Vote for Pedro
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#22 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

What outfield prospects do the Orioles actually have at Norfolk? There really isn't anyone worth worrying about down there who might lose playing time or a roster spot if Alvarez gets some starts in the outfield.

They have about zero OF prospects at Norfolk but they aren't on the 40 man either.  I'm talking about guys on the 40 man that will get cut if Pedro gets put on.  Like I said we will have to cut three guys from the 40 man to bring on Gentry, Bourn and Alvarez.  Santander and Tavarez are probably gone and then you are cutting someone like, Bridwell, Gunkle or D. Alvarez for Pedro.  Probably not a big deal,  but to me Pedro is pointless plus its a 2 million dollar throw away.

#23 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Vote for Pedro

Just say no to Pedro!!!!  One trick pony.  Duplicate upon duplicate skill set.  He will make Kim look like a gold glover.

#24 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,952 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Just say no to Pedro!!!! One trick pony. Duplicate upon duplicate skill set. He will make Kim look like a gold glover.

My kids like him so im biased lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#25 russsnyder

russsnyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

Vote for Pedro

" You're dreams will come true."

#26 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

What outfield prospects do the Orioles actually have at Norfolk? There really isn't anyone worth worrying about down there who might lose playing time or a roster spot if Alvarez gets some starts in the outfield.

Weird already mentioned this, but what about Mancini??  He is also trying RF and was first in line to come up from Norfolk if there was an injury.  I don't think he makes the team out of ST.  Not that he doesn't deserve it.  Just no room.  I mean DD already bumped Mancini back with the Trumbo signing.  Know he wants to get the failed band from last year all back to together with Pedro in the mix.  Total head scratcher, IMO.

#27 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

My kids like him so im biased lol

LOL!!  That's the best reason I've heard yet for bringing Pedro back.  Anybody that watched the O's last year for any length of time saw that Pedro was part of the problem with last year's team, not part of improving it for 2017.  Replacing Reimold and Alvarez with Gentry and Smith were the right moves.  Now we got Pedro again.  Lets get Nolan back again too.

#28 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:08 AM

Pedro with an opt out in May.  Whew!!  Hope he uses it!!  Perfect scenario would be that Pedro tears it up at Norfolk and then somebody's DH gets hurt.  We could get a warm body prospect in a deal, LOL.  But really there is a reason Pedro has been unemployed.  Other teams don't want this kind of limited skill set player hogging up a roster spot.

#29 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

It's a one-year, $2 million contract only if Alvarez is added to the 40-man roster. That doesn't affect the Rule 5 guys who have to spend the entire season on the 25-man if they're to be kept.

I just don't think it's worth getting worked up one way or another over this right now. If circumstances dictate that he get a shot, either because of an injury to someone else or he's lighting it up in spring training, that can be dealt with down the road. Right now my guess is that Alvarez (unless there's some opt-out in the contract I'm not aware of) will be ticketed to start the season at Norfolk as injury insurance.

The reason it's frustrating, is because all the language the team is using, is telling us that Pedro will be on the 25 man roster and will be playing OF/DH. Buck really likes having him on the team, so it sounds unlikely that they will keep a rule 5 guy and let PA walk. And that's the problem. It's not a slam dunk that either rule 5 guy will become an impact player. But Tavarez offers speed and gaudy on base numbers in AA & AAA. Santander is a switch hitting, power bat who also gets on base. So why add a one dimensional player at the direct sacrifice of one or more players that offer something new? Or at least the same thing Alvarez offers, but for pennies on the dollar. PA at DH means Trumbo in the OF. Either way, it's a weak defensive OF, with AJ being asked to cover still more ground, when he appears to be slowing down too.

I realize none of this has happened yet. But, like I said, the things that Buck is saying, and the things being reported on by the beat writers, is showing a strong indication that it's just a matter of time before we're watching Pedro in the OF, and striking out 200 times. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#30 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

The reason it's frustrating, is because all the language the team is using, is telling us that Pedro will be on the 25 man roster and will be playing OF/DH. Buck really likes having him on the team, so it sounds unlikely that they will keep a rule 5 guy and let PA walk. And that's the problem. It's not a slam dunk that either rule 5 guy will become an impact player. But Tavarez offers speed and gaudy on base numbers in AA & AAA. Santander is a switch hitting, power bat who also gets on base. So why add a one dimensional player at the direct sacrifice of one or more players that offer something new? Or at least the same thing Alvarez offers, but for pennies on the dollar. PA at DH means Trumbo in the OF. Either way, it's a weak defensive OF, with AJ being asked to cover still more ground, when he appears to be slowing down too.

I realize none of this has happened yet. But, like I said, the things that Buck is saying, and the things being reported on by the beat writers, is showing a strong indication that it's just a matter of time before we're watching Pedro in the OF, and striking out 200 times. 

Yep exactly.  You should read the quotes from DD as Pedro gets his first start at DH today.  He is literally drooling talking about the couple bombs Pedro hit on to Eutaw St last year, LOL!!!!  This is comical, DD/Buck's obsession with the long ball.  No mention of all the Ks and low OBP/low Avg and iron glove.  Just the couple bombs!!!

#31 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

This team will probably see it's world series drought continue for many years. DD builds teams for OPACY, and nowhere else. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#32 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,668 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

I agree with you. I don't think it's anything to get worked up about even if he makes the big league club. I still have a suspicion he's going to be a trade piece.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#33 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

This team will probably see it's world series drought continue for many years. DD builds teams for OPACY, and nowhere else. 

Yeah it seemed like DD/Buck were heading in a slightly different direction by bringing in Smith, Gentry, Bourn and Tavarez.  And I still like all those moves.  But like you said, if Pedro is on the 25 man with no other injuries, then Trumbs is in RF some of the time and either Gentry. Rickard or Mancini are off team.  And if Trumbs or Davis were hurt, Mancini needed to get the call.  I just don't get the upside of having Pedro on the 25 man or the 40 man. 

#34 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

I agree with you. I don't think it's anything to get worked up about even if he makes the big league club. I still have a suspicion he's going to be a trade piece.

This is what I'm holding out hope for.  Somehow a trade piece in early May after he scorches AAA pitching.  DD may find a desperate sucker in the AL.

#35 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

You would think that with the O's number one starter on the shelf, DD would of kept this 2 mil in his back pocket to help pay for a future acquisition.  Teams will be cutting ML talent at the end of spring training because of roster crunches.  But no , he spends it on a spare part that will most likely have no impact.

#36 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,668 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Man you are really worked up about this :lol:

#37 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

Man you are really worked up about this :lol:

How so???  Just telling it like it is.  Dumb moves need to be called out. I know the DD does no wrong  crowd doesn't want to hear it.  Too bad. :) Full disclosure.  I never liked Alvarez last year and nothing has changed.  He is the epitome of the O's inflexible failed offense to get this team past the WC game.

#38 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,668 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Actually what didn't get the O's past the w/c card game was Buck's pitching decision.

#39 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

Actually what didn't get the O's past the w/c card game was Buck's pitching decision.

Well I can't argue that!!!  Good one.  On the other hand, the inept, one trick pony offense didn't help either. Not sure the O's score again if the game had gone 20 innings.

#40 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

While that was a bad decision, it was the byproduct of the team getting 4 hits total, in 11 innings while striking out 12 times. They got their first hit in the 4th, and their last hit in the 6th. 

That's what lost the game. Score 3 runs, and Britton is closing the door in the 9th. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users