Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

Pedro Alvarez Still Unsigned...

56 posts in this topic

What outfield prospects do the Orioles actually have at Norfolk? There really isn't anyone worth worrying about down there who might lose playing time or a roster spot if Alvarez gets some starts in the outfield.

Weird already mentioned this, but what about Mancini??  He is also trying RF and was first in line to come up from Norfolk if there was an injury.  I don't think he makes the team out of ST.  Not that he doesn't deserve it.  Just no room.  I mean DD already bumped Mancini back with the Trumbo signing.  Know he wants to get the failed band from last year all back to together with Pedro in the mix.  Total head scratcher, IMO.

My kids like him so im biased lol

LOL!!  That's the best reason I've heard yet for bringing Pedro back.  Anybody that watched the O's last year for any length of time saw that Pedro was part of the problem with last year's team, not part of improving it for 2017.  Replacing Reimold and Alvarez with Gentry and Smith were the right moves.  Now we got Pedro again.  Lets get Nolan back again too.

Pedro with an opt out in May.  Whew!!  Hope he uses it!!  Perfect scenario would be that Pedro tears it up at Norfolk and then somebody's DH gets hurt.  We could get a warm body prospect in a deal, LOL.  But really there is a reason Pedro has been unemployed.  Other teams don't want this kind of limited skill set player hogging up a roster spot.

It's a one-year, $2 million contract only if Alvarez is added to the 40-man roster. That doesn't affect the Rule 5 guys who have to spend the entire season on the 25-man if they're to be kept.

I just don't think it's worth getting worked up one way or another over this right now. If circumstances dictate that he get a shot, either because of an injury to someone else or he's lighting it up in spring training, that can be dealt with down the road. Right now my guess is that Alvarez (unless there's some opt-out in the contract I'm not aware of) will be ticketed to start the season at Norfolk as injury insurance.

The reason it's frustrating, is because all the language the team is using, is telling us that Pedro will be on the 25 man roster and will be playing OF/DH. Buck really likes having him on the team, so it sounds unlikely that they will keep a rule 5 guy and let PA walk. And that's the problem. It's not a slam dunk that either rule 5 guy will become an impact player. But Tavarez offers speed and gaudy on base numbers in AA & AAA. Santander is a switch hitting, power bat who also gets on base. So why add a one dimensional player at the direct sacrifice of one or more players that offer something new? Or at least the same thing Alvarez offers, but for pennies on the dollar. PA at DH means Trumbo in the OF. Either way, it's a weak defensive OF, with AJ being asked to cover still more ground, when he appears to be slowing down too.

I realize none of this has happened yet. But, like I said, the things that Buck is saying, and the things being reported on by the beat writers, is showing a strong indication that it's just a matter of time before we're watching Pedro in the OF, and striking out 200 times. 

The reason it's frustrating, is because all the language the team is using, is telling us that Pedro will be on the 25 man roster and will be playing OF/DH. Buck really likes having him on the team, so it sounds unlikely that they will keep a rule 5 guy and let PA walk. And that's the problem. It's not a slam dunk that either rule 5 guy will become an impact player. But Tavarez offers speed and gaudy on base numbers in AA & AAA. Santander is a switch hitting, power bat who also gets on base. So why add a one dimensional player at the direct sacrifice of one or more players that offer something new? Or at least the same thing Alvarez offers, but for pennies on the dollar. PA at DH means Trumbo in the OF. Either way, it's a weak defensive OF, with AJ being asked to cover still more ground, when he appears to be slowing down too.

I realize none of this has happened yet. But, like I said, the things that Buck is saying, and the things being reported on by the beat writers, is showing a strong indication that it's just a matter of time before we're watching Pedro in the OF, and striking out 200 times. 

Yep exactly.  You should read the quotes from DD as Pedro gets his first start at DH today.  He is literally drooling talking about the couple bombs Pedro hit on to Eutaw St last year, LOL!!!!  This is comical, DD/Buck's obsession with the long ball.  No mention of all the Ks and low OBP/low Avg and iron glove.  Just the couple bombs!!!

This team will probably see it's world series drought continue for many years. DD builds teams for OPACY, and nowhere else. 

What outfield prospects do the Orioles actually have at Norfolk? There really isn't anyone worth worrying about down there who might lose playing time or a roster spot if Alvarez gets some starts in the outfield.

I agree with you. I don't think it's anything to get worked up about even if he makes the big league club. I still have a suspicion he's going to be a trade piece.

This team will probably see it's world series drought continue for many years. DD builds teams for OPACY, and nowhere else. 

Yeah it seemed like DD/Buck were heading in a slightly different direction by bringing in Smith, Gentry, Bourn and Tavarez.  And I still like all those moves.  But like you said, if Pedro is on the 25 man with no other injuries, then Trumbs is in RF some of the time and either Gentry. Rickard or Mancini are off team.  And if Trumbs or Davis were hurt, Mancini needed to get the call.  I just don't get the upside of having Pedro on the 25 man or the 40 man. 

I agree with you. I don't think it's anything to get worked up about even if he makes the big league club. I still have a suspicion he's going to be a trade piece.

This is what I'm holding out hope for.  Somehow a trade piece in early May after he scorches AAA pitching.  DD may find a desperate sucker in the AL.

You would think that with the O's number one starter on the shelf, DD would of kept this 2 mil in his back pocket to help pay for a future acquisition.  Teams will be cutting ML talent at the end of spring training because of roster crunches.  But no , he spends it on a spare part that will most likely have no impact.

Man you are really worked up about this :lol:

How so???  Just telling it like it is.  Dumb moves need to be called out. I know the DD does no wrong  crowd doesn't want to hear it.  Too bad. :) Full disclosure.  I never liked Alvarez last year and nothing has changed.  He is the epitome of the O's inflexible failed offense to get this team past the WC game.

Actually what didn't get the O's past the w/c card game was Buck's pitching decision.

Actually what didn't get the O's past the w/c card game was Buck's pitching decision.

Well I can't argue that!!!  Good one.  On the other hand, the inept, one trick pony offense didn't help either. Not sure the O's score again if the game had gone 20 innings.

While that was a bad decision, it was the byproduct of the team getting 4 hits total, in 11 innings while striking out 12 times. They got their first hit in the 4th, and their last hit in the 6th. 

That's what lost the game. Score 3 runs, and Britton is closing the door in the 9th. 

Posted (edited)

Well I can't argue that!!! Good one. On the other hand, the inept, one trick pony offense didn't help either. Not sure the O's score again if the game had gone 20 innings.

We'll never know that because of his bone head pitching decision. Not to make excuses for the offense but prior to Ubaldo coming in the Jays only had 6 hits to the O's 4, so it's not like they were tearing the cover off the ball either.

Edited by bmore_ken

We'll never know that because of his bone head pitching decision. Not to make excuses for the offense but prior to Ubaldo coming in the Jays only had 6 hits to the O's 4, so it's not like they were tearing the cover off the ball either.

Yes good point.  And I will always contend that UJ should of never , ever been on that WC roster.  It should of been Worley.  Then UJ would of never been an option.  Everyone but DD and Buck know UJ is a disaster out of the pen.  This loss is still so irritating on a lot of levels. 

Just heard Roch on the radio. Asked about PA, he said there's no way he breaks camp with the O's. He simply isn't ready to play the OF, no matter how much they love his power. So the May opt out was built in to allow them to see if he'll be able to make the transition. Gentry is looking like the guy that's getting the last roster spot dedicated to the OF. AJ, Kim, Smith, Rickard and Gentry are Roch's pick to come north. 

weird-O takes a deep breath and relaxes  :D

* Even though I still wish Tavarez could be kept

Just heard Roch on the radio. Asked about PA, he said there's no way he breaks camp with the O's. He simply isn't ready to play the OF, no matter how much they love his power. So the May opt out was built in to allow them to see if he'll be able to make the transition. Gentry is looking like the guy that's getting the last roster spot dedicated to the OF. AJ, Kim, Smith, Rickard and Gentry are Roch's pick to come north. 

weird-O takes a deep breath and relaxes  :D

* Even though I still wish Tavarez could be kept

Well that's good news.  I guess if someone like Trumbs or Smith gets hurt , he'll be first guy called up.  Which gets to your point of blocking a young guy with upside like Mancini.  And if there are no injuries, I just don't  see how he fits on the 25 man.  Btw,  I saw some of the game yesterday on the Pirates channel.  Alvarez still looks quite burly to put it nicely,  I just see no chance of him being effective in the OF. 

Agree it would be nice to keep Tavarez.  Maybe he sticks for the first couple weeks until we need another pitcher.  His numbers at the plate this spring are decent.  And his speed is something else.  Never know what will happen at that point in late April.

Yes good point. And I will always contend that UJ should of never , ever been on that WC roster. It should of been Worley. Then UJ would of never been an option. Everyone but DD and Buck know UJ is a disaster out of the pen. This loss is still so irritating on a lot of levels.

I know we should probably put this topic to bed, but I agree that loss was so irritating on so many levels and I think largely b/c it was a microcosm of the entire season.

Ultimately the offense was completely inept like it had been for so many games all season and it was beyond predictable. That to me is so frustrating, many fans knew the offense would be incapable which set the table for Buck's inexplicable managing in extra innings. I still don't think the offense would've scored a run even if the game went 30 innings. Lastly I 100% agree Ubaldo never should've been on that roster. Awful.

I know we should probably put this topic to bed, but I agree that loss was so irritating on so many levels and I think largely b/c it was a microcosm of the entire season.

Ultimately the offense was completely inept like it had been for so many games all season and it was beyond predictable. That to me is so frustrating, many fans knew the offense would be incapable which set the table for Buck's inexplicable managing in extra innings. I still don't think the offense would've scored a run even if the game went 30 innings. Lastly I 100% agree Ubaldo never should've been on that roster. Awful.

You just summed up why I'm so frustrated with the Alvarez signing.  Just more of the same from last year.  Yeah lets get the whole band back together even though we laid a colossal egg in the most important game of the year.  I guess Ken was right.  I am worked up about this as a carryover from last year's thud of an ending.

Spot on. The talking heads and media seem to forget this simple fact.

It was very clear in the last 6 weeks of the season that Baltimore's "swing from the heels" philosophy had run its course.

Alvarez on fire with bat.  Hit another dong today.  Buck may tell Seth Smith to take the next month off to heal his hammy.  I'm only half kidding.  Alvarez could come North at this rate. 

If this pans out tp help the team, I'll be first on the board with a mea culpa.

Alvarez on fire with bat. Hit another dong today. Buck may tell Seth Smith to take the next month off to heal his hammy. I'm only half kidding. Alvarez could come North at this rate.

If this pans out tp help the team, I'll be first on the board with a mea culpa.

He may help the team but I'll be curious to see how much he actually does if he stays hot.

Reason being is he probably won't get much playing time and Buck loves to rest his platoon guys after they have a couple good games lol. Always been a head scratcher for me

He may help the team but I'll be curious to see how much he actually does if he stays hot.

Reason being is he probably won't get much playing time and Buck loves to rest his platoon guys after they have a couple good games lol. Always been a head scratcher for me

DD and Buck love this guy.  He will get his chances. I can't believe we will be seeing the Trumbo and Alvarez show again this year.  Unreal.  With each donger, Alvarez's glove looks less and less like a frying pan to Buck.