#1 dshawg1

dshawg1

Let's Go O's!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

Anyone surprised? I am.

Coed Flag Football, Basketball, Dodgeball, Softball, Kickball & More!
http://www.PlayBaltimore.com

Free Real Estate/Financial Tips:
www.FinancialHangout.com

#2 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

No.  He just isn't very good.  Can't play the field and cant hit LH pitching.  Plus his agent is Boras so they are asking for the moon based off 22 dingers last year.  Chris Carter hit 41 bombs and got what 3 million.  So Pedro should be worth 1.5 mil.

#3 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Should be cheap. Surprised Big Dan and Peter Angelos haven't brought him back.

#4 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

Alvarez is one of those guys who needs to find the right situation in order to land a job. He'll have to have a platoon partner, and he needs to be on a team that will never require him to come within a tankful of gas of the field. My guess is that his phone will start ringing should some team suffer an injury or two in spring training.

#5 russsnyder

russsnyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:21 AM

Alvarez is one of those guys who needs to find the right situation in order to land a job. He'll have to have a platoon partner, and he needs to be on a team that will never require him to come within a tankful of gas of the field. My guess is that his phone will start ringing should some team suffer an injury or two in spring training.

This is a very accurate assessment of Alvarez's situation.

His inability to hit lefties limits his AB's at D and He can't play defense.

I was pretty sure that his Oriole career when the Orioles acquired Seth .

Still, He has power and I can see a team signing him as an option at DH.

#6 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:54 AM

He is back with O's on a minor league deal.  I think its worth 2 mil.  Going to be a corner OF.  God help us. With the mobility I saw last year, this has little chance of success.  Guy can still hit RH pitching though.  The ultimate one trick pony.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

A waste of time and money, especially since that move appears to have assured that neither rule 5 guy will be kept.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

A waste of time and money, especially since that move appears to have assured that neither rule 5 guy will be kept.  

Yep, 2 thumbs down.  I don't care how cheap the guy signed for.  He will take ABs away from Kim and Smith as well as kill the rule 5 guys.  And Smith and Kim actually have good OBP numbers.  So typical of DD  Drunk on power numbers.  Again if he makes it to the big team.  I'm not convinced.  He just doesn't look athletic enough to play the OF.  So we are going to pay a guy 2 mil to shag flies in Norfolk????  Brilliant.

#9 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

Yep, 2 thumbs down.  I don't care how cheap the guy signed for.  He will take ABs away from Kim and Smith as well as kill the rule 5 guys.  And Smith and Kim actually have good OBP numbers.  So typical of DD  Drunk on power numbers.  Again if he makes it to the big team.  I'm not convinced.  He just doesn't look athletic enough to play the OF.  So we are going to pay a guy 2 mil to shag flies in Norfolk????  Brilliant.

Maybe DD has a plan to get out of this before the 2 mil is guaranteed.  Just seems like an expensive fall back option.  I mean we don't even have a spot for Mancini for gods sake. 

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Mancini is playing in the OF too. So what's that up to now...38 OFers?  :huh:

I guess DD figures there's quality in quantity. Instead of 4 really good OFers, and a 5th guy that's good off the bench, DD is going with countless guys who all have one solid skill. Aside from Jones, the rest all seem like incomplete players to me. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

Not understanding this strategy of stockpiling outfielders unless there is some shortage of outfielders in MLB and DD is boarding them in order to make a big trade. Unfortunately we all know that's not the case.

So for outfielders they now have: Jones, Kim, Rickard, Trumbo, Seth Smith, two Rule 5 guys and now Pedro Alvarez and Michael Bourn signed to Minor League deals. Oh and Trey Mancini apparently one of the O's top prospects.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

Don't forget Craig Gentry. 

#13 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

I guess the O's didn't learn their lesson from Jimmy Parades.  Once an iron glove, always an iron glove.  I really thought parades had a shot to be a RF, but he must of been horrible  in his last experiment out there.  And he was an athlete with speed and a cannon arm..  I see almost zero chance Alvarez can be even middling out there.  This is almost a joke. I almost forgot we have Bourn coming back.   So whats the point DD???

#14 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

I'm going to withhold judgement on the Alvarez signing until he actually makes the club, and if so, how much his presence pushes Trumbo to the outfield.

I'm kind of shuddering at the thought of Alvarez ever coming near the outfield, but if you look at his priors, he never had a problem catching pop-ups or fly balls. When he committed 25 errors at third base with Pittsburgh in 2014, 24 of those miscues were throwing errors. He was actually said to have good defensive skills when he was at Vanderbilt. If he can get to the fly balls that should be outs and at least hit the cut-off man, that might not be a bad thing. It isn't as if Alvarez is blocking any mega-prospect from a place on the major league roster.

It's a minor league deal, so I don't see how anyone can be that unhappy about bringing Alvarez back under those terms.

#15 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

I'm going to withhold judgement on the Alvarez signing until he actually makes the club, and if so, how much his presence pushes Trumbo to the outfield.

I'm kind of shuddering at the thought of Alvarez ever coming near the outfield, but if you look at his priors, he never had a problem catching pop-ups or fly balls. When he committed 25 errors at third base with Pittsburgh in 2014, 24 of those miscues were throwing errors. He was actually said to have good defensive skills when he was at Vanderbilt. If he can get to the fly balls that should be outs and at least hit the cut-off man, that might not be a bad thing. It isn't as if Alvarez is blocking any mega-prospect from a place on the major league roster.

It's a minor league deal, so I don't see how anyone can be that unhappy about bringing Alvarez back under those terms.

I'll admit I don't know the exact terms of the deal other than its for 2 mil and its a minor league deal.  I guess if DD has a spare 2 mil in pocket change to pay a guy to shag balls at Norfolk, so be it.  I see zero chance he is with big club at start unless we have an injury.  But wouldn't it be just like DD/Buck to option Rickard and send back Tavarez to Sox so Pedro can ride pine with the big club.  We need power and a vet presence my rear end.

#16 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

I'll admit I don't know the exact terms of the deal other than its for 2 mil and its a minor league deal.  I guess if DD has a spare 2 mil in pocket change to pay a guy to shag balls at Norfolk, so be it.  I see zero chance he is with big club at start unless we have an injury.  But wouldn't it be just like DD/Buck to option Rickard and send back Tavarez to Sox so Pedro can ride pine with the big club.  We need power and a vet presence my rear end.

It's a one-year, $2 million contract only if Alvarez is added to the 40-man roster. That doesn't affect the Rule 5 guys who have to spend the entire season on the 25-man if they're to be kept.

I just don't think it's worth getting worked up one way or another over this right now. If circumstances dictate that he get a shot, either because of an injury to someone else or he's lighting it up in spring training, that can be dealt with down the road. Right now my guess is that Alvarez (unless there's some opt-out in the contract I'm not aware of) will be ticketed to start the season at Norfolk as injury insurance.

#17 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Just saying the rule 5 guys are on the 40 man too.  So if Alvarez is added to 40 man, some prospect has to be DFA to make room.  For a team as cheap as the O's, 2 mil seems like an expensive insurance policy.  I would of kept that powder dry for a later time , i.e. pitching. Again Alvarez has zero chance to be even a middling OF, IMO.    

#18 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Just saying the rule 5 guys are on the 40 man too.  So if Alvarez is added to 40 man, some prospect has to be DFA to make room.  For a team as cheap as the O's, 2 mil seems like an expensive insurance policy.  I would of kept that powder dry for a later time , i.e. pitching. Again Alvarez has zero chance to be even a middling OF, IMO.    

But they're not like other minor leaguers who can be optioned. Right now there is Mancini, Gentry and Tavarez fighting to open the season with 14 position players. The signing of Alvarez does not change that equation at all.

#19 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

But they're not like other minor leaguers who can be optioned. Right now there is Mancini, Gentry and Tavarez fighting to open the season with 14 position players. The signing of Alvarez does not change that equation at all.

Yeah I get that.  But what other prospect gets the axe when Alvarez is added to the 40 man?  Gentry and Bourn will need added to the 40 man as well.  I just don't see it with Alvarez.  He is just a 2 million dollar spare part DH at Norfolk who can only hit RH pitching. His skills are just a duplicate of what we already have about three times over.

#20 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Yeah I get that.  But what other prospect gets the axe when Alvarez is added to the 40 man?  Gentry and Bourn will need added to the 40 man as well.  I just don't see it with Alvarez.  He is just a 2 million dollar spare part DH at Norfolk who can only hit RH pitching. His skills are just a duplicate of what we already have about three times over.

What outfield prospects do the Orioles actually have at Norfolk? There really isn't anyone worth worrying about down there who might lose playing time or a roster spot if Alvarez gets some starts in the outfield.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users