Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleedingorangeandblack

Spring Training Fun

98 posts in this topic

Sort of off topic. Buck was on 105.7 last night and said that they were converting Dariel Alvarez to a pitcher. Is this news to everyone or am I just behind in the news?

Ken, go back to post #37 on page 2 of this thread. I commented on some of the details, from an article I read. 

Ken, go back to post #37 on page 2 of this thread. I commented on some of the details, from an article I read.

Ok. I haven't read much of the thread because I'm just not that into ST. That explains why I'm behind on it.

Those platoons are definitely upgrades. Hardy isn't looking like an everyday player any longer. It's a shame his body just immediately fell into steep decline, since the extension.  

Agree.  It wouldn't hurt to probably rest JJ at least 2 times a week.  We are just lucky we have a Manny to slide to short.  Of course that means a bigger dose of Flash at third.  The one small silver lining on this, is that the team has a legit reason to keep Hardy below those 600 PAs  which would kick in that 14mil option for 2018,  Just saying.

I'm probably in the minority, but I expect UJ and Miley to hold their own in the 4th and 5th spots of the rotation.  If that really happens,  this is a dangerous team for 2017.

I wish I shared your confidence in those two. UJ had 1 not horrible year in Baltimore, so it's not impossible that he could stand up to the demands of the #5 position. But Miley has an arm made for a weak NL division. The ALe eats him alive. He will have to totally rise above his history in this division.  

I haven't read the reviews on it yet. The determining factor may be if they cut down on unnecessary animations. Do you know how many infield hits I give up on '16 because my infielders have to pat their glove two times before making a throw? So frustrating. Same with the outfielders.

This year im going to be brave and actually play defense lol

I wish I shared your confidence in those two. UJ had 1 not horrible year in Baltimore, so it's not impossible that he could stand up to the demands of the #5 position. But Miley has an arm made for a weak NL division. The ALe eats him alive. He will have to totally rise above his history in this division.  

Yeah odds are in favor of one of these guys imploding.  Look back the last 5 years and show me once that the O's had the same rotation 1 June as on 1 April.  there have been a few injuries, but there have been a lot of putrid blow-ups too. Hello Ynoa!!!  The carnage has been plentiful and ugly.  Arrietta, Matusz, UJ, Wright, Wilson, ect.  There has to be more I just cant think .

Rickard having another big spring.  Going to be tough to send him out.  Nice platoon/lead-off option with Kim in LF.  And Buck is in love with Gentry.  I'm having trouble seeing how either rule 5 guy sticks.  I read where Tavarez's defense wasn't real hot.  I know they love Santander's bat, maybe they stash him on IR for awhile because he can't play the OF yet.  Then see what happens.

I heard someone on the radio (not sure who it was). Maybe a beat writer? He's in FL and said neither rule 5 guys stand much of a chance to stay with the O's. He said resigning Pedro Alvarez was the final nail in their O's coffins. 

That sucks, IMO PA is less valuable to the team than a young controllable player with a future, even if it's only a potential future. Although PA signed a minor league deal, everyone is talking about him, as if he is definitely staying with the O's as an OFer.  

I heard someone on the radio (not sure who it was). Maybe a beat writer? He's in FL and said neither rule 5 guys stand much of a chance to stay with the O's. He said resigning Pedro Alvarez was the final nail in their O's coffins. 

That sucks, IMO PA is less valuable to the team than a young controllable player with a future, even if it's only a potential future. Although PA signed a minor league deal, everyone is talking about him, as if he is definitely staying with the O's as an OFer.  

I agree.  I was not high on PA coming back.  I just don't see hoe he fits with Smith, Kim  as LH corners and Trumbs as the full time DH.  DD just can't help himself on guys who profile like PA.

Miley and Wilson shelled yesterday.  Britton rusty, but healthy.  The LHP  from Yanks, Bleier, good again.  Really like to see those high OBP numbers from Gentry and Rickard. Along with Kim and Smith we actually have some corner OF who can play this year.  But those punch and judy guys just not scratching DDs itch.  So lets run Pedro out there with his lead glove. 

I can't believe we didn't resign Vance Worley with the rotation issues going into camp, knowing Tillman's shoulder was sore.

Yeah we are in trouble with rotation.  But I think Ynoa may surprise.  Sure seems like DD passed on Worley because he had no options left.  If Ynoa and Verrett flop, DD will look dopey.

Better question is what does Gallardo look like this spring?? 

Just looked it up.  Both he and Miranda have been somewhat lousy.  Carrying around 6 ERAs and Whips over 1.50. 

Seth Smith has been a ghost this spring.  Bad hammy I guess.  Buck slobbering to get Pedro in RF so ole Seth better step on the gas the first 6 weeks of the year. 

Trumbs in RF and Alvarez at DH today. Yeah the 2016 band is getting back together!!! No need to see anymore of Mancini. Send the bum back to Norfolk. We got Pedro now. And Seth Smith still a ghost.

Ubaldo sucks again.

The guy flat out sucks. Should've been cut/ released over a year ago.

But no let's keep him around to make the team worse simply b/c they owe him money. Idiotic.

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Ubaldo sucks again.

I almost never use ST production to assess a player. But with UJ, it's safe to do it. 

I almost never use ST production to assess a player. But with UJ, it's safe to do it. 

You can't really judge their stats, but I saw Bud Norris in person early in ST in 2015 and I knew right off he was done, at least in Baltimore.

Ubaldo could be slacking on his mechanics again -- could be time to pull him aside for another session. Hopefully McDowell and Co. (Brady) can have the same success as Wallace did.

Edited by Pickle20

You can't really judge their stats, but I saw Bud Norris in person early in ST in 2015 and I knew right off he was done, at least in Baltimore.

Ubaldo could be slacking on his mechanics again -- could be time to pull him aside for another session. Hopefully McDowell and Co. (Brady) can have the same success as Wallace did.

LOL!!!!  Yeah Pickleman let's get Brady on the case to fix UJ again.  Brady knows pitching!!!