Spring Training Fun

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

Does a team that takes him off waivers have to put him on the 40 man??  If so those spots are at a premium, that why I don't think anyone will take a project like this on the 40 man.  And same reason I think the O's DFA him.  I guess we could DFA Gunkle instead if the team really is in love with Alvarezs arm.

That's a good question, I'm not sure if he has to be put on the 40 man. But I'm sure there are clubs that have the room. Most likely, they're clubs that are in a rebuild or down and out phase.San Diego comes to mind.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#42 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

That's a good question, I'm not sure if he has to be put on the 40 man. But I'm sure there are clubs that have the room. Most likely, they're clubs that are in a rebuild or down and out phase.San Diego comes to mind.

You may be right.  A national league team may bite.  Develop a relief pitcher who throws 97 and can pinch hit in a tight spot.

#43 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

Gentry with a big game yesterday.  Reading quotes from Buck, Gentry has replaced Reimold as Buck's spring man crush.  This guy is a lock for the 25 if he doesn't get hurt.

#44 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

Gentry with a big game yesterday.  Reading quotes from Buck, Gentry has replaced Reimold as Buck's spring man crush.  This guy is a lock for the 25 if he doesn't get hurt.

"Spring man crush"  :lol:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#45 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

Tilly and ZB both threw off full mounds yesterday, with no discomfort.

#46 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Tilly and ZB both threw off full mounds yesterday, with no discomfort.

Sweet.  And Hardy on his way back.  I'm actually pretty optimistic about this team if these guys all show up as healthy.  I'm really not seeing any holes.  I actually like the platoon corners of Kim/Smith against RH and Rickard/Gentry against LH.  I mean the bar is so low on corner OFs since 2014, I'm thrilled with these guys.

#47 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

Sweet.  And Hardy on his way back.  I'm actually pretty optimistic about this team if these guys all show up as healthy.  I'm really not seeing any holes.  I actually like the platoon corners of Kim/Smith against RH and Rickard/Gentry against LH.  I mean the bar is so low on corner OFs since 2014, I'm thrilled with these guys.

Those platoons are definitely upgrades. Hardy isn't looking like an everyday player any longer. It's a shame his body just immediately fell into steep decline, since the extension.  

#48 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Lol exactly
Are you getting the show 18

I haven't read the reviews on it yet. The determining factor may be if they cut down on unnecessary animations. Do you know how many infield hits I give up on '16 because my infielders have to pat their glove two times before making a throw? So frustrating. Same with the outfielders.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#49 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Sort of off topic. Buck was on 105.7 last night and said that they were converting Dariel Alvarez to a pitcher. Is this news to everyone or am I just behind in the news?

Edited by bmore_ken, 09 March 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#50 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Sort of off topic. Buck was on 105.7 last night and said that they were converting Dariel Alvarez to a pitcher. Is this news to everyone or am I just behind in the news?

I read or heard about the possibility a while back, but it now seems to be in motion.  See posts from weirdo and Crouseman earlier in this thread. 

#51 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Ken, go back to post #37 on page 2 of this thread. I commented on some of the details, from an article I read. 

#52 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Ken, go back to post #37 on page 2 of this thread. I commented on some of the details, from an article I read.

Ok. I haven't read much of the thread because I'm just not that into ST. That explains why I'm behind on it.

#53 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Those platoons are definitely upgrades. Hardy isn't looking like an everyday player any longer. It's a shame his body just immediately fell into steep decline, since the extension.  

Agree.  It wouldn't hurt to probably rest JJ at least 2 times a week.  We are just lucky we have a Manny to slide to short.  Of course that means a bigger dose of Flash at third.  The one small silver lining on this, is that the team has a legit reason to keep Hardy below those 600 PAs  which would kick in that 14mil option for 2018,  Just saying.

#54 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but I expect UJ and Miley to hold their own in the 4th and 5th spots of the rotation.  If that really happens,  this is a dangerous team for 2017.

#55 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

I wish I shared your confidence in those two. UJ had 1 not horrible year in Baltimore, so it's not impossible that he could stand up to the demands of the #5 position. But Miley has an arm made for a weak NL division. The ALe eats him alive. He will have to totally rise above his history in this division.  

#56 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,947 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

I haven't read the reviews on it yet. The determining factor may be if they cut down on unnecessary animations. Do you know how many infield hits I give up on '16 because my infielders have to pat their glove two times before making a throw? So frustrating. Same with the outfielders.

This year im going to be brave and actually play defense lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#57 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

I wish I shared your confidence in those two. UJ had 1 not horrible year in Baltimore, so it's not impossible that he could stand up to the demands of the #5 position. But Miley has an arm made for a weak NL division. The ALe eats him alive. He will have to totally rise above his history in this division.  

Yeah odds are in favor of one of these guys imploding.  Look back the last 5 years and show me once that the O's had the same rotation 1 June as on 1 April.  there have been a few injuries, but there have been a lot of putrid blow-ups too. Hello Ynoa!!!  The carnage has been plentiful and ugly.  Arrietta, Matusz, UJ, Wright, Wilson, ect.  There has to be more I just cant think .

#58 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Rickard having another big spring.  Going to be tough to send him out.  Nice platoon/lead-off option with Kim in LF.  And Buck is in love with Gentry.  I'm having trouble seeing how either rule 5 guy sticks.  I read where Tavarez's defense wasn't real hot.  I know they love Santander's bat, maybe they stash him on IR for awhile because he can't play the OF yet.  Then see what happens.

#59 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

I heard someone on the radio (not sure who it was). Maybe a beat writer? He's in FL and said neither rule 5 guys stand much of a chance to stay with the O's. He said resigning Pedro Alvarez was the final nail in their O's coffins. 

That sucks, IMO PA is less valuable to the team than a young controllable player with a future, even if it's only a potential future. Although PA signed a minor league deal, everyone is talking about him, as if he is definitely staying with the O's as an OFer.  

#60 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

I heard someone on the radio (not sure who it was). Maybe a beat writer? He's in FL and said neither rule 5 guys stand much of a chance to stay with the O's. He said resigning Pedro Alvarez was the final nail in their O's coffins. 

That sucks, IMO PA is less valuable to the team than a young controllable player with a future, even if it's only a potential future. Although PA signed a minor league deal, everyone is talking about him, as if he is definitely staying with the O's as an OFer.  

I agree.  I was not high on PA coming back.  I just don't see hoe he fits with Smith, Kim  as LH corners and Trumbs as the full time DH.  DD just can't help himself on guys who profile like PA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users