Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleedingorangeandblack

Spring Training Fun

98 posts in this topic

How did he look for us last year in those multiple starts??? I think he had a foul odor. With that being said, he was one guy I was hopeful would bounce back to have a solid year. Its baseball, so you know by mid year this trade could flip in the O's favor.

This is more about how good Miranda looks with another organization. Maddening.

I was down on Wade as well however if my memory serves me right he was pretty good down the stretch

Miranda is 28 and pitching in safeco maybe

Would rather have neither but the safe bet is the vet

That doesn't count. Only the bad performances count.

Lol exactly

Are you getting the show 18

That doesn't count. Only the bad performances count.

LOL!!!  The good outings are so few its hard to remember them!!!

I was down on Wade as well however if my memory serves me right he was pretty good down the stretch

Miranda is 28 and pitching in safeco maybe

Would rather have neither but the safe bet is the vet

That's what I was banking on.  That he showed a little something late.  And I think he had a good stretch with Seattle before he was traded.  All in all though I'd rather have a middling LH pitcher that is making the minimum like Miranda then the middling vet Miley  that is making 9 mil.  That's a no brainer.

UJ with 3 scoreless today.  If he can carry over close to what he did late last year, the top 4 of the rotation will be pretty good.  Chris Johnson continues to hit. 

UJ with 3 scoreless today. If he can carry over close to what he did late last year, the top 4 of the rotation will be pretty good. Chris Johnson continues to hit.

Hopefully he plays over Ryan

Pitching continues to be very good this spring. Shut out yesterday until Orndusak gives up a bomb in the 9th. Hope this guy has his ticket bought for Norfolk.

Miley

3 IN

0 runs

Nice bounce back for Miley.  Glad to see he wasn't hurt after getting nailed by a line drive last time out.  I think he can be serviceable as a 5th starter and that's all we need from that spot.  Usually our 5th starters are a train wreck, so with a low bar Miley should be an upgrade.

Dariel Alvarez is being converted to a pitcher. He has always thrown in the BP, both with the O's and in winter ball, so this isn't a brand new conversion experiment. He's reluctant, because he prefers being a full time player, especially batting. I didn't know that his scouting report has him listed as a plus, plus arm. He hums it in at 97 mph 

Dariel Alvarez is being converted to a pitcher. He has always thrown in the BP, both with the O's and in winter ball, so this isn't a brand new conversion experiment. He's reluctant, because he prefers being a full time player, especially batting. I didn't know that his scouting report has him listed as a plus, plus arm. He hums it in at 97 mph 

I had seen it mentioned a couple times that he had best OF arm in the organization.  I fully expect him to be DFA'd off the 40 man when Gentry makes the team.  He will probably remain with the team and be outrighted to low A ball to start pitching. Cant see another team grabbing him.  His stock is almost at zero as an OF. Another failed top 5 prospect.  Maybe he will re-invent himself like Givens did.

I had seen it mentioned a couple times that he had best OF arm in the organization.  I fully expect him to be DFA'd off the 40 man when Gentry makes the team.  He will probably remain with the team and be outrighted to low A ball to start pitching. Cant see another team grabbing him.  His stock is almost at zero as an OF. Another failed top 5 prospect.  Maybe he will re-invent himself like Givens did.

According to the article I read, several teams wanted to sign him (out of Cuba) as a pitcher. He went with the O's, because they offered him a chance to make it as a position player. If he's DFA'd, he's as good as gone. Someone will take him, you can't teach 97 mph. 

According to the article I read, several teams wanted to sign him (out of Cuba) as a pitcher. He went with the O's, because they offered him a chance to make it as a position player. If he's DFA'd, he's as good as gone. Someone will take him, you can't teach 97 mph. 

Does a team that takes him off waivers have to put him on the 40 man??  If so those spots are at a premium, that why I don't think anyone will take a project like this on the 40 man.  And same reason I think the O's DFA him.  I guess we could DFA Gunkle instead if the team really is in love with Alvarezs arm.

Does a team that takes him off waivers have to put him on the 40 man??  If so those spots are at a premium, that why I don't think anyone will take a project like this on the 40 man.  And same reason I think the O's DFA him.  I guess we could DFA Gunkle instead if the team really is in love with Alvarezs arm.

That's a good question, I'm not sure if he has to be put on the 40 man. But I'm sure there are clubs that have the room. Most likely, they're clubs that are in a rebuild or down and out phase.San Diego comes to mind.

That's a good question, I'm not sure if he has to be put on the 40 man. But I'm sure there are clubs that have the room. Most likely, they're clubs that are in a rebuild or down and out phase.San Diego comes to mind.

You may be right.  A national league team may bite.  Develop a relief pitcher who throws 97 and can pinch hit in a tight spot.

Gentry with a big game yesterday.  Reading quotes from Buck, Gentry has replaced Reimold as Buck's spring man crush.  This guy is a lock for the 25 if he doesn't get hurt.

Gentry with a big game yesterday.  Reading quotes from Buck, Gentry has replaced Reimold as Buck's spring man crush.  This guy is a lock for the 25 if he doesn't get hurt.

"Spring man crush"  :lol:

Tilly and ZB both threw off full mounds yesterday, with no discomfort.

Tilly and ZB both threw off full mounds yesterday, with no discomfort.

Sweet.  And Hardy on his way back.  I'm actually pretty optimistic about this team if these guys all show up as healthy.  I'm really not seeing any holes.  I actually like the platoon corners of Kim/Smith against RH and Rickard/Gentry against LH.  I mean the bar is so low on corner OFs since 2014, I'm thrilled with these guys.

Sweet.  And Hardy on his way back.  I'm actually pretty optimistic about this team if these guys all show up as healthy.  I'm really not seeing any holes.  I actually like the platoon corners of Kim/Smith against RH and Rickard/Gentry against LH.  I mean the bar is so low on corner OFs since 2014, I'm thrilled with these guys.

Those platoons are definitely upgrades. Hardy isn't looking like an everyday player any longer. It's a shame his body just immediately fell into steep decline, since the extension.  

Lol exactly

Are you getting the show 18

I haven't read the reviews on it yet. The determining factor may be if they cut down on unnecessary animations. Do you know how many infield hits I give up on '16 because my infielders have to pat their glove two times before making a throw? So frustrating. Same with the outfielders.

Posted (edited)

Sort of off topic. Buck was on 105.7 last night and said that they were converting Dariel Alvarez to a pitcher. Is this news to everyone or am I just behind in the news?

Edited by bmore_ken

Sort of off topic. Buck was on 105.7 last night and said that they were converting Dariel Alvarez to a pitcher. Is this news to everyone or am I just behind in the news?

I read or heard about the possibility a while back, but it now seems to be in motion.  See posts from weirdo and Crouseman earlier in this thread.