Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cosgrove

Fired Coaches In Baltimore County

35 posts in this topic

You know what, you're right, I should have never chimed in after it was made clear that this was about baseball.  Please strike all previous comments from the record.  

You sound like you know something that would be of great benefit to so many around here.  We like to get to the bottom of things around here no matter where that bottom is.  Do us all a solid and Do Tell.  Be a newbie legend....  :P

Edited by DayWalker

Cosgrove - Why did you Start a topic with such an attention grabbing name and then back off from supporting any facts? "Has anyone else heard of anything?" If you're claiming that coaches were fired...which coaches? Softball teams playing in spring break tournaments? Newsflash - spring break falls within the softball season. 

HY3:13,

On the baseball end I had heard that Dulaney's coaches had been having practices at a local training facility. I am not speaking of a couple of kids, but a large number of young men. Also, the coaches in question were not holding an open gym type situation where by they offerred to help any athlete from any school. The word that I received from multiple sources was that some baseball coaches from Dulaney had been let go because of these pre-season workouts. I was attempting to confirm what I had heard.

Honestly, if a coach from a specific school were to hold workouts to any high school player, I personally have no problem with that. It is all about helping young people. Sadly, in this specific situation, this was not the case.

As for the softball situation, I made a mistake on the rule about traveling distance that Daywalker was kind enough to point out. Once Daywalker let me know about my mistake, I apologized.

The biggest problem I have is when a coach abuses the rules. Coaches who help all athletes no matter where they come from I support fully and completely.

OK - Thank you for clarifying. Now your post definitely has some teeth to it! And you are correct, there are very specific rules regarding "out of season" practice and any organized team activity  - other than strength and conditioning - prior to March 1 should be penalized. 

HY3:13,

What I consider said about the whole situation is that as a coach myself, I believe that you can and should have an impact on young people no matter what school they come from. Back in the 90's I had the great pleasure to coach against one of the all-time great track and field coaches, Jerry Martin from Perry Hall. He was always giving of his time and knowledge. One of the things he did was coach any pole vaulter in the county who wanted or needed help. Coach Martin was a great man and a great role model.

I know that in my specific situation back in the 90's coaching softball I did clinics and anyone who wanted to work on pitching I was willing to help and most cases for free. If I took many it was because I just wanted enough money to cover my gas. I actually started a pitching clinic and it took years for the people I worked with to get me to accept money for the clinic. I also don't remember how many phone calls I received from other high school coaches for me to go and work with their pitchers. Most of my spring breaks were spent at schools that would later play the school I coached at. There are others that are the same way.

I apologize if it sounds like I am trying to toot my own horn, but my father and many other great coaches taught me to give back. I am not the only one who is this way and honestly if the Dulaney coaches had held an open workout for all high school baseball players, even though it may not of been by the rule, I would have not had a problem with it. It is all about helping young people.

No, I agree totally and you are to be commended for volunteering to work with not only your pitchers, but any and all. I too have heard great things about the late coach Martin as you described. If Dulaney's baseball staff did knowingly have early (and illegal) team practices then there should be consequences. Youth sports and HS sports has be come such a race to be best and a year round pursuit of scholarships for kids that we have lost sight of the true value of athletics.