perhaps they did, but it takes two teams to make a trade. Other clubs were likely well aware of the Orioles' current rosters situation and knew if they waited, a potentially worthwhile player with options would become available. Thus, there was little urgency to complete a trade when someone could inevitably be had for a mere waiver claim.

After last years mediocre performance Walker just had zero trade value.  That is now very clear. 

#26 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

I think Walker needed a change of environment. Something is going on in AAA. These O's prospect do great in Double AA and go to Norfork and slide downward. 

I think he is fixable. 

#27 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:09 AM

I thought Walker was one of the O's big prospects. Some Farm System this team has.

Me too!!!

#28 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

I think Walker needed a change of environment. Something is going on in AAA. These O's prospect do great in Double AA and go to Norfork and slide downward. 

I think he is fixable. 

From other posts I've seen on other threads, Norfolk must be a tough park to hit in for power.

#29 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

Another in the long line of overrated Orioles "prospects"

#30 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

From other posts I've seen on other threads, Norfolk must be a tough park to hit in for power.

Norfork was designed by the Mets to match Shea Stadium so when their hitters got to the majors they would be use to the dimensions. It is a pitchers park.

The playing surface is Natural Grass, and the dimensions are 333 ft. in LF, 410 ft. in CF, and 318 ft in RF.

#31 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

Now the Reds have him!

The Reds have claimed first baseman Christian Walker off waivers from the Braves and designated right-hander Jumbo Diaz for assignment in order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster, tweets Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer. Atlanta had just picked up Walker off waivers a couple of weeks ago, but they clearly weren’t able to succeed in passing him through waivers themselves.

Walker, 26 later this month, was long viewed as a potential first base/DH option in the Orioles organization, but both of those spots are blocked in the long-term by Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo. Beyond that, Walker had seen himself leapfrogged by fellow first base/DH prospect Trey Mancini within the Orioles’ ranks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users