Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

Manny contract extension

17 posts in this topic

John Angelos is in FL with the team. He was asked about the possibility of signing Manny long term.

(Paraphrasing what he said) There seems to be this notion that extending Manny is on the back burner, not true. We've been in regular contact with his camp. We understand the kind of money it will take, and Manny is a player we're willing to spend that kind of money on.

According to Manny, there have been no further talks regarding an extension. As transcribed by Eduardo Encina of The Sun on February 17, this was Manny's response to the contract question:

No, not at all. It’s something that, I’m not worried about it. I’m trying to play baseball. I’m not going to sit here and answer these questions because there have been no talks. And when there is, you guys will probably be the first to know. To be honest, you might find out before me. I’m not worried about it. I came here to play baseball. Let’s just enjoy ourselves. This year they’ve put a really good group of guys in this clubhouse. It will be really fun to play with them and see what we can do.

Either the Orioles are really keeping a lid on these discussions, or they're convinced that future talks at this point are fruitless. Any extension they would give Manny will undoubtedly be the biggest contract the Orioles have ever given out, and perhaps it's beyond what they realistically want to pay.

Edited by mdrunning

According to Manny, there have been no further talks regarding an extension.

In fairness based on what you posted Manny may not even know

And when there is, you guys will probably be the first to know. To be honest, you might find out before me

Edited by bmore_ken

In fairness based on what you posted Manny may not even know

Any agent discussing a contract will certainly keep his client informed regarding said talks. The player, after all, is the one who will ultimately vote it up or down.

I thought this was going to be about the newly signed extension.  :(

John Angelos is in FL with the team. He was asked about the possibility of signing Manny long term.

(Paraphrasing what he said) There seems to be this notion that extending Manny is on the back burner, not true. We've been in regular contact with his camp. We understand the kind of money it will take, and Manny is a player we're willing to spend that kind of money on.

Do you believe the O's will spend the kind of money it'll take to keep him?

I have my doubts, but I think it could happen. The reason I think there's a chance, is because we're talking about a generational talent. That's something this ownership group has never dealt with before; so there's no precedent for how they will respond. They had Ripken, but by the time Angelos came in, Cal was already a long time veteran, under contract, and he was willing to give the hometown discount. Also, they ponied up to keep Davis and O'Day. Davis is worth mentioning, because of all the money he got. O'Day is worth mentioning, because they paid him market money and went an extra year on his contract, to keep him. Plus, Manny approached the team with an offer. So I think he really likes Baltimore, and would be willing to offer a discount.

On the other hand, someone with the team was crying poor on the radio yesterday. They were spouting their usual, "We can't compete financially with NY & Boston". 

On the other hand, someone with the team was crying poor on the radio yesterday. They were spouting their usual, "We can't compete financially with NY & Boston". 

This gets old.  I'm not sure if I read the tables correctly, but I think I read that the Nationals have ~$159 million payroll and the O's are at ~$150 million.  Given that Sir Peter took the Nats to the shed on the MASN deal, just that evidence alone is reason enough for me to question that "we can't compete" BS.  Adding in the NYY and the Sox to the equation makes no difference to me.  

The money just needs to be sent more wisely.  Don't bid against yourselves like with Davis, please.

This gets old.  I'm not sure if I read the tables correctly, but I think I read that the Nationals have ~$159 million payroll and the O's are at ~$150 million.  Given that Sir Peter took the Nats to the shed on the MASN deal, just that evidence alone is reason enough for me to question that "we can't compete" BS.  Adding in the NYY and the Sox to the equation makes no difference to me.  

The money just needs to be sent more wisely.  Don't bid against yourselves like with Davis, please.

It's also worth mentioning that the O's/Nats market extends down into the Carolinas. That's an enormous market. And we know Pete gets the lion's share of MASN. Like you said, that tired old complaint just doesn't stand up.

Angelos has made it a priority to keep his players. He even tried to keep Markakis too.

So there is that.

The money just needs to be sent more wisely. Don't bid against yourselves like with Davis, please.

Yeah for the life of me I don't understand who they got it so wrong with Davis, but got it so right with Trumbo. I guess you could say they learned something from Davis, but I don't know?

It's also worth mentioning that the O's/Nats market extends down into the Carolinas. That's an enormous market. And we know Pete gets the lion's share of MASN. Like you said, that tired old complaint just doesn't stand up.

I'm not so sure about a mutual O's/Nats market. Those territories are typically carved out by one team or another. I can't state any empirical data, but the relocation of Montreal to Washington certainly cut into the fanbase to some degree. The Capitals, for example, have a significant draw from the Baltimore area, but if the NHL ever put a team in Baltimore (not very likely), they'd probably lose about 20 percent of their base.

What does keep the Orioles relevant is their history and Camden Yards. Otherwise, they're in a rather geographically challenged position. There's Philadelphia to the north, Washington to the south, Pittsburgh to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. That doesn't allow for a lot of wiggle room.

Edited by mdrunning

I'm not so sure about a mutual O's/Nats market. Those territories are typically carved out by one team or another. I can't state any empirical data, but the relocation of Montreal to Washington certainly cut into the fanbase to some degree. The Capitals, for example, have a significant draw from the Baltimore area, but if the NHL ever put a team in Baltimore (not very likely), they'd probably lose about 20 percent of their base.

What does keep the Orioles relevant is their history and Camden Yards. Otherwise, they're in a rather geographically challenged position. There's Philadelphia to the north, Washington to the south, Pittsburgh to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. That doesn't allow for a lot of wiggle room.

In this case, both teams share the same market, because of MASN. If they were two independent organizations, with individual RSNs, then the territory would be separated, and would probably go to DC. 

I can't stand the rampant speculation about the Yankees saving up for the "Harper and Machado Sweepsteaks"

Not sure what I'll do if the Orioles don't resign him and he ends up on the Yankees or Red Sox.